Typhoon sonic boom behind mysterious bang reports - MoD

Typhoon sonic boom behind mysterious bang reports - MoD

A loud bang which sparked a deluge of calls to emergency services across a large part of England was a sonic boom from a Typhoon aircraft, the MoD said.

Mystified residents across the West Midlands, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Somerset and Wiltshire reported hearing a loud boom at about 18:10 BST.

The MoD revealed it was from a Typhoon responding to an emergency call.

_59627846_typhoon_generic_464.jpg

A Coventry resident said: "I thought somebody had thrown a brick through the window."

A sonic boom is created as an aircraft breaks the sound barrier, causing a high-energy shockwave.

The Ministry of Defence initially said it was investigating what was behind the loud noise, but a spokesman later confirmed it was from one of two RAF Typhoons that had been launched following an emergency call from a helicopter.

Source and more.

Anyone hear it?

I hear booms every night. If you listen carefully you can tell if they are Chinese 105mm rockets incoming or outgoing artillery. Afghanistan is fun.

means you are posting from afghanistan ... ?? :huh:

My girlfriend heard it in Coventry. At the time, she thought it was someone dragging a wheelie bin or something across a path. It was that type of rumbling, but only a lot louder.

Reports are that they were responding to a helicopter signal that falsely put out a signal suggesting it was hijacked or had 'gone rogue' by mistake. The Typhoon's were scrambled as a precaution.

Now, I don't think it was a UFO, but I think the helicopter signal was something more than a mistake.