os x safari 5.2 preview lion

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:29

I like the wider tabs. On previous releases of Safari, they were fixed to a certain size no matter how much or little of the tab bar was used. So, if you only had a few tabs open, it was hard to read the text. But now, they are as wide as necessary, making it far easier to see, and get smaller the more tabs you open. I think it's a good decision, because it takes advantage of the otherwise wasted space.

And the grayed out URL is a feature that is also in, I think, IE and Chrome. It's designed to make it very obvious at a glance what TLD you're on, to ensure you're not on a phishing or fake site. I don't see this being changed.

#17 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:32

I like the wider tabs. On previous releases of Safari, they were fixed to a certain size no matter how much or little of the tab bar was used. So, if you only had a few tabs open, it was hard to read the text. But now, they are as wide as necessary, making it far easier to see, and get smaller the more tabs you open. I think it's a good decision, because it takes advantage of the otherwise wasted space.

I’m not criticizing the idea. In fact, I like it. But it just doesn’t look right.

And the grayed out URL is a feature that is also in, I think, IE and Chrome. It's designed to make it very obvious at a glance what TLD you're on, to ensure you're not on a phishing or fake site. I don't see this being changed.

It’s just that it’s too pale. I can barely even see it.

#18 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:38

It works.

Hm... Damn. :/ Any ideas if there's a preferences file I can trash to see if it fixes it?

#19 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:38

I'm not really sure how they can fix it without just going back to the small fixed-size tabs, though. I think it just looks weird because it's not what we're used to. I think after a while, it will look just fine.

I've also found most Safari extensions are working in 5.2, so there might not have been a lot of major underlying changes between .1 and .2.

#20 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:47

I don't get it. Certain words that are wrongly spelled in Mail get corrected, but those same mistakes aren't corrected in Safari. Auto-correct does work, just half of the time. Example: When I write down "dont" in Mail it auto-corrects. It won't in Safari. :/

#21 Jebadiah

Jebadiah

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:57

Apple Seeds Safari 5.2 for OS X Lion to Developers

Alongside the OS X Mountain Lion developer preview released today, Apple has also pushed out Safari 5.2 for Lion to developers. The update brings a number of new features that will be included with Safari in OS X Mountain Lion later this year.

Posted Image

Among the new additions are a unified address/search bar, new persistent Reader icon that is blue when available and grey when inactive, and new URL styling to highlight the domain the page is on while deemphasizing other aspects of the URL.

Posted Image

Apple has not said when it plans to release Safari 5.2 for OS X Lion to the public, but it will presumably do so alongside OS X Mountain Lion in "late summer". Apple just recently began seeding Safari 5.1.4 to developers, and the company will likely continue with the 5.1.x line on Lion until the Mountain Lion launch.

Source: Mac Rumors

Screenshot featuring the new URL bar:

Posted Image

With performance still in the crapper.

#22 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:01

The performance seems as good as Safari 5.1.x. But it's also a beta, so there may yet to be any true underlying performance improvements.

#23 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:11

For whatever reason Substitutions > Text Replacement was turned off. Auto-correct works as usual again.

#24 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:24

Safari 5.2 has a new "Passwords" tab, presumably there so you don't have to dig around in the Keychain as often.

#25 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:27

I just noticed that. Pretty convenient. (Y)

I like the wider tabs. On previous releases of Safari, they were fixed to a certain size no matter how much or little of the tab bar was used.

About that: I could swear a previous Safari version did that before too. It definitely isn't the first time Apple introduced this.

#26 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:56

About that: I could swear a previous Safari version did that before too. It definitely isn't the first time Apple introduced this.

Yep. Apple did it with the Safari 4 "tabs on top" beta but scrapped it when they scrapped the tabs on top. It's also how the Safari on the iPad in iOS 5 does tabs.

#27 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 21 February 2012 - 23:53

Is there a way to make Safari stop asking to save my passwords globally?

#28 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 February 2012 - 00:35

Is there a way to make Safari stop asking to save my passwords globally?

Turn off AutoFill for "User names and passwords". Safari 5.2 turns it on even if it was turned off before.

Edit: Adding a screenshot just in case.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 8.30.26 PM.png

#29 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:29

I'm really liking Safari 5.2. The addition of the OmniBar fixed the only gripe I had with Safari, and the tweaked UI and full-screen behavior are great.

Performance has also been great for me. It's a little slower than Chrome in JavaScript but does much better at Canvas and CSS transforms.

#30 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 22 February 2012 - 19:43

Thanks Elliott. (Y) Safari has always been the only opinion for me. I just can't deal with Firefox and Chrome and their ****ty non-standard interfaces and lack of OS integration.