Photo

If aliens existed/visted earth

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Poll: If aliens existed/visted earth

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

If aliens existed should it be exposed to the wider public?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What do you think would be the outcome of your answer to Q1?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:11

They most definitely exist and are well apart for us to visit each other.

But if, then it would depend on the place and time of the supposed visit. Some might welcome them as new alien overlords, gravely misinterpret them and **** everything up (there's a short story "Ritual" by Robert Sheckley about that, with reversed roles; recommended). Then there's governments and their agendas, a banal topic altogether.

Oh hell, just watch or remember "Mars Attacks"... we come in peace. Dove released in the air *z-zap*... uh-oh

And some, like me, would not believe it before seeing with own eyes.

#17 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:48

Considering the possibility that the aliens exist, I think, it's a fallacy to group them all together and debate whether they are hostile or friendly. Because if they do exist out there, there are probably the good AND the bad ones.

If there are competing forces (good vs. evil) among them, is there any form of mediation or justice in the Galaxy, a Supreme Galactic Court, or a Galactic Police?

Is our Solar System part of a Galactic Empire or a Republic?

Do Earth's civilizations compete for who's gonna represent us in the Galactic Senate? Do we all have to unite first to elect our representative? (One World Government, One World Religion Conspiracies).

I'm highly captivated by these questions.

One thing is certain is that the Aliens are way more intelligent than us. They should have a history and the breadth of experience of dealing with primitive civilizations like our own. They know all the pros and cons of trying to bring species out of the dark ages to civilization.

They know the cycles and developmental stages a civilization can go through. They know when a civilization is mostly likely to self-destruct. If they observe us, they must know that presently there's a great danger of us misusing our technologies and wiping the whole planet out. So, they may as well just stay out, sit back, and watch us until we make it to Type I civilization. A transition from Type 0 to Type 1 is precisely this critical point of possible self-destruction.

#18 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,529 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 13:00

Look in on our planet from an out siders point of view.

It's scary. We eat nearly every moving thing that lives and we kill each other, also we over breed.
We are a Virus.

Why would anyone want to visit? If I was to visit or speculate, I would think this place was hostile.

#19 Joey S

Joey S

Neowinian

• 729 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 13:13

If we can't even tolerate different races within our own species, can you imagine how we'd treat a completely alien species? Some would want to exploit them for financial gain, some would want to kill them, and others would be extremely xenophobic.

#20 Joey S

Joey S

Neowinian

• 729 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 13:19

Look in on our planet from an out siders point of view.
It's scary. We eat nearly every moving thing that lives and we kill each other, also we over breed.
We are a Virus.
Why would anyone want to visit? If I was to visit or speculate, I would think this place was hostile.

This!

If I was an alien, I wouldn't want anything to do with this planet. We're uncivilised, barbaric, belligerent, cruel, greedy, xenophobic wretches when you get down to it. Though it could be argued that our current social and economic dystopia makes us that way from birth. The only way to improve things involves a complete restructuring of society and our economic model.

#21 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,799 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:25

What if the aliens recognized all of our flaws and because they were benevolent wanted to help us improve our planet and our relationship with one another?

Also, another point: how do you think the existence of aliens would affect religion. The larger religions talk about man being created in God's image, what would happen if we encountered a species that looks nothing like us. And, of course, had never heard of any of our terrestrial religious figures? Plus no religious texts I know of speaks about alien life.

#22 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,021 posts
  • Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:29

Until Mankind can abandon religion completely. I think they'd find any notion of intelligence with us laughable. How long before religious zealots would declare the idea of life on other planets an affront to God or Allah, because the Bible or the Qu'ran doesn't mention Aliens.

#23 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,506 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:22

Ask the Neanderthals, Native Americans, and Australian Aborigines. Oh and the Tasmanian Tigers :rofl:

Considering we haven't found any, they might have run into the same issue..

That goes into the problem of limited space, two different races wanting to co-exist in the same place with the same resources. When you bring interstellar travel into it, it makes much more sense to just go somewhere else.

And we have found water else where, it seems to be quite plentiful in the universe (The rings of Saturn are ice crystals, the moon and mars both have polar ice caps, or you can make it by combining hydrogen and oxygen together)

What if the aliens didn't come for our inorganic resources but instead, wanted to sample the different species that most likely only exist on our planet? I think that would be the most logical explanation for any hostility on their part.

All that's required in that situation is a blood or skin sample, if we can clone animals then an advanced alien race would certainly be able to (and if they couldn't for some reason, we'd have something to trade)

Also, another point: how do you think the existence of aliens would affect religion. The larger religions talk about man being created in God's image, what would happen if we encountered a species that looks nothing like us. And, of course, had never heard of any of our terrestrial religious figures? Plus no religious texts I know of speaks about alien life.

One point I saw raised is that any alien species would be exempt from the original sin.

#24 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,239 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 21:39

Aliens do exist, have and are visiting Earth.

Mostly to observe -- not to make a mass, open landing, and not to solve our problems. ;)

And there are aliens who recognize a Creator -- tho not with the ritual mumbo-jumbo we tend to have.

#25 j4c3

j4c3

Neowinian

• 67 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 23:12

I'd say pics or it didn't happen… but I still wouldn't believe you :|

;)

#26 speedstr3789

speedstr3789

Neowinian

• 1,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 23:19

I'm thinking they would first want to talk to our president. And after having a conversation with him and his party they would conclude that our world is void of any intelligent lifeforms and destroy us.

#27 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

• 2,643 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 23:46

I'm thinking they would first want to talk to our president. And after having a conversation with him and his party they would conclude that our world is void of any intelligent lifeforms and destroy us move along.

That right there is their biggest mistake. If they are intelligent enough then they know not to talk to politicians!

#28 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,207 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 00:53

Mostly to observe -- not to make a mass, open landing, and not to solve our problems. ;)

And there are aliens who recognize a Creator -- tho not with the ritual mumbo-jumbo we tend to have.

the only mumbo-jumbo is what you just said

#29 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,799 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:02

You wouldn't have any credible evidence, would you? I do want to stress credible. Not some crack-pot in his basement ranting and raving incoherently about being abducted or something...

#30 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

• 1,362 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:05

THEY are among us...

Posted Image