Windows 8 ARM COULD be Named Differently?

Microsoft planning to market Windows 8 ARM in a unique way, different naming?

Sinofsky revealed that Microsoft will be very clear in its product marketing to ensure end users are aware that Windows 8 ARM will not run their old legacy x86 applications. ?We are going to be very clear with how we name the product, what we talk about as the features and value proposition,? said Sinofsky. ?It?s only to our advantage to not have confused customers.? He then went on to explain that Microsoft will not allow a world where a customer goes into a store and has to buy software in a red box for ARM and a green box for x86. ?We won?t ever let that happen to a customer,? said Sinofsky. ?We will be clear what the value proposition and what the software is capable and we?ll do that with all the communication tools at our disposal.?

The admission that Microsoft will be clear in how it names Windows 8 ARM could see the company create a unique name for its tablet offering. Microsoft has long been a fan of marketing its different Windows offerings under separate SKUs, think Tablet PC Edition or Media Center Edition. Could the separate Windows 8 ARM naming and separate from x86 apps also mean that the product arrives early though?

Extract from: http://www.winrumors...fferent-naming/

Back to the topic laugh.gif : http://www.neowin.ne...-foley-reports/

post-345940-0-19272900-1316272142.png

Windows Compact Edition Embedded ARM Software Ultimate Live Tablet 8?

I think you need to come up with a more original and/or modern joke. That ones a little tired.

it was funny lol

I'm going with "Microsoft Octopus".... get it? 8 Arm... lol, I'm so funny.

:laugh: :blink:

how about W360 ?

I'm just thinking going to 5 SKU's

Starter = Less Features, lighter, restrictions and no Metro UI. (For netbooks with a resolution that can't use Immersive apps).

Home = Metro/Start Menu choice, most features.

Professional = HyperV/Other Features/Exclusive Features

ARM = Tablets, Metro UI default, no classic desktop.

Enterprise = Buisness, classic dsektop as default.

Starter = Less Features, lighter, restrictions and no Metro UI. (For netbooks with a resolution that can't use Immersive apps).

But there would be ARM laptops too. And +1 to the list. :)

From what I understand, the ARM edition will also have the classic desktop, but it will be limited as to what applications it can run. And I highly doubt they will call it the "ARM" edition.

From what I understand, the ARM edition will also have the classic desktop, but it will be limited as to what applications it can run. And I highly doubt they will call it the "ARM" edition.

Well it'll be something. But I think they should axe the classic desktop. I mean none of the classic desktop apps will run on it.

Wholly different architectures! Wow!

Did you see Apple rebrand the whole thing when Mac OS X started running on Intel? Nope. Even apps are universal: PPC/Intel 64/32-bit. Why Microsoft won't provide a single neat package is beyond me.

Did you see Apple rebrand the whole thing when Mac OS X started running on Intel? Nope. Even apps are universal: PPC/Intel 64/32-bit. Why Microsoft won't provide a single neat package is beyond me.

Because x86 apps won't run on ARM. If they don't tell people, newbies will buy a ARM computer and try and install a desktop app and can't install. So they flood forums/tech support asking why. I doubt Microsoft and developers want to recode everysingle app.

Backwards compatibility maybe? That's ignoring dotNET programs of course, which are platform agnostic.

Apple moved to a more powerful architecture and was able to emulate the old Power PC with the newer system (Not that it ever ran well) in this case Microsoft is allowing a less powerful architecture to run Windows and most probably it is not powerful enough to emulate x86.

Apple moved to a more powerful architecture and was able to emulate the old Power PC with the newer system (Not that it ever ran well) in this case Microsoft is allowing a less powerful architecture to run Windows and most probably it is not powerful enough to emulate x86.

Rosetta worked perfectly well in most cases. In any case it would be interesting to see if Microsoft will actually come up with a universal package themselves so developers won't have to put out multiple versions of the same app. Also, it doesn't explain why Microsoft insists on still having separate 64 / 32-bit versions instead of having one that does both things properly.