New Build

OK - thanks gentlemen - I never stopped to think there were 2 new architectures out (or coming out)

I guess s2011 is for enthusiasts & Ivy Bridge will be in all new pre-built computers ? or something similar to that effect

They way I look at it is Current Sandy Bridge is being replaced by Ivy Bridge (1155) as the mainstream processors.

Sandy-E (2011) will likely be replaced by Ivy-E as the enthusiast processor.

It is interesting to follow, but I'm pretty sure my little i5 will last me quite a long time!

Its partially unnlocked, which means that there will be some room for overclocking

youre right - Techspot hit 4.6GHz on their model

http://www.techspot.com/review/492-intel-core-i7-3820/page9.html

imo, the 3820 looks like a great chip. save up a bit more money and buy quality parts. stop supporting/purchasing products from Asrock and Rosewill. Buy a proper Asus board and some Corsair memory.

youre right - Techspot hit 4.6GHz on their model

http://www.techspot....3820/page9.html

imo, the 3820 looks like a great chip. save up a bit more money and buy quality parts. stop supporting/purchasing products from Asrock and Rosewill. Buy a proper Asus board and some Corsair memory.

Wow, generalize much?

ASRock have improved leaps and bounds over the past couple of years and are among the top rated on Newegg now. I posted earlier that I have an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. In all my years of building PCs, I am serious when I say this is my favourite motherboard I've had to date. It is rock solid and the EFI is fantastic (much better than Asus' in my opinion).

I won't even start on why recommending a general brand of RAM is completely nonsensical.

To be honest, that's the dirtiest build I've ever seen. If you're gonna spend a fortune on the 2011 socket, at least buy decent components.

I'm not sure what you mean. I've revised my buying list:

• Dynatron R17
  • MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
  • Core i7 3820
  • AMD Entertainment Edition 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600
  • Rosewill CHALLENGER

Those are all decent quality parts. The only deficiency is the video card I'm bringing over which will eventually be upgraded.

Processor is way over kill IMO.

It's just odd to have a enthusiast processor with only 4gb ram.

As others have said, a 2500k would be even overkill for what your doing. But it sounds like you have made up your mind. Good luck with the build. :)

What am I not seeing with the Rosewill case? You're not the first person to point it out. It has the two features I'm looking for: hard drive mounts and screwless installations.

Correction. I made a edit. That case actuality has great reviews. Sorry about that. :)

OK, thanks. I just got a little worried because someone else mentioned it. I'm actually looking forward to using the new screwless cases, saw one in a video and was amazed how much case technology has advanced since my last build. :laugh:

I've been happy with the rosewill brand. I've used their cases; they aren't bad. I've also used their PSU, swicthes, USB readers lol. I havn't ad any problems.

I'm not sure what you mean. I've revised my buying list:

• Dynatron R17
  • MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
  • Core i7 3820
  • AMD Entertainment Edition 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600
  • Rosewill CHALLENGER

Those are all decent quality parts. The only deficiency is the video card I'm bringing over which will eventually be upgraded.

MSI, quality? lol!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished constructing my new computer. The damages after all was said and done:

1 x ($319.99) Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

$319.99

1 x ($259.99) MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

$259.99

1 x ($54.99) Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

$54.99

1 x ($32.99) Dynatron R17 92mm 2 Ball Intel Sandy Bridge Romley-EP/EX Processors up to TDP 160 Watts Overclocking

$32.99

1 x ($19.99) AMD Entertainment Edition 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AE34G1609U2

$19.99

1 x ($-20.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #835946

$-20.00

Subtotal:

$667.95

About the build: Took a surprising amount of pressure to close the two leavers for the CPU, I was a bit worried. Back faceplate was a pain to put in because there was a fan blocking view of it. The SATA cables that came with the motherboard posed a bit of a problem: one end of the the cable is bent (the connector is in an L shape). It can't be used on the motherboard end because it's too close to the case, the problem came when attaching my SSD, which is housed in a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter which can hold 2 2.5" drives. Because it was on the lower slot and the adapter stuck out beyond the end of the drive, I couldn't attach the SATA cable. I ended up moving it to the upper slot in the adapter.

Running fine right now, CPU sits at 31C in BIOS.

runningv.jpg

Cheers!

I know what you mean about the CPU. The latch on my board required an unusual amount of pressure to secure it into place. I thought I was going to break it!

Anyways glad it worked out!