Sky Go - Now available on Android Market

Some more details of the service, this has been available on the iPhone for about 6 months.

From today Android phone users will be able to enjoy the wonders of Sky Go.

The service, which allows Sky TV customers to watch their favourite shows on the move, through their phone, laptop or tablet, launches on a selection of the most popular handsets. This includes the HTC Desire S and Samsung Galaxy S2, covering the majority of Android users.

We've also announced today the news that all Sky Go users will be able to watch Sky 1, Sky Living and Sky Arts 1, in addition to the channels already available on the service.

The Sky Sports F1 HD channel will also be introduced across all Sky Go platforms in March.

Holly Knill, Head of Sky Go, told today@sky: ""We?re extremely happy to announce the roll out of Sky Go on select Android handsets today and the arrival of the Sky Entertainment channels on the mobile platform. We are always working to ensure that Sky customers have more ways to watch content they love, whether it?s a big Premier League game or America?s Next Top Model on Sky Living. This is exactly what this enhanced version of Sky Go delivers.?

Sky Go launches today on Android, but may take a little while to show in the Market. Keep checking back!

For more details go to

http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-watch/sky-go/

Doesnt work on rooted phones or ICS either, what a joke.

Like most of Sky products why do a good job when you can bodge together a piece of c*** that will only work 10% of the time :)

Doesnt work on rooted phones or ICS either, what a joke.

It should work on rooted phones, one of the guys I work with his is a rooted Samsung and it workes, it's just not supported, as it's not supported on jailbroken iPhones.

As it is free, could someone with access post the .apk please, can't download it as the Transformer is not officially supported

NM: Installs and runs fine, but soon as you sign in it refuses the device

Also no Landscape mode, I can't understand why devs fail to add support for landscape in a world where widescreen is the norm - especially for things that play video

Sounds like Sky needs to talk to the coders of the Netflix app for some advice. LOL No landscape mode on a video player app? Are they ****ing high or just stupid?

As it is free, could someone with access post the .apk please, can't download it as the Transformer is not officially supported

NM: Installs and runs fine, but soon as you sign in it refuses the device

Also no Landscape mode, I can't understand why devs fail to add support for landscape in a world where widescreen is the norm - especially for things that play video

No landscape on a TV streaming app? Well that's just pure fail.

Obviously video is landscape...

Just the interface is locked in portrait.

I can't test the quality as I've exceeded my device limit changes for this month but it installed fine on my rooted HTC Desire.

Directly from the horses mouth.

Some more details about the launch of Sky Go on Android, and some of the reasons why it isn't supported on all Android phones at the moment.

We?re pleased to say that customers with the XE version of the HTC Sensation phone and the Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100P) can now download the Sky Go app.

Supported Devices

?Android works differently on different phones and with the variety of screen sizes between makes and models, we need to test our app rigorously on each device to make sure customers get the best Sky Go experience. Not until it gets our stamp of approval do we consider it a supported device.

?We focused first on the most common operating system versions (v2.2 and v2.3) on a range of the most popular handsets. We?re now looking at other phones and it would be great to know what you?d like us to focus on next. Please use the message boards to tell us which Android handset you?d like the Sky Go app on."

Anytime+ on Android

You also asked why Anytime+ wasn?t available yet on Sky Go for Android.

?We?re in the process of developing Anytime+ for Sky Go on Android. We needed to prioritise our development and at Christmas chose to push on with launching the linear service while we continue testing Anytime+. So the launch is in two stages - as it was with Apple devices. We?re on it now and we?ll be launching in the coming months. We?ll keep you posted."

Ice Cream Sandwich

Android has a new version of its operating system coming out soon, which is (bizarrely) called Ice Cream Sandwich.

?We can?t begin testing our app on this until we receive new releases from Samsung and HTC. We hope to get these in the next 3-4 weeks. Once we do, we?ll absolutely be on to that as well and we?ll let you know when we?ll be able to support phones using this new operating system."

The Sky Go team are working flat out to extend the service to as many customers as possible, looking at new phones and devices every day.

?It?s not just the phones we?re learning about. The whole Android market is evolving all the time. We also need to work with a range of different partners ? not least our content partners - as we look to extend the number of devices and include Android tablets. We also have to make sure that we?re protecting the security of our content against unauthorised access and piracy.?

No landscape on a TV streaming app? Well that's just pure fail.

Sounds like Sky needs to talk to the coders of the Netflix app for some advice. LOL No landscape mode on a video player app? Are they ****ing high or just stupid?

I'm not sure where this has come from, landscape mode seems to work perfectly for me (when viewing content) - it's just the channel guide that's stuck in portrait (I admit, that should rotate to landscape too).

My biggest gripe is I can only watch Sky News, because any other channel fails to stream, presumably due to my Desire being rooted.

I'm not sure where this has come from, landscape mode seems to work perfectly for me (when viewing content) - it's just the channel guide that's stuck in portrait (I admit, that should rotate to landscape too).

Oh, OK. I haven't seen the app myself and was just going by the previous comment. The Netflix app does the same damned thing there. The show listings are in portrait and the videos are in landscape.

Those of you with root who are having trouble with getting this working should download the free app called Voodoo OTA.

It's a utility app which has a neat secondary feature of temporarily hiding your phone's root status, and the best news is... it makes Sky Go think you're not rooted!