Windows Phone 8 Coming to *all* Windows Phones

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/17/windows-phone-8-available-all-devices/

We've heard it rumored, but this is as close to an official confirmation as we've seen. Windows Phone 8, affectionately known as Apollo 'round these parts, will reportedly be available on every single Windows Phone device to ever ship. Let that sink in a second. Now that you've been appropriately wowed, we'll point you to the video just after the break, which shows a Microsoft spokesperson affirming that "all" devices -- including those first-generation handsets from LG and Samsung -- will be included in the WP8 rollout. No details regarding timing were revealed -- and it remains to be seen if this will prove true in the States, where carriers have just as much say on updates as the OEMs -- but you can consider us cautiously optimistic in the meantime.

Glad to hear (if it is indeed true).

Not making an official announcement on this is hurting the platform (putting off people who want it, but don't want to risk not getting WP8).

Why is this such a news? Isn't Microsoft saying from all along, that it will happen?

From what I can tell, they've said absoletly nothing.

I'm gonna get the Lumia 900 when it launched in the UK, however with the rumour that WP8 will support retina resolutions, I'll be picking up another Windows Phone when a High-Res one launches too.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

OHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASE

MS had been strangely quiet on this subject. While this is apparently good news why hasnt someone from the WP team come out and say it. I think the general feeling around here is gen 1 devices needed the ability to get Apollo. Apple can get away with cutting off older phones from any new OS updates, but MS cant afford to do it.

and now the pain of waiting.. I mean, I like the Mango 7.5 but it's still lacking a few areas.. another major update and it will be almost a perfect OS

So will this mean

All Windows Mobile phones will be upgraded

All Windows Mobile phones *may* get upgraded (depending on carrier)

or this is just a someone who will be correct because they "mis-spoke".

now word is current phones wont get apollo. the back and forth news is kind of depressing. especially since I want to walk in to my local AT&T store on sunday and get the white 900. Now I wait. One has to wonder that maybe Nokia devices will get the upgrade and others wont. We know the special partnership between Nokia and Microsoft. Maybe Nokia said our phones will have to get the Apollo update if we are going to to business. As a potential Nokia owner that would put me at ease. Even the most hardcore WP fanboy has to be fuming at this back and forth lately.

So will this mean

All Windows Mobile phones will be upgraded

All Windows Mobile phones *may* get upgraded (depending on carrier)

or this is just a someone who will be correct because they "mis-spoke".

No Windows Mobile phones will be upgraded. This only applies to Windows Phone.

To date the only official WP8 statement from MS is that all WP7 apps WILL RUN on WP8. That's all they said so far, much like how MS is quiet about Windows 8 they're just not talking about WP8 yet.

I expect news to start flowing out after the tango update hits, expect interesting things in the summer.

I'll be dropping the platform if they don't support my phone.

I'm sick of being an early adopter and getting stomped for it. It's beyond pathetic.

now word is current phones wont get apollo. the back and forth news is kind of depressing. especially since I want to walk in to my local AT&T store on sunday and get the white 900. Now I wait. One has to wonder that maybe Nokia devices will get the upgrade and others wont. We know the special partnership between Nokia and Microsoft. Maybe Nokia said our phones will have to get the Apollo update if we are going to to business. As a potential Nokia owner that would put me at ease. Even the most hardcore WP fanboy has to be fuming at this back and forth lately.

If you look at what the Verge and Mary Joe were actually told:

"We have stated publicly that all apps in our Marketplace today will run on the next version of Windows Phone. Beyond that, we have nothing to share about future releases."

They were told that there wouldn't be a compatibility isssue between version 7 and 8. They chose not to comment on upgrades and certainly did not say that phones would not be upgraded.

I'll be dropping the platform if they don't support my phone.

I'm sick of being an early adopter and getting stomped for it. It's beyond pathetic.

This argument is fine, if that's how you feel, but how is it different on the other platforms? Each of the other two will, at some point, not support whatever phone you do own at the time. Sure you can root your phone and then install the newer version unofficially but you can do the same with WP to date. Hell, if you want to be bold there are early tango ROMs floating out there you can install on your phone today.

I too am an early adopter to WP, I got my LG Optimus 7 a few months after it hit but when WP8 comes out it'll be 2 years for me, and probably every early adopter as well. Going by that logic, it's time for a update to my hardware and while it'd be nice to just upgrade to v8 on my LG it'd also be nice to just get better hardware after 2 years of 1Ghz and 5MP camera etc. Honestly let's just wait and see, MS hasn't said anything official yet as far as yes or no goes.

ha yea I see all WP not WM phones

Guess my trusty Diamond Touch will have to stick with WM6.1 :D

(Yes I know 6.5 ports work but they really don't work 100%)

This argument is fine, if that's how you feel, but how is it different on the other platforms?

There hasn't been a single iOS device that was only supported for one major software version. More importantly than just OS version numbers though, there hasn't been a single iOS device that wasn't officially supported for at least 2 years (albeit not all the features of the update are available towards the end of this period). But surely you and/or the other early adopters would prefer WP8 to some extent than no WP8 features at all? Not everyone buys a smartphone every 2 years.

With Microsoft staying so tight-lipped on the issue, it seems unlikely to me that WP8 is coming to all Windows Phones; otherwise I see no reason why they wouldn't formally and officially announce this sooner rather than later. While Apple and Google don't need to discuss software support cycles due to their market position, some clarification on this upgrade uncertainty from Microsoft might serve to appease potential customers that are on the fence about buying, or even switching to, a WP device.

Nuno Silva, the man who made the statement that all WP devices will get Apollo, is a Micorsoft employee for quite a few years. Mary-Jo Foley, who said she has a source that says that current WP devices will NOT be updated to WindowsPhone 8, is the same person who predicted jack ****, about Microsoft's Skype acquisition, Microsoft - Nokia partnership and Windows 8 UI.

Do the math.

Honestly, if Microsoft can't update past devices, Windows Phone is sunk. period.

There's no reason why 1s and 2nd gen can't get the update, when Apple delivers, and Google.... well, tries. People are locked into two year contracts, that make it all but impossible to go out and shell out for new phones. I'm not gonna pay money for a ecosystem that won't support me for that time period.

• Like 2

Glad to hear (if it is indeed true).

Not making an official announcement on this is hurting the platform (putting off people who want it, but don't want to risk not getting WP8).

Agreed. Microsoft really needs to make a statement one way or the other...