Best way to install Lion? Or a LiveDVD/USB?

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure that most people like me that actually own all Apple hardware will refuse to help people wanting to run OSx86. That's probably why you haven't gotten any responses.

They have websites and forums for this kind of discussion. Just google OSx86.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure that most people like me that actually own all Apple hardware will refuse to help people wanting to run OSx86. That's probably why you haven't gotten any responses.

They have websites and forums for this kind of discussion. Just google OSx86.

I own a copy of OS X Lion on the USB drive I ordered from the Apple Store, which is Apple hardware. I just want to install in on my PC.

Well, Im hoping to get some help from the Neowin community beforehand.

I own a copy of OS X Lion on the USB drive I ordered from the Apple Store, which is Apple hardware. I just want to install in on my PC.

Well, Im hoping to get some help from the Neowin community beforehand.

USB is generally the way to go, though to install it I am fairly certain you will need to get a hold of a usable OS X machine so you can prepare a USB stick for installation on a PC. I do not believe using the one straight from Apple will work.

I've generally found all the answers I've needed at insanelymac for OSx86.

That doesn't count. When I say Apple hardware, I mean the 27", 24" and 20" iMac, the PowerMac G5, and two MacBook Pro's I own. That's what I meant when I said hardware. In my opinion, if you want OS X, buy a Mac.

I recommend insanelymac.com, I learned almost anything about hackintoshes from there.

The most important thing is you need to check your hardware (vga card,audio,cpu, etc...) compatibility. (for example: Lion only works on Intel cpus for now)

That doesn't count. When I say Apple hardware, I mean the 27", 24" and 20" iMac, the PowerMac G5, and two MacBook Pro's I own. That's what I meant when I said hardware. In my opinion, if you want OS X, buy a Mac.

Wow, bit rude. Refusing to help him because you decided to spend all that money on official Apple h/w, got cheated by their pricing and then saying you won't help him because he didn't want to waste his money?

On topic - Firstly you would need to make sure you have correct hardware. I used this website in the past and have found it beyond helpful! Hope that helps :)

• Like 2

No help here. Illegal. Why Lion anyways? Snow Leopard is so less bloated and actually works.

It's not illegal, only a violation of the EULA providing you actually buy a copy of OSX. Do we have to do this everytime a OSX86 thread comes up. :rolleyes:

Wow, bit rude. Refusing to help him because you decided to spend all that money on official Apple h/w, got cheated by their pricing and then saying you won't help him because he didn't want to waste his money?

On topic - Firstly you would need to make sure you have correct hardware. I used this website in the past and have found it beyond helpful! Hope that helps :)

Rude? Maybe. Cheated? No. Not at all. I've worked my ass off to buy Apple hardware since I was 15. That was 10 years ago. Every time I've tried to build a PC, I've always had some piece of hardware DOA, or fail a year afterwards. I decided to buy something I can take out of the box and turn on and never have to worry about fixing myself... which to me is important since I'm an IT Manager who deals with Windows and terrible hardware from other companies every day.

Hey

Whats the best way to install Lion or use a LiveDVD/USB on a PC?

Thank you

if you have a gigabyte board go for kakewalk.se

if not, or even if kakewalk works for you check tonymacx86.com and is forum and download section, audio extensions, multibeast fixes etc.

and always check osx86project.org, for hardware compatibility lists and the insanelymac forum for knowledge and whatever.

search on those forums for dsdt, that is the way to go right now for making hardware work, chameleon boot loader with dsdt for your hardware.

and i hope you are running on intel

It does count as that USB drive is offically from Apple, thus it is Apple hardware.

No help here. Illegal. Why Lion anyways? Snow Leopard is so less bloated and actually works.

It is not illegal. There is a sticky saying it as well.

I just perfer Lion thus the reason I doubt it.

Rude? Maybe. Cheated? No. Not at all. I've worked my ass off to buy Apple hardware since I was 15. That was 10 years ago. Every time I've tried to build a PC, I've always had some piece of hardware DOA, or fail a year afterwards. I decided to buy something I can take out of the box and turn on and never have to worry about fixing myself... which to me is important since I'm an IT Manager who deals with Windows and terrible hardware from other companies every day.

You choose to "work your ass off" to buy Apple hardware and pay a much higher price. I simply choose to buy pieces of my PC at a way cheaper price, get better hardware specs and now want to run OS X on it. Nothing else. I personally have never had a piece of hardware Ive bought for a PC fail on me for and other reason that any regular piece would fail.

Personally Id like to run a LiveDVD or LiveUSB of Lion before install it as I just want to see how it runs on my PC. If it doesnt work correctly, I have another PC to install it on.

Thanks to all who are trying to help out.

If anyone else has tips, please share :)

I have *zero* experience with OSx86, but on a "real" Mac you can simply install the OS from the standard installer onto an SD card, USB stick or similar and the machine can boot from it just fine - although it'll be pretty slow. Alternatively, you can simply duplicate a fresh install onto a USB drive using Disk Utility.

Assuming the bootloader that allows you to boot Mac OS X on non-Apple hard does a decent job, I'd guess that this should work on any hardware that supports OSx86.

This. If you can't find the help on TonyMac about it. Then you can't get help anywhere.

This. Tonymac is best community for OSX86 users.

I dual boot Lion on my PC and its certainly not "illegal" if you buy the disc and software to get it installed. If you use certain distro's that are pirate versions then its certainly not allowed to be discussed here.

It does count as that USB drive is offically from Apple, thus it is Apple hardware.

It is not illegal. There is a sticky saying it as well.

I just perfer Lion thus the reason I doubt it.

You choose to "work your ass off" to buy Apple hardware and pay a much higher price. I simply choose to buy pieces of my PC at a way cheaper price, get better hardware specs and now want to run OS X on it. Nothing else. I personally have never had a piece of hardware Ive bought for a PC fail on me for and other reason that any regular piece would fail.

Personally Id like to run a LiveDVD or LiveUSB of Lion before install it as I just want to see how it runs on my PC. If it doesnt work correctly, I have another PC to install it on.

Thanks to all who are trying to help out.

If anyone else has tips, please share :)

i dont recomend booting from usb, it is more than slow and you won't get the feel of how it works witch is the same as a genuine mac if you have the proper hardware dsdt and kernel extensions. i also don't recommend switching from a usb disk to hdd with the carbon copy cloner since i did the same and got some sluggish effects. clean install is always the way to go.

if you know witch board you are using, sound board chip, graphics board etc it's pretty easy to search the proper dsdt and extensions.

i also recommend you do the clean install reformatting the hdd with proper apple partitions, that is GUID and HFS Journaled.

on a side note, either with the beast tool or kakewalk, after having the bootable install pen made you can just go in it and replace the dsdt with the proper one for your hardware if you find it online or if you extract it from your hardware, and then just place it in the pen, boot, install and all should be ok, if sound and graphics don't work just run the multi beast and install the proper ones reboot and you will have it all working.

i am assuming you have the proper hardware since you didn't posted it.

good luck

Ah the best aspect of the Apple community. The elitism...

Seriously, if you don't care for the topic then you don't need to respond. This is a free forum where people help others when they can and are willing. There is no mandatory help policy and no one is paid by Apple or otherwise...

If it makes you feel good that you shoved tons of money into someone's hands then so be it, but there is no need for the penis measuring contest of who spent more money on whatever. If you don't like the thread, skip it. Unless it is in violation of the rules, which this one is not.

I paid good money for my hackintosh and its great. I still happy with it. Don't ridicule others just paid more for your gear.

erm. i don't get the logic here. if you paid good money for a hackintosh. why not just get a cheaper mac?