Metro Recycle Bin

Is it just me or is there no Recycle Bin for Metro? That means that in order to delete files you have to go back to the Classic desktop. I also find it strange that the only way to manage files is through Explorer on Classic, as trying to use the ribbon with a touch interface is obviously going to be less practical than a custom built application. This mandates the user constantly flick back and forth between Metro and Classic, which is a design no-no.

its also not finnished yo :p

And that contributed to the discussion how exactly? I am perfectly familiar with the term 'Developer Preview' and I specifically posted this in the 'Microsoft Beta' section so there would be absolutely no confusion. There was absolutely no need for your comment, regardless of how many smiles you elected to include.

My post was designed to question the logic of such a design decision and to seek the feedback of others, especially anyone that may have further knowledge to which I am unaware.

• Like 3

Is there a Recycle bin in WP7?

also point to note:

In the classic Shell it now dun ask before deleting the file if u press delete. It will delete it straight without asking for confirmation. I like it. Saves 2 seconds

And that contributed to the discussion how exactly? I am perfectly familiar with the term 'Developer Preview' and I specifically posted this in the 'Microsoft Beta' section so there would be absolutely no confusion. There was absolutely no need for your comment, regardless of how many smiles you elected to include.

My post was designed to question the logic of such a design decision and to seek the feedback of others, especially anyone that may have further knowledge to which I am unaware.

There is absolutely no need to be Harsh. If you start a topic, many would say their opinion and you wait until someone post their idea which you are looking for.

DKAngel could have meant that Its DV and Microsoft will come up with some solution in future.

• Like 3

Calm down, take a deep breath and chill.

What you're seeing isn't a beta but a pre-beta so I wouldn't be surprised if you see any missing parts being added in the official beta 1 build. From what I understand Microsoft will be providing a continuous cycle of builds to update the developer one right now so that as features mature they'll be announced and added to the next public build.

They learned from Windows Vista: Only mention what you have complete and available to use - don't make promises because it may or may not work out in the end.

• Like 3

There should technically be nothing a metro app generates that would need a trash can as they have their own storage that the app should manage itself.

Think of an app like a cartridge. All the assets, ROM and "save RAM" are in a managed bundle.

People are right, I don't see the need for a recycle bin in the metro UI but saying that, you can search your files inside, or they've shown that you can. I know you can do a file search, winkey+f And you should be able to select things and delete them.

I remember an older demo, or maybe even in the BUILD keynote that when you go to the "file browser" that you can bring up an explorer like menu by clicking on where it says Files and then select from your libraries or favorites iirc. Whenever they did a demo about selecting pictures for example, go back to that and check it out. Dunno if that's something the dev preview is missing though.

There is absolutely no need to be Harsh. If you start a topic, many would say their opinion and you wait until someone post their idea which you are looking for.

DKAngel could have meant that Its DV and Microsoft will come up with some solution in future.

I disagree. Their post contributed nothing to the thread. It's just as pointless as me going into every topic criticising a TV show and saying "you can always turn your TV off!". Or going into a topic about gang crime in towns and saying "well, you could always stay at home". It's intellectually void.

There should technically be nothing a metro app generates that would need a trash can as they have their own storage that the app should manage itself.

Think of an app like a cartridge. All the assets, ROM and "save RAM" are in a managed bundle.

I understand what you're saying but that ignores common usage for PCs. You only have to look at how ubiquitous USB pen-drives have become to understand how important it is for users to be able to move files around. Now, to put that in a real world context. Say a user download an email attachment using a Metro email client. Now they want to delete that file. Is every application expected to have its own Recycle Bin facility? That would make it much more difficult to switch between different applications, as each would have their own way of handling things. And what happens if a user remembers that they deleted a file but not which application they were using? Normally they would check the Recycle Bin but now that's not an option. And if you can delete a file in Metro but can only empty the Recycle Bin in Classic then that is a usability issue.

The only reason I bring this up is to find out whether anyone has seen any interviews or videos discussing the new direction that they're taking. For instance, if they're going to be adding a Metro version of Explorer?as GP007 seemed to suggest?or make other significant changes then that obviously changes things dramatically. I appreciate that a lot can change between now and release but sometimes these are proactive design decisions. It's like the ribbon - there's no way that they're going to drop it from the operating system and they have already stated that. Perhaps the relegation of file management to Classic is very deliberate, in which case I find it slightly concerning. To me that would indicate the deprecation of file management; an over simplification of the operating system, which seems strange when they're adding the ribbon to Explorer for accessibility for new users.

I disagree. Their post contributed nothing to the thread. It's just as pointless as me going into every topic criticising a TV show and saying "you can always turn your TV off!". Or going into a topic about gang crime in towns and saying "well, you could always stay at home". It's intellectually void.

if you disagree look at all the remaining post people have posted in your thread... they dont contribute either and even few teasing....

many wouldnt even want to post after seeing you harsh... I have ideas about it but wouldnt want to post here rather I am arguing with you....

This is public topic so be prepared to get any comment.... You are the only one who loses from being harsh here.

if you disagree look at all the remaining post people have posted in your thread... they dont contribute either and even few teasing....

GreyWolf, GP007, Zain Adeel and TechDudeGeorge all made posts that were relevant to the topic, yet you have not and instead elected twice to criticise me.

Anyway, while on the discussion of file management I think it would be interesting to see a Metro app for the clipboard. There could be a visual representation of an image, file type or text that could appear when you copy something, which would allow you to drag and drop between apps. It would also allow you to have a few layers to the clipboard, like is the case with Office. With Microsoft clearly putting some emphasis on social networking it would also be nice to see better sharing between applications. Metro is an opportunity for Microsoft to rewrite the rules and I really hope they make the most of it.

Well, windows does have a clipboard you can bring up, though I doubt anyone actually does. Or at least I remember it did. Anyways, I think a Metro app could access the system clipboard and display it etc. Dunno though, one of the devs around here who's messing with WinRT would know better.