Unable to add Exchange account to Windows 8 CP

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 76

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:41

Can't for the life of me add the exchange account to Windows 8 Mail app.

It works in Windows 7, Outlook 2010 (cached mode) but with SSL turned off (also in my iPhone) but there isn't an option for that in the mail app. It just keeps saying "Can't connect to Exchange, check the settings"

I'm also logged into Windows 8 using my domain account.

Any ideas?

#2 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:43

Same issue here, am really wishing there was an option for more detailed error messages.

#3 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:55

I'm beginning to think they've intentionally crippled a lot of features for the beta Customer Preview. You can't select media folders for the music or video apps, either... Nor can I sign in to my Zune account in them from the UK.

#4 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:56

Well it automatically added my hotmail account as well, but shows no mails at all?

I have my hotmail account (Microsoft ID) linked with my domain account in Windows 8.

#5 marc2003

marc2003

Neowinian

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:57

the metro mail app is so unbelievably crippled, i can't believe anyone would want to use it with exchange...

#6 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:59

I'm beginning to think they've intentionally crippled a lot of features for the beta Customer Preview. You can't select media folders for the music or video apps, either... Nor can I sign in to my Zune account in them from the UK.

I've seen reports on "how easy it is" to add Exchange to the mail app, by doing a Google search as well :/

#7 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 March 2012 - 13:54

What version of Exchange? Once I get the network guys to fix the 802.1x on my work laptop/Win 8 CP, I'll try. We use the Autodiscover along with RPC so I would think it would work, but I'll test it out later and report back.

#8 Drugar

Drugar

Neowinian

Posted 01 March 2012 - 14:07

Having the same issue as well, and that is with my trying to set it up while on the network. We are using Exchange 2010 with Autodiscover. Maybe I should try setting it up when im outside the network. That's the trick I have to use with Android phones :D

#9 ObiWanToby

ObiWanToby

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 March 2012 - 14:13

My Exchange accounts work fine. One Office 2007 and one Office 2010 (office.com).

#10 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

Posted 01 March 2012 - 14:54

Having the same issue as well, and that is with my trying to set it up while on the network. We are using Exchange 2010 with Autodiscover. Maybe I should try setting it up when im outside the network. That's the trick I have to use with Android phones :D

I have Exchange 2010, What's autodiscover and how/should I enable it? None of my setups correctly detect Exchange from the email and password (on the local network, or outside it) I have to manually enter all the server and domain info and then it works, but in this case not in Windows 8 Mail app.

#11 acrophile

acrophile

Neowinian

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:11

Autodiscover can get a bit tricky, but once you get it going it is really convenient, especially for mobile devices...

http://technet.micro...y/bb124251.aspx

mostly it involves some dns changes (A record for autodiscover.domain.com) although there are other URL's it checks automatically (like domain.com/autodiscover I believe)...

microsoft also has a great utility to troubleshoot autodiscover and activesync issues etc:

https://www.testexch...nnectivity.com/

#12 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:32

I can verify that Outlook over RPC does work. Autodiscover worked perfectly! :)

EDIT: Oh, and I was able to get it added through the mail app in the Start Screen. I did get a message that I needed to make my PC more secure, and when I accepted, I now see my Exchange emails along with GMail and Hotmail.

#13 aalaap

aalaap

I made LinkBunch

Posted 02 March 2012 - 13:35

It took a few tries for me to get my Exchange account added, but I just can't seem to switch to using it. The tab that comes up when I go into settings has Hotmail, Exchange and Google (I added all three), but I just can't click on any account to switch to it. The main pane displays Hotmail forever.

:-S

#14 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:50

It took a few tries for me to get my Exchange account added, but I just can't seem to switch to using it. The tab that comes up when I go into settings has Hotmail, Exchange and Google (I added all three), but I just can't click on any account to switch to it. The main pane displays Hotmail forever.

:-S

Do you mind sharing how you managed to get it setup? :p

I have checked exchange settings and I can't find why it won't connect when Outlook Anywhere works fine, and also works fine on my iPhone (no SSL).

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:22

Well they are beta apps, as for media, add the folders to you music/video library