Photo

Windows 8 CP and Gaming (Or, Why Won't My Games Work?!)

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 OP Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 April 2012 - 15:56

I've never found GFWL a particularly compelling platform at the best of times - in fact I've always found it pretty intrusive and unnecessary. And just because GFWL is from Microsoft doesn't mean you should expect it to be trouble free, as Skype is owned by Microsoft but performed terribly on the Developer Preview.

There's a huge difference there. GFWL is developed by Microsoft, whereas Skype was recently purchased by Microsoft and I'm not certain there has yet been a single release that was Microsoft-developed. Skype didn't just start working in the CP, either; there was an update for Skype that worked in the Dev Preview shortly after the Dev Preview was released. My daughter still Skypes regularly on the Dev Preview without issue as I haven't updated her laptop yet. Also, I never expected it to be trouble-free. I did expect there to be a large number of people complaining to Microsoft that it wasn't working, and there was nobody in any public forum that I could find. Whether it's a good platform or not it doesn't change the dependency a large number of games have on it.

You need to download the Windows 8 version. GfWL has a DLL failure in Windows 8 if you have an old version installed, and you will only get a direct error about it if you attempt to launch it manually rather than allowing a game to launch it on your behalf. If you attempt to launch the actual GfWL executable rather than only having a game run the embedded version, it will give you an error message telling you to install what I am linking to you now:

I have always had the latest version installed, and never got any errors except that the marketplace fails to load (but things you have previously purchased in the marketplace still download and install fine). That's what was aiding to my confusion: it was obviously installed correctly and the client would launch manually, but it still wouldn't load when a game was launched. Even though I have gotten it working now I may try this patch anyway and see if that resolves the marketplace issue (and hope that it doesn't mess it up again). I didn't know about the patch, so thank you for posting this!

Edit: Maybe I jumped the gun there. That's not a patch you linked me to, that's a zip file with an audio file and a powerpoint presentation.

#32 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 02 April 2012 - 16:01

I have always had the latest version installed, and never got any errors except that the marketplace fails to load (but things you have previously purchased in the marketplace still download and install fine). That's what was aiding to my confusion: it was obviously installed correctly and the client would launch manually, but it still wouldn't load when a game was launched. Even though I have gotten it working now I may try this patch anyway and see if that resolves the marketplace issue (and hope that it doesn't mess it up again). I didn't know about the patch, so thank you for posting this!

The Marketplace has been deprecated. You have to purchase games via the website now and the install option will launch the GFWL Marketplace to install it now. I'm hoping it will be integrated into the Xbox LIVE Games app in the future. It's a bit irritating to have the app show you stats about the games you own but be unable to launch them. :(

#33 ITFiend

ITFiend

ハッピー

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 02 April 2012 - 16:13

Edit: Maybe I jumped the gun there. That's not a patch you linked me to, that's a zip file with an audio file and a powerpoint presentation.

My bad. Forgot it had given me a useless link at first. I'll fix that. So long as you installed a real current verison of GfWL rather than a bundled version, everything "should" work game wise. So far as the marketplace goes, I've never used it and really just pretended it didn't exist.

http://go.microsoft..../?LinkID=201134

#34 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 April 2012 - 16:36

There's a huge difference there. GFWL is developed by Microsoft, whereas Skype was recently purchased by Microsoft and I'm not certain there has yet been a single release that was Microsoft-developed. Skype didn't just start working in the CP, either; there was an update for Skype that worked in the Dev Preview shortly after the Dev Preview was released. My daughter still Skypes regularly on the Dev Preview without issue as I haven't updated her laptop yet.

I had Skype crash just today, so it seems that the issues are still far from resolved. I appreciate that Microsoft only recently took over Skype but the deal was announced 4-5 months before the DP was even released, so you would have expected either Microsoft or Skype to have made accommodations for compatibility.

Also, if the compatibility issues you came across are limited to your machine then there wouldn't be any reason to expect a lot of complaints. In fact the lack of other complaints would strongly point to an issue with your configuration rather than a general issue. With Crysis 2 and LA Noire there are numerous forum posts discussing compatibility issues with the Consumer Preview.

#35 OP Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 02 April 2012 - 21:15

You have a valid point there, but I have not jumped to that conclusion as a certainty because it's obviously a software issue and not a hardware issue. It would thus make sense that most everybody if not everybody who installs a clean install of the CP and then installs GFWL would run into this. Obviously that's not the case. I have heard of people having issues with LA Noire, but only in this thread. I have not heard of anybody having trouble with Crysis 2. That's not surprising because I don't have either of those games, and I never searched for issues with a specific game except Bioshock 2. Most of my searches were regarding GFWL once it became obvious that's where the problem lied.

As far as Skype goes, it's been known to crash from time to time (at least for me) regardless of which OS it's running on, so I would be hesitant to point the blame at Windows 8 for that.

#36 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

Posted 02 April 2012 - 22:06

The "unofficial" Aion 64 bit client won't load at all on Win 8 but works perfectly on 7. The ncsoft launcher is only trying to load a .bin file as well which runs on the old far cry engine.

#37 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 02 April 2012 - 22:10

The 64 bit Aion client is being deprecated as of the next version anyway isn't it? As I understand it, it won't work at all in 3.0.

At any rate, forgot about Crysis 2. That was weird.

#38 JRmpls

JRmpls

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:44

I haven't read all the posts in this thread.. but I will post that Lord of the Rings online causes my Windows 8 to freeze up at random.. moving to the hot corners causes a 30-45 second lockup on the whole OS and makes the Charms Bar unusable. I wonder if anyone else has run into the same problems.

#39 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:24

The 64 bit Aion client is being deprecated as of the next version anyway isn't it? As I understand it, it won't work at all in 3.0.

At any rate, forgot about Crysis 2. That was weird.

no actually they decided to allow access to it afterall after a lot of complaints that it is still supported in Korea.

#40 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:27

Angry birds Space won't work on Windows 8 - Works fine on Windows 7

#41 OP Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:46

That's weird, I didn't have any trouble with Angry Birds Space. If you can't get it to work (and this is more of a substitution than a fix or workaround) you can always check out the Bluestacks beta and install it from the Amazon app store.

#42 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 05 April 2012 - 17:54

Angry birds Space won't work on Windows 8 - Works fine on Windows 7

I just tried the Angry Birds Space demo and it works fine. What problem are you having with it?

#43 Hiatt66

Hiatt66

Neowinian

Posted 10 April 2012 - 17:09

I haven't been able to get the original rFactor to work on Win8 CP x64. rFactor 2 works fine. The launcher does nothing when clicked.

#44 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 June 2012 - 19:59

Still can't play LA Noire. I've seen that it seems it doesn't detect properly the video card, because I would usually receive a message about how many cores or threads (dunno remember well) I want running.

#45 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2012 - 15:05

Indeed Omen. OP, don't forget that every time a piece of software crashes on WIndows 8, it sends an error report. These are extremely critical during an OS beta as it allows them to focus on the issues that most people are seeing. So make sure you choose to send error reports when prompted.

That said, don't forget that Windows 8 is in EARLY beta. The CP was it's progression from Alpha to Beta. Things like this are to be expected, and you can be sure that the Games for Windows Live stuff will be fixed maybe by RC, but certainly by RTM. In fact, isn't all the live stuff going to be built into Windows 8? I bet they'll patch all the GFWL games so they utilise W8's built in Live functionality.

Getting annoyed by the fact that beta software has bugs (shock horror!) is just stupid.

Who says we aren't reporting them? Do you even have the connect beta feedback tool installed? I use it every time a piece of software crashes on W8, AND I send an error report. Do you? I don't see the point in complaining about crashes in a forum that Microsoft doesn't keep track of.

The other problem is that game developers won't patch in support for a new version of Windows until *after* that version hits RTM - how many game publishers that aren't Microsoft would make sure their game works properly with prerelease versions of Windows? So far, I have found a grand total of ONE game that refuses to work under Windows 8 - Tera Online (neither the full client or the galkai-driven instant demo works - in any browser). I browsed the EnMasse (developer/publisher) forums on the subject, and the majority of users are just as harsh in their views about Windows 8 as some Neowinians are. Fortunately, such an attitude is far from representative (NCsoft and ArenaNet - both forums and technical support - are actually trying to help CP/RP users solve any issues they are having with their respective titles (which are, surprisingly, few and far between).