AppAssure / VSS Writer Errors -

Been pulling my hair out trying to figure out this error. I use AppAssure Replay 4 and have it protecting four machines, doing snapshots every hour on one file-server that is posing a problem. Some snapshots complete successfully, but some do not. In the logs, I get VSS errors, and volsnap errors.

Event ID: 12289, VSS. 'Volume Shadow Copy Service error: unexpected DeviceIOControl (\?\Volume{guid} hr=9x80070057, The parameter is incorrect. Operation: Automatically choosing a different volume. Professing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context: Execution, System Provider

Event ID: 22, volsnap

The shadow copy storage volume specified for shadow copies on volume C: could not be added.

A generic error when I try to view the 'Shadow Copies' tab on my C: drive.

Thread: 45080 Logger: SnapshotHandler, Context: PG=VolsWithInterval60Minutes

Source Location: SnapshotHandler.cpp:240 Details: Unable to take VSS snapshot and transfer data for 'C:, C:\WindowsSRPPartition, D:: Error taking VSS snapshots of volume(s): AsyncWait for DoSnapshotSet failed - Snapshot vetoed by provider.

I believe all these errors are related to VSS, obviously. When I get these errors and run vssadmin list writers, most of them are in an error/failed state, code 7. I'd really like some help on this because I can't find much on the web about it in particular. I know the writers are what allow you to make copies of the system while people have files open, so it's imperative this works. If someone can't offer a solution, I'd at the very least like to know what your train of thought is, or what you'd troubleshoot next, if anything.

I've since opened a support ticket with AppAssure (now Dell, oh well), but I'd like to understand why this error occurs, for the sake of knowing how to fix it in the future, and for the sake of understanding the technology behind it.