Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SOPA Delayed until 2012

7 posts in this topic

Posted

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) bill has been delayed until 2012. The House Judiciary Committee adjourned without voting on it.

The Committee was wrangling over the many amendments proposed to the legislation. U.S. Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, an opponent of the bill, put forth several of them.

In a statement on SOPA, Lofgren cited security experts who say it could imperil cyber security, consumer groups that say it could raise prices for online goods, human rights advocates who say it could legitimize Internet censorship, educational institutions that say it could bring criminal liability for innocent conduct and investors who say it could stifle investment in legitimate Internet businesses.

Lofgren, however, is a minority among lawmakers even though netizens all over the U.S. oppose SOPA.

"I am pleased that the unfounded claims of critics of the Stop Online Piracy Act have overwhelmingly been rejected by a majority of House Judiciary Committee members. Members consistently voted by a 2-1 margin to defeat amendments that would have made it more difficult to stop the problem of counterfeit products and online theft of America's intellectual property,

Posted

Why post a news article from the 16th? It wasn't really delayed.

http://www.techdirt....il-2012.shtml?r

Update.... Or not. Despite the fact that Congress was supposed to be out of session until the end of January, the Judiciary Committee has just announced plans to come back to continue the markup this coming Wednesday. This is rather unusual and totally unnecessary. But it shows just how desperate Hollywood is to pass this bill as quickly as possible, before the momentum of opposition builds up even further.

https://www.facebook...13386225348724/

Posted

Sopa means soup in my country. No soup for me in 2011? :(

2 people like this

Posted

I read somewhere that SOPA is in 2011 still, that the 2012 thing was just to mislead the opposition, and that they dont wanna delay since the opp is getting more vocal about it as time goes on.

Posted

Sopa means soup in my country. No soup for me in 2011? :(

ha-ha-ha. Thats funny. NOT

human rights advocates who say it could legitimize Internet censorship

Exactly. They are trying to control the net at any cost. Corporations are behind, like always (they made wars, why not this). Next stop?. Privacy.

1 person likes this

Posted

Resumes next week not 2012

http://www.techspot....ot-in-2012.html