PHP 5.3.9

http://www.php.net/

The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 5.3.9. This release focuses on improving the stability of the PHP 5.3.x branch with over 90 bug fixes, some of which are security related.

Security Enhancements and Fixes in PHP 5.3.9:

• Added max_input_vars directive to prevent attacks based on hash collisions. (CVE-2011-4885)
  • Fixed bug #60150 (Integer overflow during the parsing of invalid exif header). (CVE-2011-4566)

Key enhancements in PHP 5.3.9 include:

• Fixed bug #55475 (is_a() triggers autoloader, new optional 3rd argument to is_a and is_subclass_of).
  • Fixed bug #55609 (mysqlnd cannot be built shared)
  • Many changes to the FPM SAPI module

For a full list of changes in PHP 5.3.9, see the ChangeLog. For source downloads please visit our downloads page, Windows binaries can be found on windows.php.net/download/.

All users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.3.9.

Note that PHP 5.4 will probably be out very soon. Already at RC5.

Have they bothered to compile a 64-bit Windows binary with this version? Perhaps they haven't noticed that you can't buy a 32-bit version of Windows Server any more, and a lot of people can't or don't want to run their IIS in 32-bit emulation mode.

Have they bothered to compile a 64-bit Windows binary with this version? Perhaps they haven't noticed that you can't buy a 32-bit version of Windows Server any more, and a lot of people can't or don't want to run their IIS in 32-bit emulation mode.

I don't have any experience w/ recent editions of Windows Server, but can't one use the 32-bit PHP w/ the 64-bit IIS? I mean, it's connected via FastCGI, so IIS basically runs the external php-cgi.exe binary and shouldn't care if it (php-cgi.exe) runs in WOW64 mode. Or am I mistaken and FastCGI is more that just IIS executing php-cgi.exe?

I don't have any experience w/ recent editions of Windows Server, but can't one use the 32-bit PHP w/ the 64-bit IIS? I mean, it's connected via FastCGI, so IIS basically runs the external php-cgi.exe binary and shouldn't care if it (php-cgi.exe) runs in WOW64 mode. Or am I mistaken and FastCGI is more that just IIS executing php-cgi.exe?

It should and it does. I'd want all my programs in 64-bit version, too, but rather it's an OCD issue. Maybe there are other gripes but performance-wise it has been designed so and proven as well that 32-bit programs suffer no performance hit at all when run on 64-bit machines.

There is a problem: a 64-bit PHP build would require recompiling also all the extensions one might want to use. Specifically, those not included with PHP or specially written for some task by oneself or somebody else. Compiling PHP is a mess to set up as it is.