Any model train set peeps?

Ok so ive recently decided to get into model trainsets and today i took the plunge and brought my first set, an extra engine and a passenger carriage

Im wondering if anyone else on the forums has the same interest? im looking for advice, pointers and places where I can get good prices on things (UK)

heres a few pics of what ive got so far (the track is a work in progress and when its done its going to be great)

post-97030-0-39888100-1328747861_thumb.j

post-97030-0-98249600-1328747874_thumb.j

post-97030-0-17005400-1328747888_thumb.j

post-97030-0-37397900-1328747907_thumb.j

I have an old bachman HO scale set... somewhere, I actually want to dig it out cause I wanna set it up in my office.

You should look at popping to Rugby. They have a model train set in one of the old offices upstairs.

Mine sadly isn't set up but it will be in the loft when I move houses :)

This is a fantastic hobby, only problem is that it can become very expensive!

Rod Stewart is one of the most famous model enthusiasts. His own creation is that of the iconic Grand Central Station set in the 1940s. The detail is fantastic.

post-23703-0-90732900-1328785068.jpg

Well ive had a few more replies than i thought haha

I spent another wad of cash today on more track and some buildings, i'll post a pic of the final layout when ive got it all nailed down on my plyboard base :)

@farstrider now thats a setup :)

I model in N Scale right now and plan on staying there. HO seems to be too big for the space I need but the details are still there and more space for what I want to do. And yes, the model train hobby can be VERY expensive. When I got back into it after 20 year absence, a fellow modeller told me the cost on average, about $100sq/foot... but the more elaborate, the more expensive. If you need anything, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

I model in N Scale right now and plan on staying there. HO seems to be too big for the space I need but the details are still there and more space for what I want to do. And yes, the model train hobby can be VERY expensive. When I got back into it after 20 year absence, a fellow modeller told me the cost on average, about $100sq/foot... but the more elaborate, the more expensive. If you need anything, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

$100 per sq ft seems average, when you think about this it drives you nuts... the average houe costs only $128 a sq ft to build! now you have a train set that cost almost as much as a house to build *lol*

$100 per sq ft seems average, when you think about this it drives you nuts... the average houe costs only $128 a sq ft to build! now you have a train set that cost almost as much as a house to build *lol*

I know what you mean. I dumped 3K into my layout already (its about 5.5 feet by 4 feet) and I'm barely there. UGH.

I know what you mean. I dumped 3K into my layout already (its about 5.5 feet by 4 feet) and I'm barely there. UGH.

I hope you are making a modular layout, i've seen people build these huge layouts then move and can't move the thing because they forgot to make it modular so it can be transported :laugh:

Out of interest... does the model Pendolino tilt as it corners?

Yea it does, heres a little video showing it tilting round the corners

I hope you are making a modular layout, i've seen people build these huge layouts then move and can't move the thing because they forgot to make it modular so it can be transported :laugh:

Already ahead of you :) im getting some plyboard soon and the tracks being nailed to that so i can move it if need be :)

This is a pic of the setup as it stands at the moment from the new stuff i brought today :)

post-97030-0-67786500-1328826607_thumb.j

Mines small enough (n scale...) that I can get it out the door with ease. I'm also in the next year or so re work my bench so I can get to the wiring much easier :)

One thing I recommend to ANY builder is that if you aren't going to use foam for your layout, like I do, get corkboard for your rails. It will deaden the sound a ton from the train riding the rails. It makes a huge difference.

here is mine as of last november, but I have done a ton more to it since then.

2011-11-30_14-57-15_993.jpg

I'm running 3 constant lines: freight (CNW), Commuter (Metra) and Passenger (Amtrak, California Zephyr). I'm tempted to go DCC on my layout, but it cost so damn much money. UGH.

and here's a shaky cam from last november as well taken from my cell phone:

how did you get the trains running at the same time in diff directions?

simple... different controllers :) I have 3 different power packs running each track. You'll see them kinda on the right in the video. One brown (old bachmann power pack) and one MRC power pack with 2 controllers built on board. I've since replaced the brown controller with another MRC powerpack since I was having power issues. Now if I go DCC, then I'll change it to one and run them all on one controller. But that's *another* story. And expensive.

Talking about powerpacks im looking at making my signals powered, but the power controller which came with the set doesnt offer this feature so im going to have to buy another one, which one is good or are they all around the same standard?

how did you get the trains running at the same time in diff directions?

its easier then you might thing, you dont need different power packs or different track lines... if you want to do it the "correct" way, you have one large interconnected track that runs on a set voltage all the time, then each engine has a DCC chip (digital command controller) which has a unique ID for each engine, then you have a master controller that sends the commands through the tracks, speed, reverse, sounds, lights... DCC engines cost more but you can control everything about the engine on high end engines... like flash lights in patters, if it has a sound generator, you can say blow horn, make bell noise, make engine noise, rev engine with speed, etc you could run 100 trains on a single layout using DCC if you wanted to

Looking good man. I've hung on to my stuff from when i was a kid right through to now.

I've still got an original 80's Intercity 125, unfortunately i haven't seen the stuff in years as i currently don't have the space, time or money.

As soon as i do though, i'll be dusting it off and adding to it :)

• 2 weeks later...

While not technically model trains, we have a huge collection of Thomas & Friends Trackmaster engines (and track, buildings, etc.) that I bought for my sons. I actually built an 8 foot by 4 foot table for them to set them up on, so we can set up some very large and complicated layouts. I'm not really sure what scale these are closest to though.

after a month of not doing much ive almost nailed the final track design now :) just need to extend the platforms but then its all done and i can paint and varnish it before ;laying down the gravel

post-97030-0-78604900-1330481659_thumb.j

post-97030-0-94534200-1330481735_thumb.j

post-97030-0-60473100-1330481768_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

This is a fantastic hobby, only problem is that it can become very expensive!

Rod Stewart is one of the most famous model enthusiasts. His own creation is that of the iconic Grand Central Station set in the 1940s. The detail is fantastic.

Before my grandpa died back in the 90s he had something like that. The whole attic was one huge train set, little detailed buildings,mountains,cars,rail yard working signals. It was awesome. Not my sorta thing but it was just an awesome sight to see.

• 1 month later...

does thomas and friends count? lol XD

i'm not a train collector but i find those collectors awesome!

I would :) I've seen those at regular train swap meets/sales every year. So yes, it counts :)

• 1 month later...

Out of curiousity, how old are you guys? I had a collection (pics on my other computer, will follow later) but I never saw anyone near my age at a swap meet, or hobby store....

I'm 24 FYI.