Flaunt Your Windows 8 Screenshots here

Metro.jpg

IMO this looks great until you notice all of the black blocks on the right with small, bottom-left corner icons. Why is the whole tile not an image like nearly everything else? Do not get me wrong I like Metro, I have an HTC Titan running WP7.5, I just do not like the look that section of the screen is giving off and am asking if that will change or is it just an option?

IMO this looks great until you notice all of the black blocks on the right with small, bottom-left corner icons. Why is the whole tile not an image like nearly everything else? Do not get me wrong I like Metro, I have an HTC Titan running WP7.5, I just do not like the look that section of the screen is giving off and am asking if that will change or is it just an option?

Yeah, I very much dislike how tiles for desktop apps look, which is why I will only be pinning Metro apps to my Start screen. It isn't hard to just start searching for a desktop app while on the Start screen or to pin a desktop app to the Desktop Taskbar, so not pinning any to the Start screen shouldn't be a problem for me or others.

i agree it would be nice to see desktop app icon color reflection on metro

It's a pity that the microsoft stuff in the middle - office apps, live apps, desktop stuff - don't have full metro tiles instead of the name and small icon.

I agree. On the SkyDrive App, if you have a Word document or PowerPoint project there's a full-fledged tile - not just a generic tile with a desktop icon and text. It looks much nicer as a full tile and Microsoft should implement that throughout all the Apps that appear on the Start Screen. Otherwise, it looks messy and like not much thought was put into it.

wish you can make the other tiles dark to go with the rest of the colors.

It's a pity that the microsoft stuff in the middle - office apps, live apps, desktop stuff - don't have full metro tiles instead of the name and small icon.

Desktop apps are like that to differenciate them from Metro Apps.

Whats that Clock app?

Something that I'm currently developing in VS11. My goal is to make a live tile with the time (still trying to sort through Microsoft's documentation on MSDN). Basically right now, it's just a huge full-screen clock and date display. If anyone's interested in it, I'll post it.

Sure why not. (Y)

It will be nice to see and check it

Here's a quick page I made with more info: http://billy.mozfaq.org/clock/index.htm

Everything that VS11 outputted when I went to package the app is included in the zip. You should be able to run Add-AppxDevPackage.bat to install.

Here's a quick page I made with more info: http://billy.mozfaq....clock/index.htm

Everything that VS11 outputted when I went to package the app is included in the zip. You should be able to run Add-AppxDevPackage.bat to install.

Well, I ran Add-AppxDevPackage.bat, command port promted me to Press any key to continue, and then nothing happened.

:(

I know I did something wrong :s

I think this one screenshot sums up how I'm feeling about the Beta:

p8483.png

I dunno, it just feels like something's...."missing".

Just because the Start Menu's gone doesn't mean Windows Update is... if you really don't know how to get there for some reason, I bent the webpage you're showing will change to accommodate Win 8 by the time it hits RTM... Or you could just Google search it. (Or Dogpile search it, but that's just my personal preference.)

Well, I ran Add-AppxDevPackage.bat, command port promted me to Press any key to continue, and then nothing happened.

:(

I know I did something wrong :s

I'm not around my Windows 8 system at the moment, but looking at the actual .bat, it looks like you have to run it from PowerShell.

REM #######################################################################
REM # Add-AppxDevPackage.bat
REM #
REM # <summary>
REM #    Add-AppxDevPackage.bat is a PowerShell script designed to install
REM #    Appx developer packages created by Visual Studio.  The Visual
REM #    Studio "Prepare Package" creates a signed Appx to a local target
REM #    folder.  The target folder will contain the .appx application file,
REM #    the signing certificate .cer file, the Add-AppxDevPackage.bat
REM #    script, plus a .\Dependencies\ folder containing all the
REM #    framework packages used by the application.
REM #
REM #    When executed from a local directory, the Add-AppxDevPackage script
REM #    simplifies installing a VS developer package on a new computer by
REM #    automating the following functions.
REM #
REM #	  1. Installs all the framework packages contained in
REM #		 .\Dependencies
REM #
REM #	  2. Installs the signing certificate .cer file into the
REM #		 local machine Trusted Root Certification Authorities store.
REM #
REM #	  3. Installs the application package .appx file.
REM #
REM #######################################################################

I was sure there was going to be an option to minimize the desktop app tiles from what I remember seeing once but it seems the CP doesn't have that in there. Dunno how much things would change visually for people but at least they'd take up less space in the end.

GP007, you may be mistaken for the "Computer Admin" apps or something. They can come up but you can hide them from the start screen.

No no, I mean I remember some screen shots a while back that showed the tiles for desktop apps being made smaller etc.

No no, I mean I remember some screen shots a while back that showed the tiles for desktop apps being made smaller etc.

down at the bottom right ther is an icon to zoom out or you can do clt scroll wheel to do the same thing and then from ther ya can select a group of tiles and Name them

down at the bottom right ther is an icon to zoom out or you can do clt scroll wheel to do the same thing and then from ther ya can select a group of tiles and Name them

Yeah, I know about that but i'm talking about something different that I remember seeing. Maybe I'll try and hunt down a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

windows-eins.jpg

My Windows 8 Consumer Preview desktop

Quite happy with the performance, and now I can remove the watermark and enable Windows 7 start orb button already.

Here is what my start screen looked as of last night:

How do you create the category names on the start screen?

windows-eins.jpg

My Windows 8 Consumer Preview desktop

Quite happy with the performance, and now I can remove the watermark and enable Windows 7 start orb button already.

Nice wall, care to share?

Quite like the retro XP start button. :p

FLmYU.jpg

SYeKN.jpg

On my laptop though, I hide the taskbar entirely, and do all my window switching thanks to this lovely little thing that comes with Microsoft Intellimouse software

tLY4c.jpg

They should really make it a part of Windows sometime.

And my laptop start screen for good measure. Not a fan of the DPI scaling - same res as my desktop, but shows one less line of metro apps

Zy32B.jpg

• Like 3