SpaceX Updates (thread 2)

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#16 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,505 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:58

A big pic of Dragon, and another of it being integrated to Falcon 9.

Hotfire still on for Monday and launch for May 10th. This ISS launch window is classified as instantaneous, meaning if they don't hit it exactly the launch has to be rescheduled for the next window.

Attached Images

• Dragon C2+ 010-70.jpg
  • Dragon C2+-800-06.jpg

#17 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:40

remixed: you father's ashes? please accept my condolences, but do explain?

Doc: thanks for the Wired interview, really awesome, i'm loving Elon more and more, he's the kind of guy we need for this. Together with Planetary Resources, this gives me so much hope (drinks another pint)

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 April 2012 - 16:17

Celestis is a company that does space burials... my mom went with them to make my dad's final dream come true. I am very irritated it keeps geting pushed back, as we need to go down there for the event. My mom keeps having to re-book the hotel over and over and she might not get a decent room as a result of this. she also has to call off work and her job is tougher to do that as it's a travelling time sensitive job. This is very unsettling for me becuase I also really need a vacation. My life is pretty much crap right now and I need to get away from the hellhole that my area is for a while. Also the 30th is when my dad died so this is a very tragic and bad time for me... it just seems like so much is hell right now for me and I miss my dad so much. (I am crying so hard typing this BTW I'm in great pain right now as a result of this turbulance and crap)

Thank you neoadorable.

#19 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,505 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:07

The Falcon 9's engine hot-fire test webcast here: http://www.spacex.com/webcast.php

Coverage starts today, April 30, 2012, at 2:30 PM ET / 11:30 AM PT

Falcon 9 / Dragon has been rolled out and is on the pad.

#20 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,505 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:53

The Falcon 9's engine hot-fire test webcast here: http://www.spacex.com/webcast.php

Coverage starts today April 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM ET / 11:30 AM PT

Falcon 9 / Dragon has been rolled out and is on the pad.

1984x3000 image below - download to see it at its best.

Attached Images

• Falcon-9-at-Launch-Pad-2-12.jpg

#21 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,505 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 22:32

NBC Cosmic Log....

SpaceX fires Falcon's rocket engines

SpaceX conducted a successful test firing of a Falcon 9 rocket's engines on its Cape Canaveral launch pad, one week before its precedent-setting launch to the International Space Station. But it took more than one try.

The initial countdown was halted just 47 seconds before the nine engines were scheduled to start up. SpaceX fixed what it called a "limit that was improperly set" on the flight computer and quickly set up another countdown. The second countdown proceeded smoothly, and the rocket's nine engines fizzed to life for two seconds as expected, at 4:15 p.m. ET today.

"Woohoo, rocket hold-down firing completed and all looks good!!" SpaceX's millionaire founder, Elon Musk, reported in a Twitter update. Meanwhile, company spokeswoman Kirstin Brost Grantham said "engineers will now review data as we continue preparations for the upcoming launch."

This was a full dress rehearsal for SpaceX's second official demonstration flight for NASA. The first demo flight, back in December 2010, sent a gumdrop-shaped Dragon space capsule into orbit for the first time. The second flight, scheduled to lift off as early as May 7, could see the Dragon go all the way to the space station.
>

#22 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,505 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:24

Sigh -

Another launch delay while NASA and SpaceX continue software tests. NET is now May 10, but we should know an exact date within a few days. Seems SpaceX is programming their VxWorks / Linux systems in C++ while the NASA Mission Control Center (MCC) programmers only speak C and FORTRAN.

Anyhow - from the Elon Musk Associated Press tweet chat -

@elonmusk

-Figuring out new no-earlier-than launch date with NASA. Should know in next few days

-SpaceX is great at making things super light. Tesla is great at mass production & batteries

-5 years max before we fly civilans.

-Am hoping to travel to orbit in about 5 years, beyond in 7 to 10.

-For humanity to have an exciting & inspiring future, we cannot be confined to Earth forever

-Definitely. Long term goal of SpaceX making life multiplanetary.

-Am highly confident that Mars can be self-sustaining without terraforming

-Rally people around the idea of making life multiplanetary with a base on Mars

#23 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,505 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:06

Finally an official new date, and a nice pic taken during the hot-fire below -

May 19 at 4:55 AM EDT. Night launch!

If this 'instant launch window' is missed the next possible target date is May 22.

New NASA TV schedule -

May 18, Friday
1 p.m. - SpaceX/Falcon 9 Dragon Pre-Launch Briefing - KSC (All Channels)

May 19, Saturday
3:30 a.m. - SpaceX/Falcon 9 Dragon Launch Coverage Begins (Launch scheduled at 4:55 a.m. EDT) - KSC (All Channels)

7:30 a.m. - SpaceX/Falcon 9 Dragon Post-Launch News Conference - KSC (All Channels)

May 21, Monday
2:30 a.m. - SpaceX/Dragon Fly-Under of the ISS Coverage - JSC (All Channels)

10 a.m. - SpaceX/Dragon Mission Status Briefing - JSC (All Channels)

May 22, Tuesday
2 a.m. - SpaceX/Dragon ISS Grapple and Berthing Coverage - JSC (All Channels)

1 p.m. - SpaceX/Dragon Mission Status Briefing (Time subject to change) - JSC (All Channels)

May 23, Wednesday
7:30 a.m. - SpaceX/Dragon Hatch Opening Coverage - JSC (All Channels)

TBD - ISS Expedition 31 Post-SpaceX/Dragon Hatch Opening Crew News Conference - JSC (All Channels)

Attached Images

• C2+ Hotfire.jpg

#24 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,505 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 16:35

They finally got some SpaceX swag at the Kennedy Space Center online store. Just shirts, a cap and C2+ mission patch so far, but Tees up to 3X.

http://www.thespaces...com/spacex.html

#25 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 14:14

remixed: sorry i didn't write again sooner. i hope you are feeling better now. what about the plans for your father's ashes, is everything ok now? you can always come to neowin for a shoulder, i've taken advantage of that a lot recently :cry:
and what's wrong with your area? please do keep us posted with how things are going!

thanks a lot for posting this Doc, and for the updated schedule. i love NASA TV and have marked my scheduler to make sure i remember to watch this! and i'm glad we can now buy SpaceX swag, i need to get some to support the Great Cause.

#26 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 18:21

We are still going.. it still looks ok for now,,,,. I am still broken and being jerked with so much about this thing... this time of year is always wonky with me though... something allways happens :-(

and my area is very depressing tons of bad stuff is going on here that's scaring me a bit.... some of it happened close to my house...

Thank you so much neoadorable... Much appreciated.

#27 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 14:10

i hope you and your family find peace. if the area is not pleasant, please move! we all had these experiences, whether it's crime or people you don't like, or whatever...it sounds like you're going through quite a lot right now, so if you can, start spending some time and energy on looking for a new place to live. after all, a domicile is one of the most basic needs, so it's not like it's wasted time and energy! you deserve to be happy where you live, it's the law in most jurisdictions around the world!

#28 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 21:35

Thank u very much...

My sis is now in the er and she's having chest pains.. damn this month has sucked. I'm so worried about her.. I'm here with her though.

#29 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,505 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 00:11

Hopes & prayers from us to you & your family too remixedcat. Hang in there kiddo.

#30 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 00:14

Thank you so much doc... means a lot to me.

I'm in the er with her and are awaiting results ....