Photo

Valve: Piracy is a Service Issue

valve piracy service gabe newell where is hl2:ep3?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,001 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:44

Because if cracks require internet activation, they can hardly be broken. I quit piratingsoftware with the hardest (long wait) codes to crack. It works and if it didn't, companies wouldn't do it. The crack requirement is able to DEMOTIVATE USERS, not crackers.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say.

#17 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,768 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 25 October 2011 - 21:19

I agree with him, since sometimes DRM actually ruins the gameplay experience. For me I pirated GTA4 before I bought it on Steam, now on my pirated copy I got 45fps with most settings turned up. Now my legit copy of the game with the same version, same drivers and same exact settings gets 33fps. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why I lost 12fps (some places it was even lower) when I hadn't changed anything with the game.

Eventually I got a crack for my legit copy and my fps went back upto 45+. The only reason I can think of that would cause such a difference is the DRM that the game comes with :/\

Sure Steam does use DRM, but its a pretty passive kind that has no effect on gameplay and doesn't get in your way. That's the way it should be, and not the way GTA 4 is.

#18 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,170 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 21:56

I agree with him, since sometimes DRM actually ruins the gameplay experience. For me I pirated GTA4 before I bought it on Steam, now on my pirated copy I got 45fps with most settings turned up. Now my legit copy of the game with the same version, same drivers and same exact settings gets 33fps. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why I lost 12fps (some places it was even lower) when I hadn't changed anything with the game.

Eventually I got a crack for my legit copy and my fps went back upto 45+. The only reason I can think of that would cause such a difference is the DRM that the game comes with :/\

Sure Steam does use DRM, but its a pretty passive kind that has no effect on gameplay and doesn't get in your way. That's the way it should be, and not the way GTA 4 is.

Doesn't GTA4 also use Games for Windows Live? I hate it when I buy a game off steam and it loads up the Steam UI on top of the game, and then the Games for Windows Live UI loads ontop of that. The crack should disable both of those which may be where the framerate drop was coming from.

#19 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

• 17,987 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 22:45

I'll be honest with you guys, I don't buy 100% of the games I play...

I do buy 100% of the games that released demos that I enjoyed playing and therefore bought the full game...

I don't see that as much of an excuse. You can always rent games, watch gameplay videos, read reviews, etc.

Ironically, the only games I've ever pirated are ones I've bought -- ones that have horrible DRM systems that are a pain in the ass. I don't feel bad about it, either -- if I bought it and don't want the headaches, I'm not going to apologize for that.

#20 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,447 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 October 2011 - 22:52

Service issue??? Says the guy who must have infuriated thousands of people who wish to play their Steam games without issues but complain that they can't because of various problems with their service.....

#21 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,001 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:07

Service issue??? Says the guy who must have infuriated thousands of people who wish to play their Steam games without issues but complain that they can't because of various problems with their service.....

Compared to the millions that have a perfectly acceptable experience, seems like a pretty decent success rate if you ask me.

And I do hope you're talking about issues actually relating to the Steam service itself, since it's not down to Valve to fix their partner's buggy software.

#22 curme

curme

Grand Inquisitor

• 4,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:21

Steam is only DRM in respect to it only allows you to play what you've bought on your account. To try and draw a comparison between Steam's "Passive DRM" and an "Active DRM" product like Securom is silly and your post is quite frankly petty.

I completely disagree, there will -never- be such a thing as an anti-piracy tool to demotivate pirates. The more secure a system claims to be the more driven the crackers become.

Heck, I bet a great deal of the cracks out there are made by people that probably don't even play games.

STEAM is anything but passive. If you buy a game, I'll use CIV5 and FEAR3 as an example. You have to create a STEAM account to play, even if you bought the games at a store. Ok, one you are registered the automatic updates begin. I just want to put the cd in and play the game!!!!!! STEAM tells me when the game will be ready to play, funny, I was ready to play it when I bought it!

And for those who say "offline" mode, first you gave to sit through the gigs of updates before STEAM will let you play the game you bought from another store.

#23 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,860 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:32

Please do not use this topic to discuss what/how you pirate. That's still agaist the forum rules.

#24 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

• 1,030 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:43

I don't see that as much of an excuse. You can always rent games, watch gameplay videos, read reviews, etc.

Ironically, the only games I've ever pirated are ones I've bought -- ones that have horrible DRM systems that are a pain in the ass. I don't feel bad about it, either -- if I bought it and don't want the headaches, I'm not going to apologize for that.

I don't pirate anymore and the main reason is http://www.giantbomb.com and their 'quick looks' which are up to an hours worth of them playing the game. Therefore it's so easy to know what to expect from the game and know whether if it's worth buying or not.

Piracy used to be wonderful when I was a student, I couldn't afford much at that time but a computer to do my course on so it was a welcome release from boredom/stress. Even so, I still purchased the titles I've played most later on. Nowadays I probably waste money by pre-ordering... lol.

#25 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,001 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:45

STEAM is anything but passive. If you buy a game, I'll use CIV5 and FEAR3 as an example. You have to create a STEAM account to play, even if you bought the games at a store. Ok, one you are registered the automatic updates begin. I just want to put the cd in and play the game!!!!!! STEAM tells me when the game will be ready to play, funny, I was ready to play it when I bought it!

And for those who say "offline" mode, first you gave to sit through the gigs of updates before STEAM will let you play the game you bought from another store.

And this is relevant to DRM... how?

Oh by the way, you can turn off automatic updating. Not sure why you'd want to though considering today's development culture of "broken-on-release, fix it with a patch".

#26 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,728 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:55

I completely agree with Gabe. DRM seriously puts me off (Ubisoft, i'm looking at you).
It's an antiquated way of thinking, imo.

I'm happy to pay the price, but offer me the service!

#27 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,466 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:30

Renting a game is often half the price of buying the game, or damn close..

I pirate some games, if they are good I buy them, if not then they are deleted within an hr.. So few games have Demos these days it's just a sin. And I'm not paying $20 to rent, or $40-60 to buy a game that half the time I find buggy and not very good. Sorry, not gonna happen.

#28 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

• 3,802 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:20

I've been saying Valve has got it right for quite a few months now. Having a wonderfully huge and functional community integrated with your DRM, along with a refined way to manage your entire library, is incentive enough for me to buy most games. In fact, Steam has gotten me off of piracy to the point where I only really download a game if it is from a company I have a grudge against, or I really cannot afford it and succumb to temptation. Usually I buy a game when it's financially convenient for me if I pirate it first.

It's no surprise that Gaben is well aware of what he's doing. I am completely dependent on a DRM software and I'll be damned if I'm not happy about it.

#29 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:36

yeah and securom has trashed a lot of systems including mine. I normally buy the discs and with some of the EA titles I had I got securom on them and it hosed my dvd drive (it will read but not burn anymore) and also can screw stuff up if you run a server os. some of the server role config stuff would screw up...

I know I should have not used discs for EA stuff but the games were cheap as hell at wal-mart so I got em.... baaaad mistake.

this partition has ben formatted since and the OS is ok, but my dvd drive is still messed up ;-(

securom and ubisoft's DRM is hell.

#30 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,411 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:04

And this is relevant to DRM... how?

Oh by the way, you can turn off automatic updating. Not sure why you'd want to though considering today's development culture of "broken-on-release, fix it with a patch".

At least Steam allows you to turn off updates and still play, something like GfWL won't even let you sign in if the game is out of date (or if the password is complex, but meh), and since a lot of GfWL games link your save file to your account, if you aren't logged in you can't play your normal save games (and if you then log in, you can't use your save games from when you were logged out)