• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 March 2012 - 13:45

Hi,

When I install any application, many of it's modules are automatically getting pinned to Start Screen.

If I install Wifi driver, 4-5 shortcuts are getting pinned to Metro startup screen
for Tuneup Utilities, around 30-40.

How to disable this by default.

#2 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 March 2012 - 13:48

welcome to the first complaint I had about the metro screen... at least in the start menu you had a hiearchy of stuff that you could pin only what you wanted to see on the main start page... this right now seems to take anything that would of been a start menu group or item and make it a tile... which is annoying

I have a few toolkits that littearly install groups of a hundred or so tools into the start menu, organized in groups... in the metro start screen when I installed it felt like I just lost all ability to do anything with the screen because it was so full

#3 OP nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:44

I believe two things immediately needs to be taken care of
1. This metro behavior
2. Start Button

Not but least, I want colorful Windows 8 Logo ;)

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:58

Well in the future when your drivers are Windows 8 certified, they won't pin any shortcuts to the start screen, they'll all end up in the settings or all programs menu, and those drivers that may need a icon there, will only place the one you need not the other ones.

#5 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2012 - 16:38

Well in the future when your drivers are Windows 8 certified, they won't pin any shortcuts to the start screen, they'll all end up in the settings or all programs menu, and those drivers that may need a icon there, will only place the one you need not the other ones.

oh comon, you know companies will want to put all their stuff in the front light it's just how some companies are

#6 soumyasch

soumyasch

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2012 - 16:47

Then I'll ask for the start screen in the future. Right now, give me my start menu back, MS!!

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2012 - 17:03

Then you'll have to stick to Windows 7, the start menu is deprecated in Windows 8

#8 Danielle1989

Danielle1989

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2012 - 17:15

Then you'll have to stick to Windows 7, the start menu is deprecated in Windows 8

This

#9 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:49

Just wait a few more days and Classic Shell will be up and running on Windows 8, complete with the Start button and search even if MS doesn't restore the Start Menu:
Posted Image

#10 lalalawawawa

lalalawawawa

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:02

^ wow, that is so awesome. It totally goes with the philosophy of Windows 8 "alive and connected".

NOT!

#11 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:20

Just wait a few more days and Classic Shell will be up and running on Windows 8, complete with the Start button and search even if MS doesn't restore the Start Menu:
Posted Image

This looks better to use with a mouse...but hell no, there's no way i'm going to use that horrible looking thing.

#12 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:39

This looks better to use with a mouse...but hell no, there's no way i'm going to use that horrible looking thing.

^ wow, that is so awesome. It totally goes with the philosophy of Windows 8 "alive and connected".
NOT!

Then you two must also be really hating the Windows 7 Start menu as on it, the Start menu is the only launcher available. Or you might be using alternative third party launchers :x or keep all the programs installed your computer pinned to the Taskbar. :p Or you using cmd.exe /Explorer.exe to launch all of your programs. :p :p

#13 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:29

Posted Image

Looks like dog vomit to me (but to each their own!), but i would think a lot of users would gain functionality with this.

#14 techguy77

techguy77

Neowinian

Posted 14 March 2012 - 16:09

If there is not auto pinning how else you would access it? It is logical Microsoft did this however i suggest every time you install application and gets pinned you pin it to taskbar or create shortcut to desktop and remove from Metro. I would suggest removing uninstallling everything from Metro except for Desktop Pin. I guess you will have to live with Metro being loaded after you login but that's about it, you should be able to stay on Desktop if you create all shortcuts you need. As far as search goes well it will take you to metro but you could browse to it rather. Search in Windows 8 is useless anyway. Don't use live account to login to Windows 8 but create local account. Last thing is that i would trust Microsoft to login using live account to my PC. No thanks.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:32

Well you ony pin the stuff you need fast access to, same as pinning to the start menu, except the start screen can pin a whole lot more. And for the rest, there the all apps buttons at the bottom of the start screen.

And how is search in win8 useless? It works excellently and instantly, and it separates settings from apps unlike win 7.

As for the live account, it is a local account it just means you use the same password as live and you automatically get signed in to live services, and it synchronizes backgrounds, themes and settings across computers. What's not to trus?