Papa John's Employee Calls Woman 'Lady Chinky Eyes'

You'd be surprised how common this is in the food service industry. From actual restaurants to fast food places. This one, while bad, isn't quite as bad as some of the things I've seen. That guy is a total jerk for writing it in a place that the customer can see though.

Look, I'm not saying they were right for this, I just think firing the guy was a little over the top. The girl didn't even seem that upset, she just tweeted about it, it was others 'getting offended on her behalf' that caused any problems (which is another pet peeve of mine, people wanting to feel important so they go on some moral crusade about something that didn't even bother the 'victim' very much). If I were her and was offended enough, I'd just not order from there again. Maybe give the employee a scathing remark in return or something. But you just can't expect the world to always be exactly the way you want it to be, in your perfect little bubble. Living here requires a bit of a thick skin and the ability to not let little insignificant things get to you. It's not important in the big picture anyway, is it? Does one person, even if they are actually really racist, matter to your overall happiness? Are they important to you? It's not like he did anything to physically harm her or put her in danger, it was just a comment, and it was just an identifier on a receipt. Such a small thing to get worked up about.

I don't know, I always end up in these arguments, but people never change, I give up.

maybe she was just trying to warn others about the racist treatment at that fast food joint

Look, I'm not saying they were right for this, I just think firing the guy was a little over the top. The girl didn't even seem that upset, she just tweeted about it, it was others 'getting offended on her behalf' that caused any problems (which is another pet peeve of mine, people wanting to feel important so they go on some moral crusade about something that didn't even bother the 'victim' very much). If I were her and was offended enough, I'd just not order from there again. Maybe give the employee a scathing remark in return or something. But you just can't expect the world to always be exactly the way you want it to be, in your perfect little bubble. Living here requires a bit of a thick skin and the ability to not let little insignificant things get to you. It's not important in the big picture anyway, is it? Does one person, even if they are actually really racist, matter to your overall happiness? Are they important to you? It's not like he did anything to physically harm her or put her in danger, it was just a comment, and it was just an identifier on a receipt. Such a small thing to get worked up about.

I don't know, I always end up in these arguments, but people never change, I give up.

I don't see why it's good to tolerate racism or any prejudice/bigotry at all, even what some would call "trivial" or "not worth bothering about". That sort of thing exists precisely because people think it's "inevitable" and "nothing big" and so nothing changes.

maybe she was just trying to warn others about the racist treatment at that fast food joint

I think so too. She wasn't the one who went overboard, it was all the other people being offended for her. :rolleyes:

I don't see why it's good to tolerate racism or any prejudice/bigotry at all, even what some would call "trivial" or "not worth bothering about". That sort of thing exists precisely because people think it's "inevitable" and "nothing big" and so nothing changes.

I didn't say it was "good to tolerate it" just that we are never going to totally eliminate it, the world is never going to be perfect, and you are never going to be happy if you are constantly expecting it to be and trying to fix every tiny little issue. There are so many bigger, more widespread, more serious problems in the world than this. You can't let the little things get to you, or you'll never make it to the big ones.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but chink is an ethnic slur. This is not a 'simple description'. 'Asian lady' would suffice for a simple description. This is the equivalent of writing 'n*gger boy' on a black guy's receipt.

That must be why I hear so many black people call each other the N word. :laugh:

If individuals would just ignore the slurs, the slurs would lose all power to offend. Slurs would end.

I think so too. She wasn't the one who went overboard, it was all the other people being offended for her. :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was "good to tolerate it" just that we are never going to totally eliminate it, the world is never going to be perfect, and you are never going to be happy if you are constantly expecting it to be and trying to fix every tiny little issue. There are so many bigger, more widespread, more serious problems in the world than this. You can't let the little things get to you, or you'll never make it to the big ones.

You're right that there are bigger problems than rude words on a receipt from a fast food restaurant. But I can be quite happy not wanting to tolerate racism and bigotry, even if I know that this is a long struggle. I guess I hope one day it will end, but I don't know if it'll be in my lifetime. Still, I have got to try, and I'm happy to try.

That must be why I hear so many black people call each other the N word. :laugh:

If individuals would just ignore the slurs, the slurs would lose all power to offend. Slurs would end.

I don't think you understand things here, Hum. I don't think most people would even want to have to ignore slurs. Would you? What slurs would you accept? :/

I don't think you understand things here, Hum. I don't think most people would even want to have to ignore slurs. Would you? What slurs would you accept? :/

^ I've been called 'cracker' by blacks, as if that would make me feel bad.

Been called the N word by whites -- equally hilarious.

Insults are a lot like people who post that CAPS means you are yelling.

They really only mean what you think they do.

Words are just words.

Only YOU give them the power to hurt you. ;)

originally it was about context, the N word implied the superiority of white masters over black slaves, and so for a black person to call another black person by it, it loses its meaning, instead it is a word which is like 'compatriot' or 'friend' ... but nowadays there are black people who are genuinely offended when another black person calls them by the N word

^ I've been called 'cracker' by blacks, as if that would make me feel bad.

Been called the N word by whites -- equally hilarious.

Insults are a lot like people who post that CAPS means you are yelling.

They really only mean what you think they do.

Words are just words.

Only YOU give them the power to hurt you. ;)

Racist language has effects far beyond the person it is directed toward. It creates an atmosphere of harm that affects everyone.

You're right that there are bigger problems than rude words on a receipt from a fast food restaurant. But I can be quite happy not wanting to tolerate racism and bigotry, even if I know that this is a long struggle. I guess I hope one day it will end, but I don't know if it'll be in my lifetime. Still, I have got to try, and I'm happy to try.

It won't be in either of our lifetimes, or our children's, or their children's, or their children's. There will always be bigotry. Always. The fact that society, in general, doesn't approve of it, is as good as we're going to get.

• Like 2

Papa John's has apologized after an employee typed a racial slur on a receipt to a customer Friday at one of its locations in New York City.

Minhee Cho posted an image of the receipt on Twitter, which called her "lady chinky eyes."

"Hey @ PapaJohns just FYI my name isn't 'lady chinky eyes,'" Cho tweeted.

The image went viral, and many tweeted complaints to Papa John's, such as "Your employees are your brand."

Papa John's replied to many complaints via Twitter, noting that the employee was being fired.

"We are very upset by recent receipt issue in New York & sincerely apologize to our customer. Franchise employee involved is being terminated," Papa John's tweeted.

This isn't the first time a restaurant has come under fire over employees using racial or ethnic slurs on receipts.

Last month, a cashier at a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Irvine, Calif., was fired after allegedly mocking Asian-American customers, ABC News Los Angeles station KABC-TV reported.

The cashier reportedly used "Ching" and "Chong" in the customer identification line on the receipts.

Photos of those receipts have also gone viral online.

In a written statement, a representative for the fast-food chain told KABC that "the individual clearly violated our operating standards."

"The matter was addressed and discussed immediately with the guests on the spot; and a confirmation was provided that the employee was immediately dismissed for the individual behavior," the statement said.

source

:rofl:

This and many more receipt fails :

http://www.break.com...receipt-2285138

:rofl:

It won't be in either of our lifetimes, or our children's, or their children's, or their children's. There will always be bigotry. Always. The fact that society, in general, doesn't approve of it, is as good as we're going to get.

IIRC, I read an article about this one time, racism is kind of an evolutionary by-product. It is a natural inclination to be wary of people/creatures who look differently than yourself, as in the wild it is quite possible they are a threat. Or food :laugh: in any case, yeah, we're obviously far beyond that at this point, but just like people don't seem to be able to get past primitive behaviour in violence, sexuality, etc, sometimes these instincts come out. I don't think that's to blame in this particular case, but in general, apparently there is a reason racism exists in the first place. I need to do more research on the topic.

IIRC, I read an article about this one time, racism is kind of an evolutionary by-product. It is a natural inclination to be wary of people/creatures who look differently than yourself, as in the wild it is quite possible they are a threat. Or food :laugh: in any case, yeah, we're obviously far beyond that at this point, but just like people don't seem to be able to get past primitive behaviour in violence, sexuality, etc, sometimes these instincts come out. I don't think that's to blame in this particular case, but in general, apparently there is a reason racism exists in the first place. I need to do more research on the topic.

This is probably more because evolutionary psychologists are unscientific and racist, on the whole. They just take what they see today in Western society (suburban southern California is usually their model) and assume that it's got an evolutionary function and must be "good" or "adaptive". Just a hoard of fantasists who gave up on whatever religion they were born into and had to find another religion really, and who chose Darwin and science, but who ironically don't understand Darwin and don't understand science. But they write lots of neat stuff that people like Stephen Fry likes to quote as "fact" on stupid shows like QI.

This is probably more because evolutionary psychologists are unscientific and racist, on the whole. They just take what they see today in Western society (suburban southern California is usually their model) and assume that it's got an evolutionary function and must be "good" or "adaptive". Just a hoard of fantasists who gave up on whatever religion they were born into and had to find another religion really, and who chose Darwin and science, but who ironically don't understand Darwin and don't understand science. But they write lots of neat stuff that people like Stephen Fry likes to quote as "fact" on stupid shows like QI.

Hey, hey, hey, calm down. I didn't say it was 'fact' nor that any of it was accurate. Just that I had seen something along those lines before, and that I wanted to research the idea further, which I will do at some point. It kind of makes sense. Doesn't make it right, or necessary in today's society, but it does at least seem plausible.

Hey, hey, hey, calm down. I didn't say it was 'fact' nor that any of it was accurate. Just that I had seen something along those lines before, and that I wanted to research the idea further, which I will do at some point. It kind of makes sense. Doesn't make it right, or necessary in today's society, but it does at least seem plausible.

Ah, brilliant! Yeah, sorry about the rant, mate. For the record, most anything could be plausible, but only certain things can be (reasonably held to be, under certain circumstances) certain, more or less, given this or that, and qualified thus. :D