Just Acquired A New Box

Recylcing this for an office in town,

Dell Optiflex 755 SFF,

I havent booted it and as far as I know its got "Vista" installed, and runs a Core2 duo, 160Gb hdd, 2Gb ram.

It's the most modern box I now have(old NEC p4 and old AMD XP2600 are the other machines I have,), so obviously its going to be the new number one here,

Is this box worth upgrading? for instance a quad core processor? ugrade graphics or ram?

Wipe the hdd and install W7?

Feel free to add comments or suggestions, :)

Well, regardless of anything you do - Install Windows 7.

Otherwise I'd pop a bit more memory in and it'll be a fine machine. SSD would make a huge difference too!

Lol Tex :)

Ha Ha, it's cool guys, TEX is just havin' a larlf, :D hes slaggin off my "auld crap", which it is :D

Upon boot, its not as even as good as originally expected, looks like the office folk wiped the vista, its standard XP SP3, and only 80Gb hdd, and 1Gb ram,

But, yes, theres potential, looks like an old BIOS version too, so thats worth an upgrade to start, theres not much room "under the hood" though, being the SFF(small form) case version, it uses what looks like a laptop DVD drive, and the slots at the back for additional cards for sound/graphics/whateva upgrades are "small"...

Nevah mind, its better than what I've got already haha :)

Well I guess what you consider to be perfect - I consider to be a nuisance and a huge warning flag of being a hoarder.

Probably has a basement full of betamax tapes because - "they are still watchable"

Do you understand what a thin client is?

Do you under stand why large corporations use them and offload processing onto Citrix servers and the like?

Do you understand how it can dramatically decrease the TCO of a system?

Do you understand how it can massively streamline support?

Do you understand what a thin client is?

Do you under stand why large corporations use them and offload processing onto Citrix servers and the like?

Do you understand how it can dramatically decrease the TCO of a system?

Do you understand how it can massively streamline support?

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes.

All good points -- completely moot as he is not part of a large corp. this is just for him - but nice try.

So, I upgraded the bios from a09, to a17, lol :)

Smoothed it out a little huh, :)

I wonder then, W7 x86, or W7 x64?

Unless you plan to run more then 4GB of RAM, x64 is useless.

Tell me, what is this to be used for?

Erm, prolly general internet interface, light browsing, maybe might try light editing of pics?

vids,?

posting here? instead of the p4...;)

K' I stuck it together and loaded W7 enterprise, its running fine, but although under XP I nanaged to get the BIOS updated to A017, there is a newer BIOS A020 supposedly, but when I tried to update, it gives a windows config error, I wish I'd known that before installing W7...

Not to worry,

The new box posts here better than the old P4 haha :)