Worth upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus?

At the moment I have a HTC Desire running the Miui Rom, which i got back in June 2010. I have been thinking of upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus.

Is now a wise time to be upgrading? I hear a lot of new phones are going to be announced in February?

Main reason's for wanting the Galaxy Nexus are:

• The screen looks amazing
  • Android 4, with updates directly from Google.
  • Looks a nice upgrade to my Desire in terms of storage, processing power, ram, screen, os, hd video recording.
  • No more using App2sd or Data2ext scripts to install all the apps i want.
  • Has a notification LED (i guess a lot of phones do, the Nexus S didn't tho)
  • CM9 / Miui support in the future
  • Looks to be the best phone out at the moment
  • Battery life looks to be better than the Desire despite what reviews say. (5+ hours playing video, my Desire would be dead in 3-4 at the most, if that.)

My main concerns are:

• Reviews say the graphics chipset is getting on a bit - however to be honest i dont really game that much on the go, and games like GTA 3 appear to run fantastic on it anyway...
  • Reviews slam the camera, however again the HD video recording looks pretty impressive for a mobile, and the camera appears better then my Desire which has never been that bad.
  • Much better phones will be out in a few months (quad core / tegra maybe?)

Okay, I'm not much into the Android world, but I guess it's a good time to get the Nexus.

Of cause you could wait for better releases, but then again, as you say, it might not be directly from Google or some of the advantages you obviously want might miss.

The Nexus - from the Android point of view - looks like an EXCELLENT phone and if it weren't for iOS for me, I'd definitely get my hands on that pile of glory! (Y)

Glassed Silver:mac

I too have a HTC Desire running MIUI and I've given the Galaxy Nexus some thought. I'm holding off on any phone purchases because I can't justify the relatively high cost of keeping up with the latest when custom roms breathe new life into my phone. If money is no object and you're really looking to get rid of the Desire, the Galaxy Nexus is the device to have.

Wait just a month, I would suggest.

Mobile World Conference, MWC, is around the corner, so there might be some good phones.

However, from Android, Nexus would be the obvious choice.

Have you looked into that awesome looking Xperia S?

It's the best Android phone, period. I've talked my father into upgrading to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus at the end of the month when he's eligible to upgrade. I'm packing the T-Mobile Galaxy S II so I won't be too jealous but definitely some; that Nexus is OOB with ICS.

Wait just a month, I would suggest.

Bah! That's a month lost where he could have had the sweetest 'droid phone on the planet :D

"No more using App2sd or Data2ext scripts to install all the apps i want."

Even if you wanted to use those apps you can't. Galaxy Nexus doesn't have sd card,

that is if 16/32 GB storage are enough for your needs.

ive played w/ my coworker's Nexus. it'd be an impressive upgrade if you have an older phone. i have an HTC Rezound, so the Nexus didnt blow me away. The screen was very nice, but i think the Rezound's is still better. The luster of ICS wears off quickly. i didnt think the Nexus' body felt very well-built - felt plasticy.

Been thinking about this some more today and the Galaxy Nexus appears to make more sense to me.

If i wait for the MWC that will be another month before that happens, then the phones announced there will not likley not be released for another couple of months i imagine. (plus will likely be more than the Galaxy Nexus is now)

Even when they are released the phone will need rooting and some nice stock roms to be released, i dont really rate touchwiz, motoblur & other manufacturer interfaces. Sense is ok but i would sooner have stock Android 4 or Miui.

So really with that in mind i'm probably looking at at least half a year before there would be a better device than the Galaxy Nexus, that i would want to use.

If i got the Galaxy Nexus now i would expect there to be better phones in 6 months time anyway.

If i did upgrade now i would want a modern high end device, it doesn't necessarily need to be the most powerful in everything when i look at how i use my phone, just be a good spec that will last me the next 2 years. Thanks my thinking at the moment anyway.

"No more using App2sd or Data2ext scripts to install all the apps i want."

Even if you wanted to use those apps you can't. Galaxy Nexus doesn't have sd card,

that is if 16/32 GB storage are enough for your needs.

By that i mean the Desire only has 147mb of space to install user apps, the whole 16gb on the Galaxy Nexus could be used for installing apps. Space for apps would never be an issue, not filled my 8gb SDHC card atm so 16gb would be fine for me i imagine, even if i did install a couple of large games.

Have you looked into that awesome looking Xperia S?

The specs are very impressive i must admit,however raw specs aside im not that keen on the physical design of the phone, or what Sony does to Android, although eventually the phone would have stock Android 4 with a custom rom.

You don't have to confuse yourself.

My suggestion, just go out and buy the Nexus.

I kid you not. MWC will probably have dozens of phones, none of which will be better than Nexus in terms of overall performance. Yes, it is said that Samsung is unveiling GS III with 1.8 GHz Dual-Core processor, but you don't have to wait for it. Just go with Nexus and you'll be fine for the next 2 years. That would be the right time to jump ship higher.

Get an international Galaxy S II

Itll ahve the latest android released some timet his Quarter. Rom development is just as good as the nexus.

Its just a better phone overall, SD card slot, better camera, better reinforced glass, amoled+

Nexus' only advantage is the higher resolution, and its pentile, which SUCKS...the nexus is intended to be a flagship device, to get 4.0 rollin.

That being said, any dual core phone should last you a good while.

I'd wait on the Galaxy Nexus if I were you. There is just way too many screen issues. The banding is ridiculous, and since it has OLED, you will have issues on certain screen with lines etc. all over screen.

If you do happen to get it, make sure you do not use the Google Music app. Too many issues with it sadly. :( The browser also has issues scrolling with lag, and renders some pages very odd / laggy for whatever reason.

It's a good phone, but the screen issues were a huge issue for me, and I decided to just stick with the iPhone for now. Will look at next year's model and hope Samsung isn't making it..

I'd wait on the Galaxy Nexus if I were you. There is just way too many screen issues. The banding is ridiculous, and since it has OLED, you will have issues on certain screen with lines etc. all over screen.

If you do happen to get it, make sure you do not use the Google Music app. Too many issues with it sadly. :( The browser also has issues scrolling with lag, and renders some pages very odd / laggy for whatever reason.

It's a good phone, but the screen issues were a huge issue for me, and I decided to just stick with the iPhone for now. Will look at next year's model and hope Samsung isn't making it..

Maybe it was just your phone....I have none of those problems.

Decided to go for the Galaxy Nexus in the end, ordered it from Amazon.de as its significantly cheaper than anywhere in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Galaxy Nexus for 2 months now and it's been great, there's only 2 issues that i have experienced so far, the first one is a very nasty bug that mutes your calls during conversations at random times, only way to fix is hang up and call back.

second one is battery life if I'm using LTE, its freaking ridiculous, other than that i'm very happy with the phone, once they fix at least that one bug muting calls, and i'll be the perfect phone for me.

I've been using a Galaxy Nexus for 2 months now and it's been great, there's only 2 issues that i have experienced so far, the first one is a very nasty bug that mutes your calls during conversations at random times, only way to fix is hang up and call back.

second one is battery life if I'm using LTE, its freaking ridiculous, other than that i'm very happy with the phone, once they fix at least that one bug muting calls, and i'll be the perfect phone for me.

Never had the issue with the muting calls. LTE batter life while on 4g is a problem with all the LTE phones. 4g sucks the battery life.

ICS 4.0.5 seems to have fixed numerous bugs which got leaked last week.

SO i hope that will fix your call issue. also, i heard it also improves the battery a bit.

@OP: Def go for Galaxy Nexus +1

I've had the Nexus as well for about a month and I love it! My only gripe is battery life, but I heard that the latest firmware fixes that. Plus, I may get the extended battery. Right now (using a custom ROM), I'm getting about 12-15 hours on normal use. Not that bad. I just keep a charger at work and plug it in for an hour before I head out.

ICS 4.0.5 seems to have fixed numerous bugs which got leaked last week.

SO i hope that will fix your call issue. also, i heard it also improves the battery a bit.

@OP: Def go for Galaxy Nexus +1

4.0.4 was leaked last week. 4.0.5 was just listed as the next possible update. 4.0.4 works really well and I love the speed increase and it does seem to have a little better battery life.

You don't have to confuse yourself.

My suggestion, just go out and buy the Nexus.

I kid you not. MWC will probably have dozens of phones, none of which will be better than Nexus in terms of overall performance. Yes, it is said that Samsung is unveiling GS III with 1.8 GHz Dual-Core processor, but you don't have to wait for it. Just go with Nexus and you'll be fine for the next 2 years. That would be the right time to jump ship higher.

There are mixed rumours regarding the Galaxy S3, with the more impressive ones stating that it will have a 2GHz quad core processor.. so yeah, that will wipe the floor with the Nexus if true.

Given that every other Galaxy phone has been a powerhouse and miles ahead of the competition at the time of release, I would say the quad core is likely.

Also, Samsung has announced it's not announcing the Galaxy S3 until later in the year.