Dynamic Updates on non-domain PC's

Greetings,

Have a quick question for you guys. I run a small network with a few AD clients, but there are also a few Linux, XP Home, etc. machines that are not members of the domain. For some reason, these clients do not dynamically update their hostnames, but the PC's on the domain do.

Ideally, i'd like to have all PC's that connect obtain full hostname (computername.domain.local)

For the zone domain.local, I have enabled Nonsecure and secure updates. In my DHCP configuration I have also enabled dynamic updates for DHCP clients that do not request updates (see attached image for a screenshot of the configuraiton).

Would appreciate any advice or insight!

post-2434-0-56956000-1323584238.png

You need to understand that these machines are not in the domain.local dns domain. how do you think that they are going to update a record in a domain they don't belong to?

either manual entries, or a wins database is what you would need.

sc302, while I agree they are not a member of the Active Directory domain, they still can resolve as with that domain in their FQDN.

Now I have never had to deal with this -- but I agree your suppose to be able to do it.

I do believe in the linux dhclient.conf you can set some stuff so it will send it hostname and domain name to the dhcp server so it will register.

To windows machines that are not members of your AD domain.. As long as your domain is UNSECURED they should work.

But it might be easier to just set these handful of machines that are not members of your AD to static IPs or dhcp reservations so they always get the same IP, and then manually create your A and PTR records for them.

I might have to fire up my play domain VM and give it a look over, it is a interesting question. And best thing -- is something I have not seen asked before here on neowin ;)

Guys,

Thank you both so much for you input.

I wanted to follow up and let you know that I was able to accomplish this by setting DHCP option 015 (DNS Domain Name) to domain.local. I then purged my leases and rebooted all the PC's, they then properly registered their A/PTR records as intended. I did have to modify /etc/sysconfig/network on the CentOS boxes and add the line DHCP_HOSTNAME=Name (with Name being the desired hostname).

Thanks Again!

^ Well there you Go sc302!

Linux and Windows non domain members to dynamically update Windows server AD DNS.

post-14624-0-07021100-1323627208.jpg