LG Intros 27" 3D IPS Panel With 2mm Bezel @ CES

LG will showcase an IPS panel with a super-thin bezel during CES 2012 next month.

LG is set to

blow some minds in a few weeks

during CES 2012 with a lineup of new IPS monitors, one of which features a bezel somewhere around 1 to 2-mm thick: the DM92 series.

Given that the big reveal is just around the corner, LG naturally didn't provide much in regards to details. However the DM92 series will measure 27-inches, support 3D content, and incorporate an IPS panel which "enables greater depth, consistent color and brightness at wider viewing angles compared with conventional 3D displays."

"The quality and technological superiority of LG?s 3D display products are second to none, according to the findings of internationally renowned research organizations and respected media outlets," said Havis Kwon, President and CEO of LG Home Entertainment Company. "The 2011 IPS monitor line-up shows LG?s commitment to further build upon on this reputation and technological prowess in order to provide consumers with the most immersive home entertainment experience possible."

In addition to the DM92, LG will showcase the 23-inch DM82 series sporting an IPS panel, built-in 7-watt speakers, support for 3D content and a "chic and futuristic design. There's also the 27- and 23-inch DM52 series which offers "versatility and efficiency in a flexible package" including HDMI and USB connectivity, and immersive 3D with IPS.

Rounding out LG's CES 2012 lineup will be the D43 monitor. "Optimized for 3D, LG?s D43 monitor offers a host of new technologies and features. The monitor ensures bright 3D images as well as SUPER Resolution and vivid colors through the 3D effect mode. The D43 easily converts 2D content into 3D without any additional software. A 3D hot key enables users to easily adjust and control the depth of 3D images."

LG?s new 2012 IPS monitor line-up will be available globally starting February 2012. Further details are expected to be released in the coming weeks.

Eyefinity/Surround, anyone?

Where I'm curious about is the pricing for the 23" IPS panels. (Why 23"? That is, in fact, a typical PC display size, especially for multi-display Eyefinity setups.) There has, in fact, been a general *lack* of IPS, let alone 3D, in the 23" size, except at the high-priced end of things. (Why do you think that TN hangs on in that size?) If IPS can come in close enough to TN in price (even better, bringing 3D support iwth it, which is impossible for TN), then that would be a win for everyone.

If it's only 1920x1080 though that will be a let down for computer use. Would need to be 2560x1440 at a minimum for me to consider replacing my three 30" 2560x1600 displays for NVIDIA Surround / Eyefinity usage.

I do like the 2mm bezel though that is really amazing.

If it's only 1920x1080 though that will be a let down for computer use. Would need to be 2560x1440 at a minimum for me to consider replacing my three 30" 2560x1600 displays for NVIDIA Surround / Eyefinity usage.

I do like the 2mm bezel though that is really amazing.

if it comes out at 1080p, you see who they are obviously targeting... the video watcher, not the computer user / gamer

if it comes out at 1080p, you see who they are obviously targeting... the video watcher, not the computer user / gamer

Horsefeathers.

22", 23" and even 24" displays are typically 1920x1080 - these are *all* typical for PC usage - not video display usage.

Now if you are talking larger than that (say, 30" and above), your case would, indeed, be valid.

However, sub-30" displays are not typically used for video, just as 30"-plus displays are atypical for IT (computer) usage.

I'm pretty sure the resolution will be 2560x1440, especially since LG is the same company that provides their panels for the 27" iMac's.

Horsefeathers.

22", 23" and even 24" displays are typically 1920x1080 - these are *all* typical for PC usage - not video display usage.

Now if you are talking larger than that (say, 30" and above), your case would, indeed, be valid.

However, sub-30" displays are not typically used for video, just as 30"-plus displays are atypical for IT (computer) usage.

typical now, but it was 16:10 for the longest time was "typical" i'd rather have a 16:10 in that size.... they are only going 16:9 because its cheaper to use video market panels on the computer monitors also.....

3D here, 3D there. Grow up, will ya, make it 4D or 5D already. On the whole 3D kaboodle by Dara O'Briain:

"3D is like tuberculosis; it flares up once a generation and you have to zap it with anti-biotics and get on with your life" :laugh:

• Like 2

Obviously. My post was more a reply to people commenting about using this for Eyefinity.

Where I'm curious about is the pricing for the 23" IPS panels. (Why 23"? That is, in fact, a typical PC display size, especially for multi-display Eyefinity setups.) There has, in fact, been a general *lack* of IPS, let alone 3D, in the 23" size, except at the high-priced end of things. (Why do you think that TN hangs on in that size?) If IPS can come in close enough to TN in price (even better, bringing 3D support iwth it, which is impossible for TN), then that would be a win for everyone.

you mean, like, Dell's 23" for ~300?

i hate the whole 1080p trend. it's just an excuse to charge more for less. if my 21.5" monitor is 1080p, your whopping 24"+ monitor should NOT be the same resolution. it's just ludicrous at 27".

hdtv.png

i hate the whole 1080p trend. it's just an excuse to charge more for less. if my 21.5" monitor is 1080p, your whopping 24"+ monitor should NOT be the same resolution. it's just ludicrous at 27".

+1

My 24" monitor is 1920x1200 and I see no reason to "downgrade", hell if I were to buy a new monitor later it would need to be in the 2560x1600 range mentioned by previous posters.