Apple knows no shame: steals ICS camera unlock for iOS

Although I don't support some of Apple's recent legal actions against Samsung, I disagree with the author of this article. Apple's implementation of the slide-to-camera unlock feature is different than Google's implementation in Android 4.0. The main difference is that in iOS 5.1, you slide up to access the camera. And in Android 4.0, you drag a cursor to the left which can also be moved up or to the right.

But did they change enough of it? Whether it is sliding up or sliding to the left....doesnt seem like a real big change.

Windows Phone had the first lock screen to camera feature. ;)

Did it have the slide gesture or just a button you pushed from the lock screen.?

Google isnt suing over anything yet and we shall see if they do which they may. It is all getting beyond stupid and Apple/Google/Manufacturers need to find some way to resolve their issues or this is never going to end.

But did they change enough of it? Whether it is sliding up or sliding to the left....doesnt seem like a real big change.

Actually, Apple's implementation is similar to Windows Phone 7's unlocking: you slide away the lock screen to reveal the camera. Very different feel to the "target to unlock/camera" action that Google is using.

Actually, Apple's implementation is similar to Windows Phone 7's unlocking: you slide away the lock screen to reveal the camera. Very different feel to the "target to unlock/camera" action that Google is using.

... but ... in WP7, you don't slide away the lock screen to reveal the camera. You don't have to touch the screen at all. Although it animates it sliding away for you.

I am really sick of this crap. Sick of our patent system. All this does is cause 1 loser and that is the consumer. I want companies to copy ideas from other companies and build on them. All it does is make the products better for us. This is crazy stupid you can patent a swipe to unlock or wtfever. I have been swiping my finger to unlock my porch door for 30 years. This is going to get so ridicules that no products will be able to be developed.

There was not a single phone that i can remember that didnt unlock by pushing the green button to the right of the center button, and its icon looked like a green phone headset,,,. No lawsuits over that

I dont remember a single phone that didnt have a button on the side that activated the camera from anywhere, locked or not... No lawsuits over that

Aaaand touchscreens come and its lawsuit,lawsuit,lawsuit.bs.bs.bs

Its all stupid

Ummm I don't recall many, if any phones that unlocked that way. Most had a variant of nokias unlock.

Oh click the unlock button above the green answer button, then you clicked star. Single key unlocks kind of defeat the purpose of key locks.

I don't see the big deal? accessing the camera on iOS from the lock screen is already there since iOS 5 (double tap the home button and press the camera button that appears next to the slide to unlock slider), they are simply making it easier to access. You can easily argue that Google copied Apple, since Apple had it out to market first (as iOS 5 has been out longer then Android 4.0).

... but ... in WP7, you don't slide away the lock screen to reveal the camera. You don't have to touch the screen at all. Although it animates it sliding away for you.

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear. :p I was talking about WP7's unlocking mechanism, not its "jump to camera" shortcut. I know you hold down the hardware camera button to jump straight to the camera.

Although I don't support some of Apple's recent legal actions against Samsung, I disagree with the author of this article. Apple's implementation of the slide-to-camera unlock feature is different than Google's implementation in Android 4.0. The main difference is that in iOS 5.1, you slide up to access the camera. And in Android 4.0, you drag a cursor to the left which can also be moved up or to the right.

788115669.png

Either the author/site wants clicks or the author actually personally believes Apple stole that feature from Android. Take your pick ;).