15 posts in this topic

Posted

Heya guys,

okay, first off, I read some time ago that mutliple entries per thread (as long as they appear as new) get consolidated.
That means, if user A and B reply to a thread called "humpy dumby" I get one notification.
I don't know how this was ever intended to appear, whether a consolidated "A and B replied to Humpy Dumby" or just the latest change, but it was announced.

Hence me filing this as a bug.

As I do doubt a little that this feature is even implemented yet, I also added the "request" tag.

This is how it looks like atm:
[attachment=306050:Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-11 um 00.27.10.png]

Quite fugly.

I request/file for broken functionality of consolidated notifications on a per thread basis.

BONUS: Indicator for how many notifications there are (similar to the mobile site)!

Thank you

[i]Glassed Silver:mac[/i]

[i]PS: Yes, the picture depicts only read ones, but trust me, it's the same with new notifications! HELL![/i]

Posted

Yes, I think that broke with the recent update to 3.2.3 (from 3.2.2) I'll ask Redmak to look into it again.

This is the hell of having a customized forum that does what we want, after upgrades, the customizations usually go missing :p

Posted

[quote name='Neobond' timestamp='1328951598' post='594647728']
Yes, I think that broke with the recent update to 3.2.3 (from 3.2.2) I'll ask Redmak to look into it again.

This is the hell of having a customized forum that does what we want, after upgrades, the customizations usually go missing :p
[/quote]
Yeah I know...

Costumization and integrity often go two different ways.
One of them the way of the dodo...

[i]Glassed Silver:ios[/i]

Posted

[quote name='Glassed Silver' timestamp='1328967282' post='594647922']Costumization and integrity often go two different ways.[/quote]

[img]http://www.clown-ministry.com/images/bozo-the-clown-adult-costume.jpg[/img]

Costumization? :p
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='-Alex-' timestamp='1329089048' post='594650980']
[img]http://www.clown-ministry.com/images/bozo-the-clown-adult-costume.jpg[/img]

Costumization? :p
[/quote]

Damn you typo nazi! :p

1 person likes this

Posted

#el bumpo

Any updates on this?

I just got a little buddy showing me ridiculous 83 notification for literally a handful of topics and it's getting a [b]major[/b] annoyance for using the forums.

Posted

This is getting a true punishment at times...

Talk about corelation: [url="http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1079069-why-are-you-less-active-than-you-used-to-on-the-neowin-forums/"]http://www.neowin.ne...-neowin-forums/[/url]

[attachment=312801:IMG_1953.PNG]

Posted

#bump

Oh Jesus :laugh:

[attachment=314493:Bildschirmfoto 2012-07-10 um 15.51.15.png]

Posted

[quote name='Glassed Silver' timestamp='1341928263' post='594992229'][attachment=314493:Bildschirmfoto 2012-07-10 um 15.51.15.png][/quote]
Christ, man! 1999 notifications?!

I think it's rare that I end up with 5 notifications after being away for a while. Although with that said, I am online pretty much every day, so I always see when the latest notification has come in.

Posted

[quote name='Intrinsica' timestamp='1341930703' post='594992309'] Christ, man! 1999 notifications?! I think it's rare that I end up with 5 notifications after being away for a while. Although with that said, I am online pretty much every day, so I always see when the latest notification has come in. [/quote]
Been "collecting" this now for a mere month or so for purpose of demonstration.
I have quote and like notifications, granted, but it's ridiculous how far this problem stretches...

Is my case an extreme one? Probably!
Is Neowin a geek forum and hence has some people on it with extreme usage patterns? Betcha!
Is Neowin catering with a fix towards this issue that renders a crucial feature of the board useless for power users like me? Yes.
Did this slow me down on forum activity? Yes, because I cannot be a***ed to check dozens of threads on new replies myself. :laugh:

If we want to see forum activity rise again, maybe contributing and "spying" on the board should be easier again.

Another suggestion:
How about we sectionize the notifications site?
Something along those lines:

Tabs: "Replies to your threads" (including quotes of your contributions in your threads) - "Quotes for your replies" (in threads not created by you) - "Likes received" - "Other" (Someone added you as friend etc...)

[i]edit: / addition:[/i]
2039 now by the way... Doesn't need further commentary... >_>

Posted

Figured I'd ask what the status of this is since it's still an issue.

Posted

It's definitely on the to-do list because I want it too :p I'll remind Redmak about it.

Posted

Seems implemented now, no?
Hell yeah!

Finally, makes notifications useful and not ridiculous again!!! ^^ :)

*cheers*

Posted

[quote name='Glassed Silver' timestamp='1348606624' post='595205365']
Seems implemented now, no?
Hell yeah!

Finally, makes notifications useful and not ridiculous again!!! ^^ :)

*cheers*

[/quote]

This is exactly the problem I'm having right now. Glassed Silver can you please tell me how you got it fixed and how you've setup your notifications?
Right now I can't use the forum as I want to. I get endless notifications for one Thread with immediate and none with offline while I'm searching other sections in the forum.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Shasoosh' timestamp='1354008389' post='595351780']

This is exactly the problem I'm having right now. Glassed Silver can you please tell me how you got it fixed and how you've setup your notifications?
Right now I can't use the forum as I want to. I get endless notifications for one Thread with immediate and none with offline while I'm searching other sections in the forum.
[/quote]
The feature seems to have its good and bad moments, sometimes it works, other times not.
It never work on the notifications PAGE, which is a real shame.

I found the grouping to work the most reliable when called from the front page and not within the forums.

Good luck!