Which Phone Would You Choose?

254 members have voted

1. 1. Which Phone Would You Choose?

• Samsung Galaxy S2
    • Google Galaxy Nexus Prime

Pretty dead easy Look at the technical specs. SGS2 - 8MP camera, microSD card NP - 1.5GHz, 720p display, larger screen, flagship ics device. I think the NP is a touch better - unless you like MicroSD or the 8MP camera... Personally I am waiting for a quad-core handset before I part ways with this desire. There hasn't been anything yet that I wanted to do that *required* a faster handset, sure it may load quicker.. but for $600 for a 300Mhz at best speed improvement I can't justify it.

Lets fix some of those specs though:

The Galaxy Nexus has a 1.2 GHz CPU, not a 1.5 GHz. And the Exynos is a better CPU and GPU than the OMAP package, so that goes SGS II's way. The 720p display is pentile. If 720p is a big priority to you, then you shouldn't choose either phone, you should get one of the several other phones that have true 720p displays without pentile. I call this a wash between the lower resolution and the pentile. The screen is also larger on the Galaxy Nexus to accommodate the soft buttons at the bottom since it has no hardware buttons. So really no difference (if you're looking at a 4.5" SGS II, slightly bigger if you're looking at a 4.3" SGS II, thoguh I'd prefer 4.3" over 4.65 anyway).

So now you're left with the only pro for the Galaxy Nexus being that it's AOSP, and now we're learning that they aren't even all AOSP (though supposedly you can flash a stock google image to it and fix that). The SGS II is a better phone, AND cheaper!

• 2 weeks later...

Reasons to choose SGS2 over GN: micro sd support, better cpu and gpu, Super AMOLED Plus screen w/ rgb stripe subpixel layout (even at a lower resolution), size, probably better battery life

Reasons to choose GN over SGS2: Comes with ICS (even though SGS2 will get ICS), 720p (pentile) screen, Nexus phone (AOSP)

Winner: SGS2

No worries, SGS2 will get ICS very soon, then the only advantage of the Nexus is an arguably better screen, and AOSP. I'd hold off for a real 720p screen if I were you.

Exactly this ^^

I personally have a SGS2 and it is an amazing phone, i honestly cannot fault it!, the processor, the RAM, the camera and everything just works so well together!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with the nexus if I had to choose between the two of them. I went with the Motorola Rzr instead :)

S2 is a better phone hands down. Nexus has ICS but the GSII should have it by march as per samsung. Custom roms like cyanogen also remove samsung bloat. Touchwiz isnt bad though.

History, is the source.

Same thing will happen to GS II as with GS

Depends...and there is a difference when it comes with the GS. The GS cannot handle ICS along with touchwiz. If it was small enough, then I am positive ICS would be on the GS officially from Samsung. With phones including more and more memory, there shouldnt be a problem anymore.

So its not the lack of support like other upgrades before...its a matter of can it happen. Samsung is looking in to it but it doesnt look good.

• 3 weeks later...
History, is the source. Same thing will happen to GS II as with GS

Issue with this statement is that the SGS came with 2.1, got upgraded to 2.2, and then to 2.3, and almost got a half ICS pack though I agree 512 MB is a little low for ICS, so it didn't get ICS stuff. So by your logic, the SGS II WILL get an ICS and Jellybean update, and perhaps the next update after that too.

Nexus S is a similar phone with 512 RAM, yet its getting the update.

See the difference.

It doesn't matter if its nexus or not. People pay handsome amount of money and they don't even get supported for 1 and a half year.

Nexus S is a similar phone with 512 RAM, yet its getting the update.

See the difference.

It doesn't matter if its nexus or not. People pay handsome amount of money and they don't even get supported for 1 and a half year.

Nexus S....no touchwiz taking up extra space and is updated by Google. And is why it is getting ICS.

Galaxy S...has touchwiz and apps that rely on that interface. Updated by Samsung.

If the Galaxy S didnt have TW, then it would be getting the update.

This sis a thing they should've thought when releasing the phone.

They never thought of the customers and supporting it after sometime.

This is the problem.

How could they think of the size of ICS when it was not even released yet and not much info known about it at the time? Cannot predict the future. And this is one of the things Google is working on and since it took them so long, it will take a while. ICS was the first step...will have to wait and see if things get any better. And with phones coming with more and more memory, this will most likely not be a problem in the future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...