Photo

Duplicate File Finder with Folder Caching?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Laxative Effect

Laxative Effect

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:30

Wanted: A duplicate file finder that will cache the file information of certain folders so that those whose contents don't change need not be re-scanned every time a dupe check is run. If you're wondering, no, I couldn't think of a more concise way to word that. I've tried, like, almost every program of that sort known to man, and have not yet found one that does what I need. Re-scanning the unchanging folders every time is both unnecessary wear and tear on the drives, not to mention a big waste of time.

Pertinent info: Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

So, any suggestions?

#2 OP Laxative Effect

Laxative Effect

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:14

Seriously? No one has any idea?

#3 Wolfbane

Wolfbane

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:32

Wanted: A duplicate file finder that will cache the file information of certain folders so that those whose contents don't change need not be re-scanned every time a dupe check is run. If you're wondering, no, I couldn't think of a more concise way to word that. I've tried, like, almost every program of that sort known to man, and have not yet found one that does what I need. Re-scanning the unchanging folders every time is both unnecessary wear and tear on the drives, not to mention a big waste of time.

Pertinent info: Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

So, any suggestions?

Running a duplicate file finder when you don't need to is both unnecessary wear and tear on the drives, not to mention a big waste of time.
How about instead of looking for a duplicate file finder with a cache, you just run the duplicate file finder for certain directories rather than the whole drive?

#4 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:38

You have to check to see whether the file has changed or not.

If you want you can use the file changed tag..

What are you trying to do overall?

#5 OP Laxative Effect

Laxative Effect

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:29

Trying to compare newly acquired images against old ones that are in folders, basically. Since the contents of most of these folders won't change, there's no need to re-scan them each time.

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:31

Trying to compare newly acquired images against old ones that are in folders, basically. Since the contents of most of these folders won't change, there's no need to re-scan them each time.

Try Picasa? It has an image duplicator finder

#7 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• Phone: Galaxy S3 (Wicked)

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:42

Visipics is a freeware duplicate image finder which can cache results. You must use Load Project / Save Project under the File menu to do so. I use it to find duplicate wallpapers.
http://www.visipics....title=Main_Page

#8 OP Laxative Effect

Laxative Effect

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2011 - 19:55

Visipics

Once I get accustomed to the wonky GUI, this thing might be my new best friend. Thank you.

#9 Celia Enmore

Celia Enmore

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 01 February 2013 - 14:55

duplicatefilesdeleter.com, A list of find duplicate files can be sorted, exported, and acted upon.