How are Android updates pushed?

So, I hear about ICS updates being pushed by certain providers in certain regions. What happens with unlocked phones? I have an unlocked HTC EVO 3D on Virgin Mobile Canada, but my handset is from Rogers. VMC does not offer the EVO 3D, so does that mean updates will not be pushed to my handset?

Right now HTC has not updated the EVO 3D for ICS, but what will happen when it does? Can I update it manually? What about updates to the Android Market, do those come directly from Google, or are those also pushed through a provider?

You will be able to update to ICS via the downloaded file if OTA wont come your way.

Android Market ermm "Play Store" updates are pushed to the phone via Google. There's a market updater APK in the phone that updates the market when it's needed. For the change to play though, it was a backend update it seems, no new apk was downloaded to the phone.

You will be able to update to ICS via the downloaded file if OTA wont come your way.

Android Market ermm "Play Store" updates are pushed to the phone via Google. There's a market updater APK in the phone that updates the market when it's needed. For the change to play though, it was a backend update it seems, no new apk was downloaded to the phone.

There was a new APK, just you didn't see it install bringing us to 3.4.6 and as of this morning, 3.4.7.. :)