Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve B.

Show us your Workstations! - 2012 Edition

554 posts in this topic

I have a macbook pro 17 from 2007, that thing has amazing sound for a laptop, only problem is it wont turn on haha.

That's awesome but that's sad that it won't turn on

how can laptop speakers be torture to our ears? @_@

Exactly what remixedcat has said.

1 person likes this

A little update:

post-420821-0-61607800-1346696529.jpg

2 people like this

I'll show you mine :D

I just have one question...why?

I just have one question...why?

It's portable enough to carry in a back pack and I really don't have to suffer bad sound from laptop speakers. When you travel a lot... you just can't buy a good set of speakers each time you set foot on a new place :( (well you can but it would be troublesome)

Oddly, over the years, my hearing tastes have changed. When I was in my 20's and Early 30's (Almost 40 now), if I heard something that came out of laptop speakers, tiny cheap speakers, or poor quality speakers, I would turn it off, or do everything in my power to fix the sound. I even used to run an 8 channel sound mixer and sometimes 16 channel for my church back then and always had postive feedback on how good it sounded.

Now days, I guess I have older and probably more used to lesser quality sound, because I will sometimes find myself happy to just have any music coming out of 'tin can' speakers not to say though that I don't appreciate good sound. :)

-------------

Dot Matrix - your accent lighting is pretty cool! What are you using to do this?

Oddly, over the years, my hearing tastes have changed. When I was in my 20's and Early 30's (Almost 40 now), if I heard something that came out of laptop speakers, tiny cheap speakers, or poor quality speakers, I would turn it off, or do everything in my power to fix the sound. I even used to run an 8 channel sound mixer and sometimes 16 channel for my church back then and always had postive feedback on how good it sounded.

Now days, I guess I have older and probably more used to lesser quality sound, because I will sometimes find myself happy to just have any music coming out of 'tin can' speakers not to say though that I don't appreciate good sound. :)

Guess I'm still in my 20's... will give you feedback at 40's!

I forgot about good speakers when I got my first laptop. I just press Play and, if I want to, just use the headphones, which are very good. If I'm working or something, the music just come from the tiny speakers of my 13 inch MacBook Pro.

I can hear beyond normal frequencies.... on the upper end around 28khz-32Khz.

-------------

Dot Matrix - your accent lighting is pretty cool! What are you using to do this?

I'm the other way around, as I get older (40) sound quality is becoming more important, it's so bad I rather watch a movie on my PC than the TV because for now my PC speakers are tons better than the builtin crappy speakers on our TV, and I'm a FLAC fanatic

2 people like this

I'm the other way around, as I get older (40) sound quality is becoming more important, it's so bad I rather watch a movie on my PC than the TV because for now my PC speakers are tons better than the builtin crappy speakers on our TV, and I'm a FLAC fanatic

Another lossless fanatic here too, all my music library is in either FLAC or APE, sometimes tta or tak, being a bit presumptuous I can tell the difference between a MP3 320 VBR file and a lossless one, but not from ogg or "mp4" (audio part)

1 person likes this

I most of mine in vbr v0 or v2 .mp3 for my phone and desktop gets higher bit rates, however most of my music is purchased downloads and most of those don't give you flac or I pay a little less for 320 or whatever.

Slight update:

7654005046_79ec95563b_b.jpg

7246484970_d6a7ae49a4_b.jpg

7246485268_21359b3bc2_b.jpg

7260253028_efb6edff46_b.jpg

2 people like this

You got a nice camera how much did you pay for it?

1 person likes this

Here is my home office at the moment, nice and simple:

<snip>

Is that a University Of Huddersfield graduate I see?

@Stephen: It is indeed, got two courses from there and the misses who I met at Uni had one, all on display.

This is the reason why you get a home theater (surround sound)...I love my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for my desktop, but there's just nothing like a LED TV + Blu-ray + 5.1 surround sound...For that reason, I generally dont watch anything on my desktop. I'll just stream my files from my desktop to the TV.

Are any of the images on here stolen from this thread?

You guys have some wicked set ups! I'm seriously going to have to post one of mine as soon as I get finished moving. Also, that LED ambient lighting is awesome, as well.

I moved into a new apartment about a month ago and now I finally got my office set back up.

ZcCRF.jpg

uiKJi.jpg

piQno.jpg

QbqnP.jpg

My wife's iMac.

tlguJ.jpg

They sound horrendous

that's a great avatar, any chance you have a bigger picture ?
1 person likes this

that's a great avatar, any chance you have a bigger picture ?

Thanks... and here...

post-361542-0-80020100-1348061197_thumb.

3 people like this

IMG_0244.jpg

:woot: 2 monitors on 2 separate systems.

My new room:

DSCN3227_zpscb978763.jpg

The posters :D

DSCN3228_zps1053c9bc.jpg