Stripped-down Xbox due in late 2013

Stripped-down Xbox due in late 2013 - Report

Noted Microsoft blogger says new ARM-powered console will ship late next year and focus on "Arcade-style games" and Kinect applications;

"true successor" coming sometime after.

Microsoft will have new hardware for gamers next year, but it won't be a next-generation console, according to noted anonymous Microsoft blogger MS Nerd. The information hound wrote on Reddit that Microsoft will ship a stripped-down Xbox in late 2013

The blogger further posits that the ARM-powered console will focus on "Arcade-style games" and Kinect applications. The technology will be "price-competitive" with Apple TV, which currently retails for $100.

MS Nerd further suggests that the "true successor" to the Xbox 360 will ship sometime after, with the next revision of Kinect due around 2015.

A Microsoft representative issued GameSpot the following statement:

"Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation."

Gamers aren't likely to have official word soon, as Microsoft has previously confirmed that it will not bring new Xbox hardware to the 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo in June, with 2012 being "all about Xbox 360."

GameSpot

I would prefer a new gen with new ips. this gen has become so stale. Ms in particular dont seem to think new exclusives are needed.

Uhh, wont ALL current Xbox games not work on this ARM processor? these "arcade-style" games would be like Windows Phone 7 games, this doesn't sound like an

xbox to me, but rather a console based Windows Phone 7, this thing is going to fail so hard as a games console, the only chance is has it as a media center device.

Uhh, wont ALL current Xbox games not work on this ARM processor? these "arcade-style" games would be like Windows Phone 7 games, this doesn't sound like an

xbox to me, but rather a console based Windows Phone 7, this thing is going to fail so hard as a games console, the only chance is has it as a media center device.

Um thats the point. Itll be a set-top device like Apple TV or Google TV, it will have a stripped down OS and have the ability to play Arcade games, I did say this months ago when the rumour originally surfaced and everyone just loled at me.

People who want to play the odd game as well as catch up TV don't want or need a games console, this thing is perfect.

• Like 3

Sounds like an Xbox Lite, for quick downloadable games. Not sure who would be in the market for such a machine, they could well prove me wrong though.

Sounds like an Xbox Lite, for quick downloadable games. Not sure who would be in the market for such a machine, they could well prove me wrong though.

People who don't want a games console, or want a companion device for the bedroom, kids room, etc..

Um thats the point. Itll be a set-top device like Apple TV or Google TV, it will have a stripped down OS and have the ability to play Arcade games, I did say this months ago when the rumour originally surfaced and everyone just loled at me.

People who want to play the odd game as well as catch up TV don't want or need a games console, this thing is perfect.

That's what I am saying though, it's not an xbox at all, it likely wont play ANY xbox live arcade games, those were created for a different cpu architecture, so to call it an xbox is wrong, it's a completely different device.

It should probably just be given a different name than Xbox, since there'll be zero compatibility between itself and the other devices, otherwise it might result in some customers being confused.

Other than that, I'm all for it.

I don't think it needs a different name if it can play Live Arcade and indie games just fine, it's only full 360 games you'd be missing. Still we know zero about the hardware, maybe it's not ARM based at all? Honestly if it is who knows how they'll handle support for arcade games but it's not just the games it's all the media services they've been adding to.

A Xbox Set-top box for $99 is a deal to me and probably to many people out there with the right marketing behind it. This might mean MS will drop the Arcade SKU from the 360 lineup if it doesn't drop it's price any lower and just lower the price on the 250GB model and kinect for 2013.

That's what I am saying though, it's not an xbox at all, it likely wont play ANY xbox live arcade games, those were created for a different cpu architecture, so to call it an xbox is wrong, it's a completely different device.

They can call it whatever they want it doesn't matter whats in it.

Like any machine/computer that transitions architecture there will be some bundled apps then other apps will come later. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has reached out to some developers asking them to create ARM versions if this rumour is true.

They can call it whatever they want it doesn't matter whats in it.

Like any machine/computer that transitions architecture there will be some bundled apps then other apps will come later. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has reached out to some developers asking them to create ARM versions if this rumour is true.

Actually there was that whole Silverlight on Xbox thing last year which seems to be the case now (unless all these new media apps/tv services are coded in something else?) So this thing could easily let developers sell their SL apps for it like on the phone and soon Windows 8 etc. The framework should be more than supported at least. If they do go that way it'd be interesting to see what comes out of it app wise.

I would prefer a new gen with new ips. this gen has become so stale. Ms in particular dont seem to think new exclusives are needed.

In what way has the current gen become so stale that a new gen would instantly fix?

Early on in a generation is usually the worst part imo. Mid to late gen is probably the best point; a great back catalog and hardware that devs know.

There is no point in having new consoles just for the sake of it.

Good idea with all the apps and bite size games because I think the current console is just a little off that perfect purchase as a media consumption device. I don't think an XBL Gold sub will go down well with this product though. They stand alone among everyone else and I think it will always stop the Xbox Live platform from reaching greater heights. The pay wall should be taken down.

https://www.youtube....h?v=0oVX9gmR4yI

They are laughing in your face with this one. Free with your HBO Subscription and Xbox Live Gold Membership.

Hmm, free you say. :laugh: I have to pay twice to get it free, thanks so much MS.

Pay to access free services like Youtube, Facebook etc. It's just ridiculous. My TV does those fine, thank you very much.

Do you honestly think the jump to next gen is going to be any different than this gen, with a new console no one is going to take any risks on a new IP that will cost more to make on a next gen console than it does current gen, all you will get are iterative releases and next gen versions of the "stale" games you already get in this gen.

I think it's an interesting idea, but marketing it as an x-box is wrong

With the price you can get a 360 for in the UK now you'd be daft to buy one of these (especially late 2013, a 360 will probably go for like ?50-70 then).

I have no idea how one of these for $100-ish would seem competitive in 2013.