Duplicate File Finder with Folder Caching?

Question

Wanted: A duplicate file finder that will cache the file information of certain folders so that those whose contents don't change need not be re-scanned every time a dupe check is run. If you're wondering, no, I couldn't think of a more concise way to word that. I've tried, like, almost every program of that sort known to man, and have not yet found one that does what I need. Re-scanning the unchanging folders every time is both unnecessary wear and tear on the drives, not to mention a big waste of time.

Pertinent info: Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

So, any suggestions?

8 answers to this question

Wanted: A duplicate file finder that will cache the file information of certain folders so that those whose contents don't change need not be re-scanned every time a dupe check is run. If you're wondering, no, I couldn't think of a more concise way to word that. I've tried, like, almost every program of that sort known to man, and have not yet found one that does what I need. Re-scanning the unchanging folders every time is both unnecessary wear and tear on the drives, not to mention a big waste of time.

Pertinent info: Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

So, any suggestions?

Running a duplicate file finder when you don't need to is both unnecessary wear and tear on the drives, not to mention a big waste of time.

How about instead of looking for a duplicate file finder with a cache, you just run the duplicate file finder for certain directories rather than the whole drive?

You have to check to see whether the file has changed or not.

If you want you can use the file changed tag..

What are you trying to do overall?

Trying to compare newly acquired images against old ones that are in folders, basically. Since the contents of most of these folders won't change, there's no need to re-scan them each time.

Trying to compare newly acquired images against old ones that are in folders, basically. Since the contents of most of these folders won't change, there's no need to re-scan them each time.

Try Picasa? It has an image duplicator finder

Visipics is a freeware duplicate image finder which can cache results. You must use Load Project / Save Project under the File menu to do so. I use it to find duplicate wallpapers.

http://www.visipics.info/index.php?title=Main_Page