wii-u

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:07

Wii U 'not up to the same level' as PS3, Xbox 360 - Developers

Report cites developers' gripes about next-generation Nintendo hardware; new console 'just can't quite keep up,' says one.

Yesterday reports emerged that the Wii U might be heading to shops on November 18; however, more information about Nintendo's next console also emerged that might be less pleasing to the Nintendo faithful. Speaking to GamesIndustry International, a number of anonymous developers compared the new console in unfavourable terms to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, suggesting it didn't have the graphical horsepower to compete with either, despite being able to output HD video.

"There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up," said one source. Another developer who is reportedly working on software for the new console said, "It's not up to the same level as the PS3 or the 360."

The developers also opened up on the issue of the new console's controllers. "The whole thing about the tablet controller is that you only get one of them, and you can only use one and it's not completely independent," which means that multiple players on the same console will get different experiences, which may not suit all games or all players. "Other controllers are just Wiimotes [sic], or other Wii controllers. They may change the form factor or looks a bit, but it's the same controller," the developer continued.

It was also suggested that the uniqueness of the tablet controller is likely to be severely undermined as Sony moves further towards integration of the PS3--and its successor--and the Vita. "You can do everything with that combo that you can with the Wii U, and more," GamesIndustry's source said.

#2 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:18

Wait what, Wii U can't even push the same amount of PIXELZ out as 360/PS3?

What? Just what. I'm starting to think people should replace the "Wii" with something starting with F.

#3 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:25

Wait what, Wii U can't even push the same amount of PIXELZ out as 360/PS3?

What? Just what. I'm starting to think people should replace the "Wii" with something starting with F.

The Darksiders 2 creators say differently and have said it will be similar to the PS3/360 version unless the hardware is significantly more powerful than they have been lead to believe in which case they will make it better.

#4 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:26

Should be crippingly cheap for the hardware if it can't even match the PS3 and Xbox, should compensate for the controllers, which I think will be ludicrously expensive.

#5 nominak

nominak

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:47

I find this story hard to believe considering the GPU's in the Xbox 360/PS3 are ancient by todays standards, there's no way the Wii-U has a worse GPU. It's almost physically impossible for them to be that stupid.

At its heart is a chip similar to the R770 found in AMD's last-gen cards like the 4890 and, before you dismiss it, remember the PS3 and Xbox 360 are still capable of pumping out impressive visuals while packing five-year-old silicon (The 360 is essentially running a souped up ATI X1900).

http://www.engadget....ful-than-ps3-a/

I know the story is old and could be false, but at minimum that would be the GPU to use.

#6 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:53

Shaders aren't everything.

#7 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 04 April 2012 - 16:00

Interesting that of all the conflicting rumors of its power(and there's lots of them), we only decide to post one of the bad ones. Standard neowin, i guess.

#8 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 04 April 2012 - 16:08

This is of no surprise to me.

#9 ApuBo

ApuBo

Great GRL/KAL gamer.

• Phone: Android, SGS4

Posted 04 April 2012 - 16:36

Interesting that of all the conflicting rumors of its power(and there's lots of them), we only decide to post one of the bad ones. Standard neowin, i guess.

yes so when they release the product, we will have the worst case scenario ready on our mind. so if its better than expected we will be happy, if not we care less. :p

#10 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:04

Nimtendo please use capacitive touchscreens for your controllers, ditch the resistive one the demoed controller had.

#11 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:12

Every time a new console is released, the devs dont know what to do w/ the thing for the first couple years. Graphics are on par w/ the previous gen, but gradually get better as the devs get familiar w/ the hardware. i dont see why the Wii U will be any different.

#12 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:20

Nimtendo please use capacitive touchscreens for your controllers, ditch the resistive one the demoed controller had.

I hope they ditch the touchscreen altogether. Tactile feedback helps put you in the game, IMO anyway.

#13 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:23

I hope they ditch the touchscreen altogether. Tactile feedback helps put you in the game, IMO anyway.

i think touchscreen could be useful, especially with how they demoed it could be used for inventory on zelda

#14 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:32

In my opinion Nintendo consoles have always been fun for first party games and a handful of others, but it pretty much ends there.

#15 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:33

In my opinion Nintendo consoles have always been fun for first party games and a handful of others, but it pretty much ends there.

here's hoping that will change with the Wii U like Nintendo is promising

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!