Dropbox - Experimental Forum Build 1.3.12 - FREE SPACE!

Took my work supplied iPad, just let the Camera record about 2-3 GB worth of video over the past hour (literally just put it on record and let it sit there a few times), and am currently uploading all the photos and videos from it. :shiftyninja:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try this out as soon as I can find my sister's camera. I'll have to let it upload overnight because my upload speed is very low (64 KB/s).

Took my work supplied iPad, just let the Camera record about 2-3 GB worth of video over the past hour (literally just put it on record and let it sit there a few times), and am currently uploading all the photos and videos from it. :shiftyninja:

My phone is doing that as we speak... :shifty:

So im still confused, is this 5gb just from this beta test, Plus the 3gb i already had to equal 8gb free space, or is it capped at 5gb period?

You can earn 5 GB ON TOP of what you already have. So if you had 3, then yes, you would have 8 GB.

So im still confused, is this 5gb just from this beta test, Plus the 3gb i already had to equal 8gb free space, or is it capped at 5gb period?

4.5gbs just from the beta.. so.. 7.5gbs total for you.

Man 21.4 for FREE nice -- so guessing you have a .edu address to get that bonus.. Otherwise I don't see how you got so high for free?

You can get 8GB for referrals, like 768MB for facebook/twitter, 1GB for dropquest last year, 5GB for this, plus your orig 2GB and then like the 250 for getting started thing. Where did you get the extra space.. You must have a .edu address -- they give a nice free bonus for that! Like double your referrals I do believe for possible 8 more GB.

I have a couple GB left in referrals I could get. And I think I can get another 500MB by sending some more pics.. Im currently at 14.4

Your referral link might sneak by, but I do believe there was some stink about those a while back. Don't be surprised if a mod removes that, I don't think you would get much traction from it this this type of thread anyway.. Since more than likely people reading this already have a dropbox account.

Not really cheating, which there are ways of doing btw for referrals. But I install dropbox on pretty much any machine I work on, for example friend infected their box and needs me to clean it. I install dropbox on their machine - even if I have to create a nonsense yahoo type account to do it with ;) They can always delete if they don't want it - but it gets you 250MB for helping them out.

edit:

"Does it need to be in any specific folder or do you just import the files from the flip to dropbox?"

You have to use the IMPORT feature to get the free space, ie you have to let autoplay and use the import to dropbox function that will be available in your autoplay menu to get it to work. This will create the folder for you and copy files from your device to it and sync.. Once files have actually sync'd to drop - ie you get the green checkmark, every 500MB that gets sent up you get 500MB free space. You can then delete the files and keep the free space.

They want people to test their import feature - I do believe it will even rename files in case of dupe names, etc.

edit: Yup look at that - your referral link got snipped "Edited by Anaron, Today, 15:12."

But they really should make that more clear in the rules -- I just reread them while I was posting that it might get removed, and nothing really jumped out at me that you could not do such a thing.. You might want to mention to the mods if they email you about the edit that they make that clearer in the rules/guidelines. I just remember there was an issue with them awhile back. If reading the rules I wouldn't see what is wrong with posting them.

EDIT: Referral links are not allowed.

1znobvn.jpg :) Not there yet, only had 1.5GB credited :shifty:

How were you able to get over 20 GB of storage space? All I have right now is 2.25 GB and I don't remember how I got the extra 0.25 GB. It must have been a referral thing.

You can get 8GB for referrals, like 768MB for facebook/twitter, 1GB for dropquest last year, 5GB for this, plus your orig 2GB and then like the 250 for getting started thing. Where did you get the extra space.. You must have a .edu address -- they give a nice free bonus for that! Like double your referrals I do believe for possible 8 more GB

No, not an edu but I sent them an e-mail with my school mailaddress and they approved me as a student ;)

So that 16GGB (referrals) + 759MB (fb, twitter) + 1GB (dropquest) + 2GB (original) + 500MB (signed up with ref link) + 250MB (getting started) = around 22GB or something, but remember I'm still uploading so I need another 2.5GB added :D

Currently:

ercrd5.jpg edit: 33e0oi1.jpg

Nice -- yeah that student thing is a nice bonus.. Trying to find a .edu address I could use ;) heheh

Your referral link might sneak by, but I do believe there was some stink about those a while back. Don't be surprised if a mod removes that, I don't think you would get much traction from it this this type of thread anyway.. Since more than likely people reading this already have a dropbox account. Not really cheating, which there are ways of doing btw for referrals. But I install dropbox on pretty much any machine I work on, for example friend infected their box and needs me to clean it. I install dropbox on their machine - even if I have to create a nonsense yahoo type account to do it with ;) They can always delete if they don't want it - but it gets you 250MB for helping them out. edit: "Does it need to be in any specific folder or do you just import the files from the flip to dropbox?" You have to use the IMPORT feature to get the free space, ie you have to let autoplay and use the import to dropbox function that will be available in your autoplay menu to get it to work. This will create the folder for you and copy files from your device to it and sync.. Once files have actually sync'd to drop - ie you get the green checkmark, every 500MB that gets sent up you get 500MB free space. You can then delete the files and keep the free space. They want people to test their import feature - I do believe it will even rename files in case of dupe names, etc.
EDIT: Referral links are not allowed. How were you able to get over 20 GB of storage space? All I have right now is 2.25 GB and I don't remember how I got the extra 0.25 GB. It must have been a referral thing.

Ahh, ok, sorry. I didn't know referral links weren't allowed. At least I didn't try to sneak it in, haha. :laugh: I'll just have to set up an account with a few other email addresses. Didn't figure I'd really get any hits out of here anyway. Everyone here probably has an account already.

Nice -- yeah that student thing is a nice bonus.. Trying to find a .edu address I could use ;) heheh

It's not that hard as you think ;)

Btw, if someone wants to know how I could max out my referrals: (I'm not joking) you pay someone from India 0.10$ to signup and install dropbox and that's it in fact :) That's how I maxed out several dropboxes, from family and friends to multiple for myself :p

I didn't know about the double credit thing for students . I just verified my university email address. Also, does anyone know if you can upload the same files again and again (after deleting them, of course)?

I didn't know about the double credit thing for students . I just verified my university email address. Also, does anyone know if you can upload the same files again and again (after deleting them, of course)?

Tried it, but it said 'no new files found' so no I think you need to rename them or find new files ;)

Hmmm, with the way dropbox storage works. And having the details of file, and the ability to restore it if deleted it, etc.. I would think they would have a system in place to say hey that files has already been uploaded, no need to actually upload it again..

And I do believe the import feature is suppose to not reimport files, etc. if you notice it put a .file on your storage camera/sd that I have to assume its using to know what are new files or old files and have already been imported, etc.

Guess you could try it.. but its pretty easy to generate 500MB of pics -- just take some crap of the wall at highest resolution ;)

Tried it, but it said 'no new files found' so no I think you need to rename them or find new files ;)

Thanks for letting me know. I have a ton of pictures from my old DSLR cameras so it's just a matter of transferring them to my SD card.

Thanks for the heads up! Trying it now.

In the meantime, will pen a piece for the front page :)

Strange but it didnt work for me :(

Does this constitute as autorun? Because thats whats pop up once i connect my cam.

So after clicking Import pictures and videos it says no photos?

looks like its going to use import there with that dropbox logo.. So yeah that should work -- just your cameras popup.

Yeah I just tested it with my camera that does the same thing

post-14624-0-72404000-1328330547.png

Once you click the import it kicks off the dropbox importer which is what you need to run to get the extra space.