Jeremy Clarkson strike comments bring BBC apology

The point is, it's seemingly acceptable for him to say that about Strikers, but had he done the same to Jews (as an example), the furore would be deafening. It's hypocritical. It's inciting hatred towards a group of people. Some may say it's just a joke, but again, replace the word "Strikers" with a different group of peoples and you'll get a media storm. The way I see it is, if it's not acceptable to say it about one group, why is it acceptable to say it about another?

If you know anything about Jeremy he has said similar things and made fun of all kinds of people in the past, notably germans and Mexicans. If you think this is inciting hatred then you obviously have no sense of humour whatsoever.

You are saying they're cretins because they don't want their pensions and rights eroded by an anti-worker government. Wow!

anti-worker government? Don't you mean anti-work unison members? They are the ones who aren't working.

I support the strikers but I really don't care what Clarkson has to say, no one should take him seriously.

+100

"I didn't for a moment intend these remarks to be taken seriously - as I believe is clear if they're seen in context,"

Moreover those who watch top gear should know what he's like and yet are incandesant with rage when he says something like this. I hope those who decry what he's said don't bother to watch Top Gear and REALLY stick to their morals. In fact lets take this to the next step, don't watch any BBC programmes, listen to BBC radio shows, watch the news...etc...etc...

In fact why don't the complainers watch the news and find something to really complain about, lets start with banking, double dip recession (i.e the important things not some comment from a bloke on the tv that's being blown out of all proportion)

(rant was over until someone mentioned the Jews.... )

What;s this thread become, if he HAD said jews or if he HAD said something else... please... He didn't. That's the same argument of not crossing a road because you might get run over. You could take that argument and replace it with anything.

What if Clarky had said gingers or women who have still to work out what steering lock is when trying a 300 point reverse manoeuvre only to give up and find a space they can drive forward into and come out facing forward on the other side.

Point is he didn't say that any trying to say "what if" is pretty much not short of vilification. What surprises me here he makes a comment about suicide jumpers but that's glossed over because it's not relevant to the news. I'd bet my last dollar if there was a media frenzy about suicides, like in Wales last year, it would be the same

I sense a "what if clarkson said" thread coming on.

Some say he;s known for his sense of "humor"

Some say it's been blown out of all proportion.

All we know....he's the clarkson :D

A tongue-in-cheek statement from Downing Street added: "Execution is not government policy and we have no plans to make it government policy."
Source. DigitalSpy.

Don't get why the unision is saying that Clarkson should be sacked from the BBC.

Official Clarkson doesn't work for the BBC as he's freelance and his company is contracted by the BBC, just like the other two presenters. The way they work, makes perfect sense as they give themselfs their own salary :D

It's just ridiculous all this, the man has an opinion, he was born with a voice so he is perfectly entitled to saying what he wants, if others don't like it, that's their problem.

You can't give offence only take it, because what's offensive to one is not offensive to all.

As far as I'm aware The One Show is not a live programe, so theirfor Ofcom would of had to watch and regulate the show, and it passed fine.

So all these people moaning really need to reasses their own lives and worry about other things.

But this is the damn problem with the Union, they messed this country up in the 70's and made England how it is today, with no manufacturing etc etc. If people don't like their job and go on strike over silly things then leave and give it to the X amount of unemployed people.

^ Not just that, but Clarkson owns the rights to Top Gear, not the BBC. If they terminate his contract, they lose one of their biggest shows and they're just not going to do that.

Very true, for me I love Top Gear. Yes it's more of an entertainment show, but it entertains me. Without TG there really would be no reason for a TV license, especially as F1 has pretty much gone

^ Not just that, but Clarkson owns the rights to Top Gear, not the BBC. If they terminate his contract, they lose one of their biggest shows and they're just not going to do that.

exactly, why would they fire JK? for a political comment with a strong humorous undertone...pfft get real people

The thing with this is, if anybody watched it, 2 mins before that clip with him saying this, he was praising the strikes because all the roads were empty so he could get where he wanted fast!

He was totally being sarcastic, people don't like him/don't understand him...fine! don't watch him! if you do, don't then complain because you don't like what hes doing....you will only have half the info!! :)