PlayStation 4: Sony

If they're going to make the consoles so similar that the games are easily ported, then I vote we could have cross console gaming. Like if I happened to buy COD whatever on PS4 and my buddy has the new Xbox, I want to be able to play online against him.

when there was any argument about ps3 vs xbox here in Neowin I use to defend PS3... Now, I dont really care... who cares about what console are the best....

buy what works for you.. So ps4 or xbox 720... i dont care which comes out first now.

exactly.. i'll have both anyways :)

and Xbox Next is a good name

God I can't stand what Microsoft kicked off with calling the second Xbox "Xbox 360"...

The amount of name speculation and some of its persistent ideas just is ridiculous.

Glassed Silver:mac

If they're going to make the consoles so similar that the games are easily ported, then I vote we could have cross console gaming. Like if I happened to buy COD whatever on PS4 and my buddy has the new Xbox, I want to be able to play online against him.

Sony might allow that, but it's unlikely MS will.

so a month ago it was no plans for a new Playstation, now all this info? wish these people would stop being so childish. if you have plans for a new product say you have plans, don't give one iota of info, but don't deny it like a five year old. anyway, this is good news, we need new hardware to rejuvenate gaming some more, this generation has been the best by far, but now it's getting to be like a friggin Mass Effect thing. time to call in the reapers to remove all this DX9 gear and take us forward. oh wait the reapers just take everything back and have everyone start from zero. forget i said that.

Oh what a wonderful world that would be.

Sony might allow that, but it's unlikely MS will.

I doubt either side would be interested in allowing it. I also imagine it would be hard to integrate 2 different online services, either technologically or logistically, from two different companies and then manage them.

Blame MS for calling the current one the Xbox 360.

why? are you going to call next playstation as "Playstaion 6"?

I doubt either side would be interested in allowing it. I also imagine it would be hard to integrate 2 different online services, either technologically or logistically, from two different companies and then manage them.

Sony already has that going, they're working with Valve.

why? are you going to call next playstation as "Playstaion 6"?

You obviously don't know what the 360 in the Xbox 360 signifies. It's good that you have a grasp of grade 2 math, but you'd need at least grade 5 to understand.

You obviously don't know what the 360 in the Xbox 360 signifies. It's good that you have a grasp of grade 2 math, but you'd need at least grade 5 to understand.

Please enlighten me or I may never know it. I like your insulting attitude btw.

Wow, sucks to be Crytek, haha.

It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft launch last this time around - and whether an early Wii U launch will actually put a spanner in the works for either player.

Once again though, the Wii U won't be competing in the same generation. They'll actually be arriving late to the last generation. Not as that did them any harm with the original Wii though (Gamecube technology basically, with a new controller). Millions of people bought them to become another expensive ornament they needed to dust every week.

Not direct competitors, so it's probably easier to rationalise.

Please enlighten me or I may never know it. I like your insulting attitude btw.

It's a circle, 360 degrees in a circle, two circles is 720 degrees. So Xbox 720 is Xbox 2 circles, while Xbox 360 is Xbox 1 circle, therefore Xbox 720 is Xbox 360 + 1

Apple too is working with Valve.

Oh what a wonderful world that would be.

It would be as simple as including a game that runs on both architectures on the disk and merely activating them on their respective consoles. The problem is that there would be practically no reason to buy one or the other so I doubt that would happen even if it was technologically simple.

Once again though, the Wii U won't be competing in the same generation. They'll actually be arriving late to the last generation. Not as that did them any harm with the original Wii though (Gamecube technology basically, with a new controller). Millions of people bought them to become another expensive ornament they needed to dust every week.

To be fair, the Wii proved it's easy enough to compete in a generation with under powered hardware - the Wii U is in the same generation as the PS4/720, it's just not as strong as them. This is like saying the PS2 is the best of the fifth generation because the rest of the sixth generation consoles far exceed it in terms of horsepower (which to be fair, both the GCN and the XBOX did). Yes, I'm aware the gap is bigger, but it's nonsense discounting it because of weaker specs. As a matter of fact, since the 5th generation, the weakest console of the generation has sold the most (PS1, PS2, Wii) and this has ALWAYS been the case in the handheld space (until the iPhone muddied the waters when talking about generation cycles).

Anyway, my hypothesis wasn't really questioned - just like the Wii, the Wii U has a big chance to be a game changer and have Sony/MS playing catch up in the interface game. However, unlike last time where the Wii was already facing the 360's year-long head start and was going toe-to-toe with the PS3 - the Wii U will go unchallenged and be the most technologically advanced games console of its time when it launches this year, this is a fact, simple. So when it brings along better visuals (potentially, depends on quality of software) and a game-changing controller and has a whole year to really drive home this fact, will improved visuals from the PS4/720, with its "last generation" controllers (I don't mean to sound fanboyish, but it's an easy PR spin for sure) be enough to steal the audience outside of the most hardcore of gamers?

THAT is what I meant by throwing a spanner in the works. Leaving Nintendo to play in the next generation for a whole year by themselves could end up disastrous for the other 2 - in a very similar manner to how letting Microsoft rule the 7th generation by themselves for a whole year ended up forcing Sony to play catch-up the whole time. Nintendo may seem a bit out of touch, with their consoles being "pretty weak", but they've been in the game long enough to know how to fight a good fight - giving them a whole year to themselves is a foolish move IMO.

People still buy consoles? Joke..Altho I'm glad to see that AMD has some business going on with them.

They really need that "ego" boost right now.