What do you want from WP8?

Live Wallpapers (and wallpapers too) - The wallpaper is not created by me BTW!

ZuCh8.png

More customisation options (Tile colour and size, like Windows 8)

App folders

• Like 2

Native C++ support - just so game developers have more to work with.

Search and file picker contracts (as seen in Windows 8, and occasionally is WebOS).

DLNA support in the OS applications ! Waiting on OEM's to add it in it just isn't going to happen for most of us >.< (Though Nokia actually has their own DLNA driver in the Lumia 800 firmware - they still don't use it for anything)

Live Wallpapers (and wallpapers too)

ZuCh8.png

More customisation options (Tile colour and size, like Windows 8)

App folders

that looks sexy :yes:

You'll never get native code support.

Microsoft have been moving away from that for ages, and there is no way they will add it on their mobile platform.

+1 for DLNA.

I'd love to see improved voice recognition. Sometimes it's flawless and other times it just goes full retard and does stupid stuff :\

I'd also like to see the API for bluetooth exposed to developers.

EDIT:: @ Shane: http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/themes_for_windows_phone_first_release-12-12-11

- 360 degree orientation + orientation lock

- Integration with Windows Homegroups (even just partial integration to allow for sharing pictures, movies and music with your existing homegroup would be fine)

- A better Internet Explorer - it appears to be running on the current IE10-DP Trident Engine which is pretty sub-par, a fair few forums' CSS code breaks down using it. Not cool.

- Multi-core support - I know not a massive need, however, if we can have stuff that WP enjoys already such as super speedy UI, and great battery life, but using multicore processing which games can take advantage of, then how can I disapprove?

- Customisation - I don't need a ton of massive customisation (too much can lead to "not knowing what's best for you", something I experienced with Android), however, being able to add custom wallpapers and force-choosing the same colour on all tiles would be nice. Sometimes it's a little weird seeing green on every tile until all of a sudden I have a different shade of green on Spotify and XBL. Maybe this is actually a good thing, I dunno, but I'd love the option to find out for myself.

- Higher resolutions - I know this is coming even before Apollo, but it's something on my wishlist already. WP7 doesn't look "ugly" on bigger screens, it just looks jumbo size - perhaps a bit too big. A bigger resolution would fix this.

Apart from this, I think WP7 is fantastic the way it is already :)

"Contracts" like Win8

Better notification system/area

Closer integration with Win8/Xbox/Live/Skydrive

Support of OS wide gestures like Win8

more customization - custom tile colors

Visual Voice Mail - i'm looking at you, at&t

native PDF support

Remote for Zune

Support for other music stores, like Amazon's mp3 store

Multi monitor support with panels

Windowed metro applications

Native ISO mounting

Better notifications (customisable via API)

Better Native API rather than garbaged win32

A better solution to CMD like Bash. Powershell and CMD are crap. They don't even allow maximising of the entire screen (not full-screen).

Have all the languages like Russian, German, Arabic available by default on the ISO, rather than having to resort to hacks to get them, because English is only available. (Apple does this).

Drop 32bit support

Have a filesystem layout like *Nix.

Better updating system (be able to dismiss the notification to reboot and not be limited to 10 min, 1 hour, 4 hours) until I'm ready to reboot.

Ability to kill the desktop without having to reboot.

Stop installers from forcing me to reboot for stupid stuff. (Reverts to the last time)

Be able to expand videos across multiple monitors

Videos for wallpapers again

Offer a US International keyboard layout like on Linux with AltGr and not retarded deadkeys

Compose Key support like Linux

Disable the caps lock key (Useless key) or just force manufacturers to remove it altogether.

Be able to switch the language layout with the caps lock key

Stop forcing us to reboot for everything.

Allow us to install Microsoft products via install screen, rather than inside the OS.

Allow us to mount folders to specific folders like in *Nix

Allow us powerusers have better support via Consoles

Allow us to create our own themes without having to resort to hacking the uxtheme.dll

Allow us to change the RGB (with numeric values) for the Aero colour.

Background images for the Start menu

Custom tiles colours

Fix the authentication on mounting samba. Stop asking my to mount it everytime I reboot. It should be automatic. When I hit remember cred. REMEMBER IT PERMANTLEY.

Different wallpapers for different monitors.

Public API to Zune

Drop Notepad and Wordpad. Offer something like KDE's Kate.

Zune support for flac, ogg, etc. out of the box.

Explorer support for flac, ogg tags, rather than just mp3.

The ability to close apps from the multitasking screen with a gesture (similar to Win8/WebOS)

Open emails from lock screen similar to the way that text messages open.

Allow pasting in the dialer

Tracking protection lists in IE

By the way, rather than just posting here you can download the officiall Suggestion Box app from the Marketplace to add your own suggestions or vote on other people's.

Multi monitor support with panels

Windowed metro applications

Native ISO mounting

Better notifications (customisable via API)

Better Native API rather than garbaged win32

A better solution to CMD like Bash. Powershell and CMD are crap. They don't even allow maximising of the entire screen (not full-screen).

Have all the languages like Russian, German, Arabic available by default on the ISO, rather than having to resort to hacks to get them, because English is only available. (Apple does this).

Drop 32bit support

Have a filesystem layout like *Nix.

Better updating system (be able to dismiss the notification to reboot and not be limited to 10 min, 1 hour, 4 hours) until I'm ready to reboot.

Ability to kill the desktop without having to reboot.

Stop installers from forcing me to reboot for stupid stuff. (Reverts to the last time)

Be able to expand videos across multiple monitors

Videos for wallpapers again

Offer a US International keyboard layout like on Linux with AltGr and not retarded deadkeys

Compose Key support like Linux

Disable the caps lock key (Useless key) or just force manufacturers to remove it altogether.

Be able to switch the language layout with the caps lock key

Stop forcing us to reboot for everything.

Allow us to install Microsoft products via install screen, rather than inside the OS.

Allow us to mount folders to specific folders like in *Nix

Allow us powerusers have better support via Consoles

Allow us to create our own themes without having to resort to hacking the uxtheme.dll

Allow us to change the RGB (with numeric values) for the Aero colour.

Background images for the Start menu

Custom tiles colours

Fix the authentication on mounting samba. Stop asking my to mount it everytime I reboot. It should be automatic. When I hit remember cred. REMEMBER IT PERMANTLEY.

Different wallpapers for different monitors.

Public API to Zune

Drop Notepad and Wordpad. Offer something like KDE's Kate.

Zune support for flac, ogg, etc. out of the box.

Explorer support for flac, ogg tags, rather than just mp3.

This thread is about Windows Phone, not Windows 8 :laugh:

• Like 2

• Total integration with Win8/Xbox/Live/Skydrive
  • DNLA
  • 3D Satnav (Turn by turn) integrated into OS (Nokia Maps)
  • A requirement stipulated by MS that at least one handset per manufacturer must be accompanied by a (nexus one style) car dock - still my most missed thing in moving to WP7
  • Sky Go for WP8 (though its needed for WP7!)
  • Dual Core processors
  • 1 and 2GB Ram on offer
  • Up to 5 inch screen size
  • Higher screen res
  • Ability to use kinect on xbox to video call via WP8 handset
  • Wireless charging (like HP Touchpad & Touchstone
  • Different profile (volume, ringtone, vibrate etc) depending on gps location (auto adjust after user sets up) integrated into OS
  • Visual Voicemail on all handsets / networks
  • 360 degree screen rotation throughout os & apps
  • Tile colour / pattern customisation

• A requirement stipulated by MS that at least one handset per manufacturer must be accompanied by a (nexus one style) car dock - still my most missed thing in moving to WP7

That's a great suggestion and I'd extend it to say that Microsoft need to do more to develop a hardware ecosystem to complement their phones. Speaker docks would be a good start but my greatest bugbear is the lack of decent headphones with remote controls that are guaranteed to work on any phone. I don't know why this isn't standard on anything but an iPhone but it really irritates me.

For docks, Microsoft need to find a way to make the plethora of phone designs universally compatible with a microUSB-based dock. For starters, the microsUSB ports should have to be at the bottom of the phone - they can work the rest of the details out :)

Surely neither of these things can be that hard to achieve.

My thoughts

- Let the UI evolve

- - Remove the circles around the icons. I think this would make it cleaner

- - Custom backgrounds on the start screen (possibly allow it to be the "default" background in apps where the dev didn't specify a background)

- - Reduce the font size for hub titles or remove them entirely. I tapped on the people hub so I know I'm in the people hub.

- - Custom accent color sliders

- Hub improvements

- - We could have hubs app types (like how games aggregate in the games hub)

- - - Example:

- - - - All health apps would have a Health app that aggregates like apps into a list

- - - - and you could swipe left inside the hub to show widgets like a weight progress chart

- - Have a built in interface to make your own

- Tile improvements

- - Tile groups (four or nine tiles can share a tile spot) I might not use it much but others might

- - Option for double wide tiles (would be useful for twitter apps)

- A notification system (swipe right on the start screen) like Android and iOS

- Better ringtone creation

- Browser improvements

- - Gestures for back (flick right), forward (flick left), tabs (?)

- - Update the browser engine to IE10

- Lock Screen

- - Misc counter on the lock screen that sums all of the counters of the pinned tiles.

- Hardware Specs

- - Either allow a memory expansion slot like the original Focus or put pressure on OEMs to increase on board memory (64 GB)

- - Provide support for higher resolution screens.

- - Be more proactive about adding support for faster and multiple core processors.

- Managing my phone online

- - Expand the "My Phone" page. I'd love for it to have all the features that KIN Studio did.

- TellMe

- - Continually improve it like the concept ad

- Office Improvements

- - Tasks

- - Formula support (OneNote and Word)

- - There has to be a better implementation for worksheets in Excel and pages in OneNote

- - Allow syncing of documents. SkyDrive is better but a lot of workplaces block it.

- - Direct syncing with Outlook just so people stop complaining about it

- Zune Software

- - Automatically make selective and full phone backups.

- - Automatically track app purchases and downloads.

- - Possibly a UI refresh? (Just for funsies) Definitely more background options.

- - - Merge WMP and Zune?

- - Maybe a way to play games with others through the software

- - More music channels (user submittable)

- GPS Improvements

- - Auto advance and update directions like a normal GPS

- - Automatically adjust to nightime driving (the beige/white should turn to dark blue, it kind be blinding at night)

- Universal Search

- - We press once to launch Bing. Long press the search button to search the phone. Contacts, email, apps, etc

• Landscape support across the whole OS
  • Seperate volume bars for essentials (ringing, alarms) and non essential (music, apps and games) apps. I am sick of turning down my music causing me to not hear my alarm in the morning.
  • Massive improvements on text to speech, and on speech to text
  • Better turn by turn navigation built in
  • The UI itself is slick and smooth, but for some reason, any app that needs to update with information from the internet is SO SLOW. Things like tapatalk or twitter routinely take 15-20 seconds to update, over WiFi OR 3g.
  • Better ways to organise our apps, the single long list doesn't really cut it.
  • A Teamviewer app (probably the only app that i really miss from the other 2 platforms)
  • Proper multiplayer support for games
  • Improved browser (always)
  • More tile colour options
  • A way to have a 'to-do' list appear on your lock screen.
  • A better method of creating and managing ringtones.
  • Consolidate Xbox hub and Xbox live extras into the Xbox hub, no need to have a seperate app for it.
  • Visual Voicemail pushed out to all networks (damn you Telstra)
  • A better hardware ecosystem (as mentioned above)
  • Bring the hardware search button to back what it was pre-mango. It used to be context sensitive, now it just brings up bing no matter what.
  • 3rd gen devices should be 4G

• Better ways to organise our apps, the single long list doesn't really cut it.

I can see a couple solutions for this.

1. Universal search of the phone by long pressing the hardware search button

2. User creatable hubs to group like or favorite apps/contacts

3. More hubs based on the categories of the apps. So all apps listed under tools + productivity would be aggregated under that hub just like games.

4. Tile groups. You could combine 4-9 apps into a single tile, or twice that on a double tile.

Custom colors for tiles

Live and still wallpapers.

Higher resolution

DLNA

Screenshot support

Offic Sync

PDF support

180 or maybe 360 degree orientation

Tight integration with Windows 8

Ability to customize font size

Tile folders???

(like for example, you have three games and dont want three different tiles, so you group them into a single one, tap it, and three pop-ups appear and you select your game)

Better TellMe

To-Do list on lock screen would be nice

I can see a couple solutions for this.

1. Universal search of the phone by long pressing the hardware search button

2. User creatable hubs to group like or favorite apps/contacts

3. More hubs based on the categories of the apps. So all apps listed under tools + productivity would be aggregated under that hub just like games.

4. Tile groups. You could combine 4-9 apps into a single tile, or twice that on a double tile.

I see 1 way to fix this.

At the moment from the start screen, we swipe right to get to apps list. That is already alphabetically sorted. With enough apps, you get the option to press a letter to and then you can get to that app much quicker.

The fix for getter management. Groups. This could be easy to add with the addition of an extra page swipe to the the right. Giving the 'Group' options. From the apps list, you can press and hold an app to pin to the start, adding another option to add to group would let you place it on the Groups page. Groups names could then be pinned to the home screen.