Android 5.0 dual-boot with Windows 8 on Tablets

Creating more fragmentation.

Google may launch Android 5.0 in 2Q12, say Taiwan makers

Viewing that the adoption of Android 4.0 has fallen short of original expectations and Microsoft will launch Windows 8 in the third quarter of 2012, Google is likely to launch Android 5.0 (Jelly Bean) in the second quarter and appeal for adopting Android 5.0 and Windows 8 in the same tablet PC, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

Android 5.0 will be further optimized for tablet PCs, while Google will also integrate its Chrome system functions to push dual-operating system designs. Brand vendors can either choose to adopt only Android 5.0 or add Android 5.0 to Windows 8 devices with the ability to switch between the two OSes without the need to shut down the computer.

Through Android 5.0, Google also wishes to earn another chance to enter the notebook and netbook markets.

However, since Android 4.0 did not perform as well as expected, several of Google's downstream partners are turning conservative about Android 5.0....

Android 5.0 ?Jelly Bean? could push fragmentation to new heights

Despite the fact that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is only found on a handful of Android devices ? Ice Cream Sandwich penetration currently sits at 1%, just as it did more than one month ago ? a new report suggests Google is preparing to launch the next major build of its mobile platform as early as next quarter...

If DigiTimes?s report turns out to be accurate, Google could be pushing Android fragmentation to new heights with Jelly Bean. Vendors like Motorola plan to roll out Android 4.0 updates for their devices over the course of the second and third quarters, and Ice Cream Sandwich may already be obsolete by the time it finally arrives on these smartphones and tablets.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/16/android-5-0-jelly-bean-could-push-fragmentation-to-new-heights/

If I've got Win8, why would I need Android? Sorry, Google, but I'm not sure why you need to push dual boot systems. If I want an Android tablet, I'll buy one.

I can't see why I would need Android if I've got Windows 8.

for the same reason you would decide to dual-boot Windows with Linux

because you can

Brilliant.

People can say what they want, but this is the reason Apple and Google still exist today and decisions like this will keep it that way for a long time.

Most will be looking forward to Windows 8, and most of us have already set our mind to get one of those tablets. It isn't difficult to forecast the sales and market shares. When I pick up my Windows 8 tablet in a year time, I won't mind if it also comes with Android. But to Google, for every tablet that's sold without Android, it's their loss.

You're going up against the big player in the game, your first and foremost priority isn't to overtake; That's unrealistic. It's almost like a poker game, and obeys nature's laws. What you strive for is to stay with the leader to earn yourself a chance to improvise and expand through co-existence, then look for opportunities. This is one of those occasions where carefully planning your baby steps will benefit you more in the long run than trying to rush into the game and try drawing your large picture into reality.

Apple Boot Camp anyone? "If you can't eliminate your enemy, be their friend (first)."

And I wish my HP TouchPad had dual-booting anything on it. Oh wait...

LOL at this garbage article. More FUD from the Apple or MS shills.

And you can immediately know that this type of article comes from Apple or MS shill when it starts with "Creating more fragmentation". The only people who whine and scream about fragmentation on Android are the ones who support either MS but most likely Apple.

So what? i don't give a flying frick. I encourage Google to release faster. The faster it keeps releasing features the more it will become obvious who is copying who and Android users get innovation.

I just wish they would patent every single thing they push out so Apple can't steal any of it as they have in the past.

Btw, I highly doubt it will be Android 5.0.. more likely Android an update to 4.0 that will add these features.

• Like 2

First they should work on actually getting more than 1% of their newest OS on their devices.

Blame the device makers, HTC is bringing ICS to all their modern handsets, my phone came originally with 2.2 and even I'm getting the upgrade :p

Not sure what fragmentation has to do with a device being able to dual boot. :/

However, honestly, I don't see the average user ever use this. They buy a tablet and stick with the OS that runs on it.

Blame the device makers, HTC is bringing ICS to all their modern handsets, my phone came originally with 2.2 and even I'm getting the upgrade :p

not really their modern devices as they don't have htc wildfire s which is their latest budget smartphone. My Sony Xperia mini is getting 4.0 though :)

not really their modern devices as they don't have htc wildfire s which is their latest budget smartphone. My Sony Xperia mini is getting 4.0 though :)

You had to pick the main one that wasn't getting it, well they add a few more to the list of devices every week so there's still time.

Android 5.0 was posted already a couple days ago....

http://www.neowin.ne...-taiwan-makers/

Doubt they will come out with 5.0 that soon. But who knows

I wouldn't underestimate Google. With the exception of ICS, they released their yearly Android update in the third quarter. I think the only reason for the delays in release this year were tied to the Nexus device itself and ensuring the device was ready to launch around the same time they released the code.

But why they are trying to sell a dual boot version of android doesn't really make sense at first, but there is a potential opportunity to improve integration for android phone users who would rather purchase a Windows tablet over an Android-only tablet. It would essentially allow the user to be able to use both interfaces depending on what they want to do. Bluestacks is nice, but running everything natively is always better.

you right, we should use one and only OS, provided by MS. Yes, you are right.

That's not what I meant. What I'm saying is, I can't see what functionality Android would bring that Windows 8 wouldn't, honestly.

That's not what I meant. What I'm saying is, I can't see what functionality Android would bring that Windows 8 wouldn't, honestly.

Maybe bringing 500,000 applications to the tablet (ARM) that won't ever be on Windows 8 ?