Galaxy S III appears in Vietnam

Did the Samsung Galaxy S III just appear in Vietnam?

sgs3.jpg

Whoa, there. We're still weeks away from an official big stage unveiling, but it looks like Samsung's next Galaxy phone is already out there. Vietnamese site Tinhte, which has past formon these kind of things, has got it hands on the GT-I9300 -- purportedly the Galaxy S III if Samsung decides to follow its own naming convention. According to the specifications leaked, the phone houses a 4.6-inch display at 720 x 1184 resolution (320 DPI, depending on whether you include those on-screen Android buttons), while a quad-core 1.4 GHz processor works on keeping the Ice Cream Sandwich OS running smoothly. Other hardware mentions include 1GB of RAM, 8-megapixel camera, 16GB of storage plus microSD capability.

According to Tinhte, the 2,050mAh battery will arrive with NFC capabilities baked in, like theGalaxy Nexus before it. There's an iffy plastic rim surrounding to the whole device that has apparently been added not to ruin the surprise of how the device looks ahead of its official launch. While we've seen some similar hardware leaks already, this video makes a very strong case for it being the real deal. Take a look for yourself right after the break, alongside a picture of the back.

Update: It looks our source link has disappeared and the video has now gone private. Fortunately, we grabbed our own copy of the video and you can find it below.

Update 2: We reached out to Samsung for a comment, and here's the not-so-surprising response:

"We will be able to tell you more at the 2012 Samsung Mobile Unpacked."

Galaxy S III: latest alleged leak not accurate, name still unconfirmed;

tightest security 'ever' for a Samsung launch

The Verge has learned from a source familiar with Samsung's plans that the latest images claiming to be of the long-rumored Galaxy S III ? first posted by Gizmodo Brasil? are not correct. They are on the right track, though: Samsung is using what are described as "generic test boxes" to put the next Galaxy model's internals through quality checks, presumably to allow employees to use the phones off of company premises without being spotted. We're being told that Gizmodo's images are of one of those dummy boxes. "That's not even close to the final design," we're told. "No leaks of the final design have been accurate."

Our source tells us that security surrounding the preparation and launch of the Galaxy S III is tighter than it has ever been for any product in the company's history. Indeed, the sheer number of supposed leaks over the past few months ? many of which have proven to be completely bogus ? speaks volumes about the buzz surrounding this handset, and Samsung is clearly looking to capitalize on the hype in every way that it can. Security is so tight, in fact, that our source can't even confirm the Galaxy S III name: Samsung is only using the phrase "next Galaxy" on its invites for the May 3rd event in London, so there aren't any official hints apart from the obvious one that the Galaxy brand will continue.

720 x 1184 resolution

I hope it really is bogus info. Otherwise - what kind of a f* up resolution is that? 9:16 is 720 x 1280 and 10:16 is 720 x 1152 (or 800 x 1280)

I hope it really is bogus info. Otherwise - what kind of a f* up resolution is that? 9:16 is 720 x 1280 and 10:16 is 720 x 1152 (or 800 x 1280)

ICS calls for on-screen buttons (some manufacturers follow it, some don't), so it really is 1280x720 resolution, but 1184x720 is the usable screen real estate.

What's the differences between the Nexus? Seems very samey

Except Nexus looks much, much better

Did anyone read the article? It's in a housing for internal testing of the device only. It's not what the phone will look like.

I was expecting more. :/

I am running ICS on my SkyRocket and its OK. I miss my iPhone 4S in the ways of music ( i know most hate iTunes, I liked it).

Don't get me wrong, I much rather carry my SkyRocket than 4S but... I was hoping more in the S3.

ICS calls for on-screen buttons (some manufacturers follow it, some don't), so it really is 1280x720 resolution, but 1184x720 is the usable screen real estate.

Ok then, thanks for clearing that up for me.

One thing, though - what about viewing 720p video? Does ICS overlay those buttons over image and other controls? :|

Does ICS overlay those buttons over image and other controls? :|

Nope.

Of course not.

In Nexus, they appear as three dots, and minimize themselves, in apps like those. Not sure about that TouchWiz though

One thing I noticed in the video that doesn't line up is the fact that it said it had a Mali 400 GPU. I don't know if this is cause for reason to call it fake, or if the sys info app just doesn't know the newer chip it has, or if it really does have a Mali 400 GPU. If it does, that would be a major disappointment and that alone would cause me not to buy it. I'm really hoping that's not the case.

Except Nexus looks much, much better

Its in a dummy plastic case what do you expect?

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-previewed-within-plastic-dummy-case

I was expecting more. :/

I am running ICS on my SkyRocket and its OK. I miss my iPhone 4S in the ways of music ( i know most hate iTunes, I liked it).

Don't get me wrong, I much rather carry my SkyRocket than 4S but... I was hoping more in the S3.

Its a leak not the actual product release... We dont know if this real or not!!

The leaks has been happening for few months now so dont judge untill the official product is released.

Most overhyped Samsung product launch ever. It's just a phone.

exactly. btw the processing power of this "smart" phones are equivalent to a +10 years old intel. Nothing but s*it

Linpack_multi.png

exactly. btw the processing power of this "smart" phones are equivalent to a +10 years old intel. Nothing but s*it

Linpack_multi.png

Probably... but you're comparing desktop/laptop processors to smartphone processors...which is ridiculous. A desktop processor in a smartphone would be overkill.

Probably... but you're comparing desktop/laptop processors to smartphone processors...which is ridiculous. A desktop processor in a smartphone would be overkill.

ok, but a s2 has a dualcore processor, and this one might have a quadcore, what are they trying to do?. Fool the ppl with the cores and speed or what?. Im really disappointed of ARM right now.

ok, but a s2 has a dualcore processor, and this one might have a quadcore, what are they trying to do?. Fool the ppl with the cores and speed or what?. Im really disappointed of ARM right now.

So Intel and AMD are fooling us with cores and speed? I don't call better performance a problem, esp keeping the same or lower TDP.

Most overhyped apple product launch ever. It's just a phone tablet.

See what I did there? samsungs not the only one doing it.

See what I did there? samsungs not the only one doing it.

It is a big phone - I had the exact same feeling before I upgraded to my Galaxy Nexus. I was using a Droid Incredible - 3.7" screen, so I was scared to upgrade to a phone with a big display. My ideal phone would be 4.0" (4.3" MAX) edge to edge display with a 1280x720 resolution, and have capacitive buttons for home/menu/back/search. One can only dream...