Simple Android interface/ROM? (for my mother)

My mom has the option of getting a second-hand Orange San Francico (which is a ZTE Blade), which comes with CyanogenMod (2.3.4).

She has attempted to use it but Android is too complicated for her.

Does a simple interface overlay/ROM or something like that exist to help her out?

Go WP7, with its tile interface, simple - yet brilliant... I have recommended to lots of older folk. People with arthritis in fingers use WP7 with ease too lol - I know people who have told me

Go WP7, with its tile interface, simple - yet brilliant... I have recommended to lots of older folk. People with arthritis in fingers use WP7 with ease too lol - I know people who have told me

You must have missed the part where he said Android. Common mistake.

That may be all well and good, but spending hundreds of pounds on a WP7 phone is a little excessive for someone who (by the sounds of it) just needs to customize Android to their needs a bit.

My mom has the option of getting a second-hand Orange San Francico (which is a ZTE Blade), which comes with CyanogenMod (2.3.4).

She has attempted to use it but Android is too complicated for her.

Does a simple interface overlay/ROM or something like that exist to help her out?

You could go with Metro UI

https://market.android.com/details?id=chrisman.android.home.metroui&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNocmlzbWFuLmFuZHJvaWQuaG9tZS5tZXRyb3VpIl0.

Still uses android apps on the backend, but yes the frontend is all pretty simple. Or as others have mentioned MIUI is another nice one.

CyanogenMod 7 is rock solid. Look around on XDA-Developers or rootzwiki (in the appropriate forums, of course) and you'll find lots of community-driven custom software. CyanogenMod being the best, IMO

Those suggesting Cyanogen are kind of missing the point and the OP, it will already come with Cyanogen. He wants something different that is easier to use like an overlay launcher.

Still think for ease of use in terms of selection that the Metro UI app would be ideal.

https://market.android.com/details?id=chrisman.android.home.metroui&hl=en

post-110545-0-43168200-1323769936.jpg

Coming in to a thread about someone who already has an Android phone and is looking for advice about it, then thinking that the best advice is to spend hundreds of pounds on a new device...

thestupiditburns.jpg?w=1cbe7970

-1 MIUI

It is too buggy, not fully translated from Chinese, Too much like iOS in design aspects but not enough like iOS in ease of use. I do not suggest it.

I would probably go with the WP7 rip-off app. Personally I think it would be nice if there was an overlay that just had big buttons for old people to make calls.

Just put her commonly used icons on her home screen and teach her. People are very unwilling to learn new technology, especially when they are older, but there really isn't anything difficult about it. The biggest difference between an iPhone and Android for the normal user is that the iPhone has all the icons on the home screen.