You asked and the Hotmail Team responded. Here's the video!

As you all might recall, we reached out to Neowin members and opened our proverbial doors to your thoughts, questions, and suggestions for all things Hotmail. We had over 130 responses on the original thread and, when breaking those down, we had almost 200 questions. Thank you so much for all the enthusiasm!

When looking at your questions, we identified 22 major common topics and we answered according to these topics. Given that the whole video is a whopping 90 minutes, we broke it down into the common topics and you'll find the links below. As a reminder, we can't answer questions about future product features. However, feature suggestions - and bugs - have been relayed to our engineers.

We look forward to doing this again with you guys because the turn out and level of questions were really, really great. If you still have questions, comments, concerns, feel free to reach out to me, Galileo, here or on our Twitter handle at-TeamHotmail.

Thanks again!

Galileo and Nic

? Overview and Introdcutions

? Hotmail vs Others

? Why come back to Hotmail?

? Account management

? Data Retention

? Backup

? Managing multiple accounts

? Telephone support

? Hotmail UI and UX

? Ads

? Two-factor authentication

? Account proofs

? One-time use codes

? Banning common passwords

? Aliases

? Spam

? Safe senders

? Android

? Android App

? Aliases on android

? SkyDrive

? Attachments

? Hotmail Domain

? International Hotmail Domains

? Custom Domains

? Malware

? Calendar

? Syncing Tasks & Searching Calendar

? Managing Contacts

? Social Network Connections

? Importing Contacts

? Searching Contacts

? Contact Groups

? SMTP Support

? OSX and IMAP

? Exchange ActiveSync (EAS)

? Archiving

? Custom fonts for plain text emails

? Mark as Read with Sweep

? Developer Sandbox

? RSS Reader

? Read Receipt Requests

? Quick Replies

? PDF Viewer

? iGoogle Equivalent

? Notifications

? Privacy Policy

? SkyDrive Uploads

? Search

? Easter Eggs

? Hotmail Usage

? Marketing Plans

Thank you! It does work with the folder in the android app but it's kinda messy but it works anyways. I am so glad they took the time to do this! Excellent work!

Wow you sure did your homework on that. Sad to see my question about images not up there :(

awww my question didnt get answered :(

Lots of good details tho...

The domain thing is nice and i think ill have to look into that

They completely do not get it when it comes to two factor authentication! It's great that they have all this after-the-fact stuff to warn you, but if they gave you true 2 factor authentication (SMS code to phone during sign in) you probably wouldn't need the other crap. They might as well have said "Sorry Bro, too much trouble to actually address the problem.".

Finally just finished watching it. Awesome job!

Although unfortunate, at least I finally know there probably isn't going to be IMAP support.

I don't remember asking any questions about aliases, but thanks for the shout-out anyway! I hope I'm in the running for a free t-shirt! :rofl:

Wow, 90 minutes! Watched it all, very well done guys.

Good explanations about greymail and spam/true spam!

I have 2 Hotmail accounts that I use - one from 2009 and one from 1997.. there is a quite significant difference in the amount of true spam in general on those accounts, but I have to say that I usually only need to get rid of one or two true spam messages from the inbox on the -97 account (once a month or so), which isn't really that much of a problem. It could be so much worse considering the amount of time that address been floating around on the internet. :D

Thanks!

The lack of IMAP support is dissapointing to be honest but other than that, great video :)

The lack of IMAP support is dissapointing to be honest but other than that, great video :)

I love how they say they wont support it because it's an aging protocol yet they will continue to support the severely aged/limited pop protocol

anyway, if you're on a mac look up mbox mail, it allows you to use the IMAP protocol to sync your hotmail on a mac

Can someone make this a downloadable video? I wanted to see it on my smartphone but data rates would kill it....

Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey and grab "Youtube downloader" or "Another youtube downloader"

I could download it and host it for anyone that wants it tho.

Currently downloading this in 320p mp4 format and going to upload it to a few sites.... Please let me know how good it works. I cannot do any higher or it would take all day to upload...

mediafire--->no go 100mb limit... file is aprx 320MB... trying uploading.com for this...

anyone know of a better site let me know...

They completely do not get it when it comes to two factor authentication! It's great that they have all this after-the-fact stuff to warn you, but if they gave you true 2 factor authentication (SMS code to phone during sign in) you probably wouldn't need the other crap. They might as well have said "Sorry Bro, too much trouble to actually address the problem.".

I was a little disappointed with that too, the answer seemed to explain ways to easily get your account back after it has been compromised, rather than preventing it from being compromised in the first place.

Good video overall though.

I love how they say they wont support it because it's an aging protocol yet they will continue to support the severely aged/limited pop protocol

anyway, if you're on a mac look up mbox mail, it allows you to use the IMAP protocol to sync your hotmail on a mac

POP is here to retrieve your mail, but after that, you are disconnected from the server and you can read your emails offline.

IMAP is a connected mode, you are always connected to the server and when you make an email as read in your mail client, it will be marked as read too in the server.

EAS is basically IMAP + many others things (like contact synchronisation, push notification etc.), so there is a reason to keep POP & EAS, EAS makes IMAP useless.

See that link for more infos : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_ActiveSync

Got round to watching it today. Great video and covers loads of topics very well :).

It may be a little late but I'll give it a shot anyway ;). With the recent acquisition of Skype, do you plan to add or are there any similar features in Hotmail that Google currently offer with Google Voice in Gmail?