33 replies to this topic

#31 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• 1,673 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 23 March 2012 - 23:50

Huh, interesting read Neobond.

Kind of a harsh thing that server wipe, but that was 8 years ago at least. Truthfully I've never felt that Neowin in any way has been influenced to write about anything other than what the editor's want to write about. The best articles are usually the ones written by people who want to write it.

#32 SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

• 487 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 00:23

Neobond, I've enjoyed the site almost from the start- long before I had a user profile here- and see no problem with this. And back in the day when Stardock was doing OS/2 Object Desktop and such, I passively knew Brad, in the sense that we were frequenters on a CompuServe forum run by Will Zachmann. Brad is first class.

Keep up the good work here..

Oh- and I still have links from the sites you used to update people when the site was down.

#33 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,128 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:55

The part about "Why did Stardock get involved"... You have noted that they did this as a result of Microsoft's harassment (?) of Neowin. But what was their motivation? Why do they care?

To put it simply Brad Wardell is a fan of the site, he has been registered here since 2002 and he was in a position to take Neowin from a hobby site into a proper LLC. We had loads of offers (between 2002 and 2005) for the same thing but they all amounted to losing control of the ownership of the site. We still get offers for buyouts :p

Wow, had no idea. What was the exact date that Neowin had official monetary involvement with Stardock? I mean, you had to have an official date when you when "pub" to "pro".

It became effective from 1 March 2005, but we started 'talking' in November 2004.

PS: Sorry to bump this, but I had to have another read after this was posted (with the disclaimer at the bottom) :p 

#34 vetJames7

James7

Fixed tentatively

• 7,386 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:00

For me, Start8 made my Windows 7 upgrade to 8 (in a virtual machine, of course, as I have been using Linux since 2007) enjoyable.

Frankly, I'm delighted Stardock is associated with Neowin.