Need help for video editing, codec and converter apps

Question

Hello.

I'm just getting into video editing right now. I plan to soon start working on editing my own trailers for existing movies. Hoping to become fluent in editing via this, I'll then start helping my friends on editing their short films.

I currently have the latest version of Sony Vegas Pro (v11). The problem with it is the lack of formats it supports. Earlier, it didn't even support .avi files encoded using XviD. So I downloaded the XviD codec and that problem is, thankfully, solved. Similarly, it wouldn't open .mov files. I downloaded the QT Lite coded and that issue is, fortunately, resolved too.

Now, the main problem is that a lot of the source files I'm going to use for making my own fanmade trailers, i.e. the movies themselves, are in .mkv format. And I have no idea how to get them to open in Vegas. Is there any codec I can download which will remedy this quandary?

If there is no such codec, then I will have to convert the .mkv files to .mp4 for being able to import them, right? For such a task, could you people recommend the best video converting software? Since the files will be huge (they are for full movies), I want a converting software which will let me only do clips of the actual file. I know iSkysoft lets you do that but I'm not finding any place to download that from. Any other alternative you can suggest?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet