Handbrake Causing PC Laptop To Shutdown After a Few Minutes

Question

Something very interesting has been happening on my laptop. Every time I try to encode a DVD or Video file to MP4 format, after about 40 to 50% encoding progress, the PC shuts down. I noticed the bottom of it quite hot.

Now the interesting thing. If I encode to MKV format, it does not happen!!!!!! - At all !!!!!

Seems Handbrake is using more CPU power to encode to MP4 than it is to encode in MKV.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Laptop Specs:

Intel iCore i5 Quad Core CPU

8GB DDR3 RAM

Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit OS

4 answers to this question

That is odd, perhaps the system is reaching critical cpu temp and shutting down to prevent damage? I have had laptops shut off and feel hot too, so it would seem to reason that they are getting too hot! It might be interesting to see just how much CPU is being used during the encoding process, I no nothing about Linux, but I'm sure there is a way to monitor?

Try a laptop cooler, or put it above a floor vent, or some other form of fan below it and see if the same happens. It sounds like a heat issue/thermal overload protection.

That is odd, perhaps the system is reaching critical cpu temp and shutting down to prevent damage? I have had laptops shut off and feel hot too, so it would seem to reason that they are getting too hot! It might be interesting to see just how much CPU is being used during the encoding process, I no nothing about Linux, but I'm sure there is a way to monitor?

Been digging around. Quite a few people have been experiencing the same issue. Seems Handbrake is using the CPU extensively when encoding in MP4 format, but not as much when encoding in MKV. Seems that encoding in MP4 on Hanbrake takes a bigger toll on the CPU for some reason. A Handbrake bug maybe?

Try a laptop cooler, or put it above a floor vent, or some other form of fan below it and see if the same happens. It sounds like a heat issue/thermal overload protection.

Encoded on MKV format and everything was fine. It only happens when encoding to MP4.