• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#316 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 13 November 2012 - 15:36

Actually the composer is used to digitize the human.

#317 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:17

I actually just dropped my copy of Halo 4 into a UPS drop box. Amazon was offering $32 trade in credit, and I wanted to get what I could before that number got even lower.

I tried to like the Campaign, put about 3 or so hours into it, but I just found it incredibly boring and repititve. Maybe it eventually gets better, but I will not know, as I am on to playing Black Ops II, which I already find to be much more entertaining than Halo 4 overall.

The way I see it, the FPS genre on a whole is a pretty dumb genre with no real progression in it for years now. it really is just glorified shooting galleries at the end of the day. So it might as well be over the top of fun, and Halo 4 possessed neither characteristic in my opinion.

Keep in mind I am not one to even care about the story in First Person Shooters, they are all equally bad IMO, so I never really cared about Master Chief, or what his whole plight is. Again, I am just looking for mindless entertainment as an FPS that provides otherwise is truly rare, I only believe Half Life 2 and the original Bioshock actually also had good plots, so yeah, take that for what it is. I just do not need any real type of story in an FPS to enjoy it. So with that said, I prefer to have fun and variety.

Oh well, I tried to like it. Just not my cup of tea.

#318 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:31

I actually just dropped my copy of Halo 4 into a UPS drop box. Amazon was offering $32 trade in credit, and I wanted to get what I could before that number got even lower.

I tried to like the Campaign, put about 3 or so hours into it, but I just found it incredibly boring and repititve. Maybe it eventually gets better, but I will not know, as I am on to playing Black Ops II, which I already find to be much more entertaining than Halo 4 overall.

The way I see it, the FPS genre on a whole is a pretty dumb genre with no real progression in it for years now. it really is just glorified shooting galleries at the end of the day. So it might as well be over the top of fun, and Halo 4 possessed neither characteristic in my opinion.

Keep in mind I am not one to even care about the story in First Person Shooters, they are all equally bad IMO, so I never really cared about Master Chief, or what his whole plight is. Again, I am just looking for mindless entertainment as an FPS that provides otherwise is truly rare, I only believe Half Life 2 and the original Bioshock actually also had good plots, so yeah, take that for what it is. I just do not need any real type of story in an FPS to enjoy it. So with that said, I prefer to have fun and variety.

Oh well, I tried to like it. Just not my cup of tea.

And you do a podcast on gaming?

#319 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 14 November 2012 - 13:52

And you do a podcast on gaming?

Ummm yeah, what is your point? Do you say that because I said I think First Person Shooters is a dying genre? If so, I have been playing them since their existence, and I have stated on this website, and on the podcast actually, that forever they were my favorite genre of video games to play, but I just feel there has been no real progression in years in the First Person Shooter genre. Besides better graphics and the occasional very cool weapon, what has really changed in them over the past 5 or so years? not much, so yeah, just finding them to be super boring overall these days, and I never thought thought would be the case. Can I not say that a genre of video games seems to have no real progression it it?

Or was it the fact that I said I think stories are dumb in games? For that, I would say I have been gaming since way before games even had a story beyond one sentence... Man in jungle on an adventure... Princess needs Rescuing... Universe Needs Saving... Gorilla hates barrels and Italians... I do not need a story to enjoy video games, and yes, no doubt in fact I do believe that video game stories are usually pretty damn awful. So again, what is your point, because I do not like the stories in games, I cannot talk about how enjoyable it was to PLAY said game? Really?

Or was it simply because I said I think Halo 4 is boring?

#320 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 14 November 2012 - 18:45

Ummm yeah, what is your point? Do you say that because I said I think First Person Shooters is a dying genre? If so, I have been playing them since their existence, and I have stated on this website, and on the podcast actually, that forever they were my favorite genre of video games to play, but I just feel there has been no real progression in years in the First Person Shooter genre. Besides better graphics and the occasional very cool weapon, what has really changed in them over the past 5 or so years? not much, so yeah, just finding them to be super boring overall these days, and I never thought thought would be the case. Can I not say that a genre of video games seems to have no real progression it it?

Or was it the fact that I said I think stories are dumb in games? For that, I would say I have been gaming since way before games even had a story beyond one sentence... Man in jungle on an adventure... Princess needs Rescuing... Universe Needs Saving... Gorilla hates barrels and Italians... I do not need a story to enjoy video games, and yes, no doubt in fact I do believe that video game stories are usually pretty damn awful. So again, what is your point, because I do not like the stories in games, I cannot talk about how enjoyable it was to PLAY said game? Really?

Or was it simply because I said I think Halo 4 is boring?

I sort of agree, but this is true across many genres. While there is for more complexity to RPG's, and even Fighters, etc. the games have fallen into position where they don't really innovate. Even Skyrim is just an upgrade from Oblivion (albeit a great game). There hasn't been a drastic change to gaming in the last few years outside of motion controls and online/social gaming.

#321 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:48

I sort of agree, but this is true across many genres. While there is for more complexity to RPG's, and even Fighters, etc. the games have fallen into position where they don't really innovate. Even Skyrim is just an upgrade from Oblivion (albeit a great game). There hasn't been a drastic change to gaming in the last few years outside of motion controls and online/social gaming.

Yeah actually after I posted my little rant, I thought the same thing to myself. That the same can really be said for a whole lot of genres. I think it is just more noticeable in FPS's since the overall mechanics have been the same for a very long time now. Also because it was no doubt my favorite genre for a very long time, I also played FPS's more than anything else, especially at one point in time. It is almost all I played. So I am definitely personally more burnt out on them than anything else.

But I digress, and did not mean to hijack the thread. I just thought for as well put together as Halo 4 is, and there is no doubt it has incredibly high production values, that it seemed very lackluster at the end of the day. Not much variety, and the variety that is there, well, I have driven vehicles in Halo since the beginning. So it really did not excite me all that much.

#322 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:48

Actually the composer is used to digitize the human.

I think it's a bit more than just that,
Spoiler

Anyways, with the campaign done I jumped into some MP, I love the idea behind Spartan Ops and how it extends the story, probably a good way to lead into Halo 5. First two episodes done but I'll be gone for a month so I'll miss the next ones. After that I've been doing some team slayer to pass the time.

#323 Xerax

Xerax

Flashbomb

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14

SpartanOps is a copy of SpecOps from Call of Duty

Sorry, this just made your entire post un-reliable.

#324 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:27

I think it's a bit more than just that,

Spoiler

Anyways, with the campaign done I jumped into some MP, I love the idea behind Spartan Ops and how it extends the story, probably a good way to lead into Halo 5. First two episodes done but I'll be gone for a month so I'll miss the next ones. After that I've been doing some team slayer to pass the time.

The composer was used to make 343 guilty spark...

#325 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:09

The composer was used to make 343 guilty spark...

Yeah, I'm aware. Just saying that if all you do is "digitize" the organic but leave out the 2nd part of the process then they're more or less dead you could say. So the people hit by it are stuck in digital limbo inside or were going to be made into promethean knights and so on.

#326 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:18

No, Halo 4 doesn't get any better.. Actually the ending itself is beyond deflating.. there is no big boss fight, there is nothing.. just more flipping freakin' switches.

BOPS2 will surprise you pleasantly.. it's a blast.

#327 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:24

I'm not interested in campaign in the slightest. FPS titles are made for multiplayer.

Where kind we find some type of dev to community interaction, discussion of plans/changes, etc? The Halo 4 website is so generic.

#328 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 19:12

Enjoying the multiplayer, hope this thread fills more. I did Redbox Black Ops 2, enjoying that considering I skipped MW3, actually the Black Ops are the only CODs I've bought since COD2.

#329 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 18 November 2012 - 19:15

I'm so into the game, I only have 7 achievements left and I need a buddy for Co-Op and the rest of the terminals along with one other for the campaign. No seriously, I've been a fan of Halo since I was 8 or 9.

#330 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2012 - 19:18

I'm so into the game, I only have 7 achievements left and I need a buddy for Co-Op and the rest of the terminals along with one other for the campaign. No seriously, I've been a fan of Halo since I was 8 or 9.

Same, I was 11 when the first Xbox and Halo came out, I have 13 achievements left, but most are of the remaining Spartan Ops, and the terminals. Solo legendary, I have Co-Op legendary.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!