#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,063 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 24 February 2012 - 13:32

Intel joins The Document Foundation, pushes LibreOffice
Redmond pines for bygone WinTel hegemony

Intel has begun distributing the open source LibreOffice suite via its online AppUp Store, and has joined the board of The Document Foundation (TDF) – a decision that will have many of the Redmond old-guard fuming.

"I have been using LibreOffice from day one for presentations at conferences and for data analysis," said Dawn Foster, open source community lead at Intel, in a statement. "Our engineers have worked with the LibreOffice codebase to optimize it for Intel hardware. Adding it to the AppUp Center is an obvious extension, and will provide an exciting feature for all Ultrabook users."

While LibreOffice already has a cozy relationship with the main open source vendors such as SUSE and Red Hat, it has lacked a major commercial member. The bagging of Intel, formerly one of Microsoft's closest allies in the technology world, is a major coup, and TDF board member Florian Effenberger said he was "thrilled" with the news.

The AppUp download is a special five-language (English, German, French, Spanish and Italian) edition of LibreOffice for Windows. The free download runs on Windows 7 and XP systems, and was developed with the support of SUSE.

"We welcome Intel to The Document Foundation, and look forward to working with them," said Dr. Gerald Pfeifer, senior director of product management at SUSE. "It's great to see Intel providing LibreOffice through an exciting new channel so that more and more users can experience LibreOffice on Windows."

LibreOffice recently completed the third major overhaul to its code base since TDF divorced itself from its OpenOffice origins after Oracle started rubbing people up the wrong way. It'scurrently planning Android, iOS, and cloud builds, and is the most dynamic open source rival to Microsoft's cash-cow Office applications suite. The fact that Intel is not only distributing it but also contributing financially to its development must rankle many at Redmond. ®

Source: The Register

#2 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• 3,973 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:54

I will consider LibreOffice when updating from 2.2.3 to 2.2.4 does not require downloading the whole suite of MBs all over again. It's a shame they still don't have the concept of delta/incremental patches.

#3 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:29

Well maybe this will help LibreOffice in areas it lacks (1) optimization (2) user interface (3) docx support and (4) not being a laughingstock of Office 2007+ crowd

#4 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,402 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 25 February 2012 - 18:54

Intel sees MS shafting them by allowing windows on ARM CPUs so they're probably doing a 'well you screwed us so we will screwed you'
Never-the-less, good to see libreoffice getting bigger! :D

And I agree about the incremental updates, but not just with libreoffice, EVERYTHING. On linux it wastes so much space by downloading packages when all you'd need are 'change-bits' and just to apply them, would really reduce the required load :(

#5 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

• 2,150 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 00:03

Well maybe this will help LibreOffice in areas it lacks (1) optimization (2) user interface (3) docx support and (4) not being a laughingstock of Office 2007+ crowd

LibreOffice supports docx format.

#6 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,159 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 26 February 2012 - 00:13

There's a difference between 'being able to open it and look somewhat like the original' and supporting something.

LibreOffice is okay. But Microsoft made a brilliant interface with the Ribbon, it'll take some very innovative ideas to beat it.

#7 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,427 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 26 February 2012 - 00:21

Supporting the format is one thing. Getting the layout intact is another. That said, the reverse holds true as well - Word 2010 didn't open a .odt file correctly the last time I tried it.

#8 x9248

x9248

Neowinian

• 1,138 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 00:30

Since I just did a fresh install on my new PC I needed Office. Saw this thread and installed this instead, tried to open my .docx resume file and it didn't retain the layout I had done.

Back to Office.

#9 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:07

Microsoft don't care, LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org will never be a threat to Microsoft Office. Google Docs however, that are scared that this has the potential to step up and be a threat and the world shifts to cloud.

#10 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,177 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:13

Just as predecessor OpenOffice did.

It was like the old assumption (which I am still busily debunking) that Office 2010 no longer supports the old Office document/spreadsheet/etc., formats.

#11 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 3,185 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:38

Great news! LibreOffice is a superb FOSS office suite. Combined with Google Docs, it fulfils all my work/personal needs.

Since I just did a fresh install on my new PC I needed Office. Saw this thread and installed this instead, tried to open my .docx resume file and it didn't retain the layout I had done.

Back to Office.

All my files are stored in the OpenDocument format. Microsoft's proprietary extensions make docx unsuitable for my needs. I've also noticed a lot of public institutions are now requiring true open standards that are supported across multiple platforms and implementations.

#12 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,039 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:59

I like kingsoft office the UI is much better.

#13 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:27

Yes with only slight problems which make it unreliable for properly rendering that homework assignment that you need to turn in in 10 minutes.
Worthless!

#14 TEX4S

TEX4S

Neowinian Senior

• 6,857 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:38

Office 2010 FTW - if they are the measuring stick - why go elsewhere ?

Its cheap, stable, effective, and powerful.

#15 lalalawawawa

lalalawawawa

Neowinian Senior

• 3,345 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:40

Supporting the format is one thing. Getting the layout intact is another. That said, the reverse holds true as well - Word 2010 didn't open a .odt file correctly the last time I tried it.

Tested more than 100 OpenDocument Text and OpenDocument Spreadsheet files a week ago. Everything opened perfectly in Word and Excel.

The major problem with LO is that it uses Java, and is terribly slow, as all Java applications that I've tried. Not to mention that installing Java opens up a huge security window.