Multiple notifications for a thread in my notification bar

Heya guys,

okay, first off, I read some time ago that mutliple entries per thread (as long as they appear as new) get consolidated.

That means, if user A and B reply to a thread called "humpy dumby" I get one notification.

I don't know how this was ever intended to appear, whether a consolidated "A and B replied to Humpy Dumby" or just the latest change, but it was announced.

Hence me filing this as a bug.

As I do doubt a little that this feature is even implemented yet, I also added the "request" tag.

This is how it looks like atm:

post-58560-0-19534700-1328917268.png

Quite fugly.

I request/file for broken functionality of consolidated notifications on a per thread basis.

BONUS: Indicator for how many notifications there are (similar to the mobile site)!

Thank you

Glassed Silver:mac

PS: Yes, the picture depicts only read ones, but trust me, it's the same with new notifications! HELL!

Yes, I think that broke with the recent update to 3.2.3 (from 3.2.2) I'll ask Redmak to look into it again.

This is the hell of having a customized forum that does what we want, after upgrades, the customizations usually go missing :p

Yes, I think that broke with the recent update to 3.2.3 (from 3.2.2) I'll ask Redmak to look into it again.

This is the hell of having a customized forum that does what we want, after upgrades, the customizations usually go missing :p

Yeah I know...

Costumization and integrity often go two different ways.

One of them the way of the dodo...

Glassed Silver:ios

• 3 months later...

#el bumpo

Any updates on this?

I just got a little buddy showing me ridiculous 83 notification for literally a handful of topics and it's getting a major annoyance for using the forums.

• 5 weeks later...

#bump

Oh Jesus :laugh:

post-58560-0-06450100-1341928323.png

post-58560-0-06450100-1341928323.png

Christ, man! 1999 notifications?!

I think it's rare that I end up with 5 notifications after being away for a while. Although with that said, I am online pretty much every day, so I always see when the latest notification has come in.

Christ, man! 1999 notifications?! I think it's rare that I end up with 5 notifications after being away for a while. Although with that said, I am online pretty much every day, so I always see when the latest notification has come in.

Been "collecting" this now for a mere month or so for purpose of demonstration.

I have quote and like notifications, granted, but it's ridiculous how far this problem stretches...

Is my case an extreme one? Probably!

Is Neowin a geek forum and hence has some people on it with extreme usage patterns? Betcha!

Is Neowin catering with a fix towards this issue that renders a crucial feature of the board useless for power users like me? Yes.

Did this slow me down on forum activity? Yes, because I cannot be a***ed to check dozens of threads on new replies myself. :laugh:

If we want to see forum activity rise again, maybe contributing and "spying" on the board should be easier again.

Another suggestion:

How about we sectionize the notifications site?

Something along those lines:

Tabs: "Replies to your threads" (including quotes of your contributions in your threads) - "Quotes for your replies" (in threads not created by you) - "Likes received" - "Other" (Someone added you as friend etc...)

edit: / addition:

2039 now by the way... Doesn't need further commentary... >_>

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems implemented now, no?

Hell yeah!

Finally, makes notifications useful and not ridiculous again!!! ^^ :)

*cheers*

• 2 months later...

Seems implemented now, no?

Hell yeah!

Finally, makes notifications useful and not ridiculous again!!! ^^ :)

*cheers*

This is exactly the problem I'm having right now. Glassed Silver can you please tell me how you got it fixed and how you've setup your notifications?

Right now I can't use the forum as I want to. I get endless notifications for one Thread with immediate and none with offline while I'm searching other sections in the forum.

• Like 1

This is exactly the problem I'm having right now. Glassed Silver can you please tell me how you got it fixed and how you've setup your notifications?

Right now I can't use the forum as I want to. I get endless notifications for one Thread with immediate and none with offline while I'm searching other sections in the forum.

The feature seems to have its good and bad moments, sometimes it works, other times not.

It never work on the notifications PAGE, which is a real shame.

I found the grouping to work the most reliable when called from the front page and not within the forums.

Good luck!

Glassed Silver:ios