MS : Windows Release Preview (RC)- First Week of June

So today I went to one of my competitors place of business today to chitchat with him. I was in the area. Lets just say after talking to him my grandma knows as much about Windows 8 than he does. He knows NOTHING!. I don't think he's even seen videos or screenshots of it. He said "I'm kind of weird that way! I don't like to fill my grey matter with stuff I won't have to worry about for a while".

He knows nothing about what it looks like, he knows nothing about the Metro Title interface and was surprised when I told him the start button is going to be gone / hidden. Why exactly is he hearing it from me for the first time? He is never any fun to talk to, because he is never current on anything new.

Than I guess you have nothing to worry about, but it's his loss really. He'll be in for a shock.

Whats the point when things are subject to change, worry about it when it goes RTM.

Things will change, but at this point the feature set is set in stone, so if you're running the beta right now, you're good to go for RTM.

Whats the point when things are subject to change, worry about it when it goes RTM.

I guess there are those who work with computers as just a job and those who have passion. There are those who work on computers even when they aren't working and those who only touch a computer 9 to 5.

My point is the OS isn't even out yet why waste time learning about it, early adopters are the kind of people who already know about Windows so are unlikely to either ask advice or get repair help from their local computer shop.

I don't run a business but I do PC repairs and I couldn't give a flying fig about Windows 8 and won't till it goes RTM.

Metro IE

============================================
RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
--------------------------------------------
Total:				  394.6ms +/- 0.6%

IE 10 Desktop

Total:				  377.4ms +/- 0.4%

Oh , so it went other way round this time? Umm sorry to disturb so much :p But please compare Firefox/Chrome too so that we get an idea...

When you say that its almost like CP but lil faster etc , i believe Win8 is either gonna be a super hit or a super fail , MS showed how they are going to bring vast changes in RC -> RTM period , things are likely to break , or are likely to be even better , too. So we don't really know , I just hope consumers don't start mailing Steve about how Win8 RTM is broken here , or some window still has aero ! It makes me think that is Win8 development so poorly managed? They think of new UI without Aero after prolly 3/4th of development ? Bad days *might* come it seems :|

I guess there are those who work with computers as just a job and those who have passion. There are those who work on computers even when they aren't working and those who only touch a computer 9 to 5.

I have a passion for computers but I don't care about Windows 8 either way. They way you deride him just because he doesn't spend every waking moment learning about an alpha OS is pretty sad.

I don't run a business but I do PC repairs and I couldn't give a flying fig about Windows 8 and won't till it goes RTM.

True, but to be fair up to this point you have seen the new Metro Tile UI, right?

Oh , so it went other way round this time? Umm sorry to disturb so much :p But please compare Firefox/Chrome too so that we get an idea...

Yep just installing FF etc now, this is running on an nVidia 8200M G laptop so their not going to be great

No point in video demos, its nearly identical to the CP

Here is the music app (Not my music :p), bear in mind most things are not working because I had to install it by extracting .wim and thus no product key thus nothing really works

Umm :/ so basically they are still useless and hide user's music/videos in an out of view part of UI!

Not liking these app(s) focused more on selling instead of playing.

When you say that its almost like CP but lil faster etc , i believe Win8 is either gonna be a super hit or a super fail , MS showed how they are going to bring vast changes in RC -> RTM period , things are likely to break , or are likely to be even better , too. So we don't really know , I just hope consumers don't start mailing Steve about how Win8 RTM is broken here , or some window still has aero ! It makes me think that is Win8 development so poorly managed? They think of new UI without Aero after prolly 3/4th of development ? Bad days *might* come it seems :|

Firefox 12

Total:				  478.2ms +/- 0.4%

3d:				    82.3ms +/- 1.0%
    cube:			    31.3ms +/- 1.5%
    morph:			   20.6ms +/- 2.4%
    raytrace:		    30.4ms +/- 1.2%

access:			    35.9ms +/- 1.5%
    binary-trees:		 5.5ms +/- 6.8%
    fannkuch:		    14.0ms +/- 0.0%
    nbody:			    7.0ms +/- 0.0%
    nsieve:			   9.4ms +/- 3.9%

bitops:			    24.1ms +/- 2.6%
    3bit-bits-in-byte:    1.6ms +/- 23.1%
    bits-in-byte:		 7.4ms +/- 5.0%
    bitwise-and:		  7.0ms +/- 4.8%
    nsieve-bits:		  8.1ms +/- 5.0%

controlflow:		    4.5ms +/- 8.4%
    recursive:		    4.5ms +/- 8.4%

crypto:			    47.0ms +/- 1.6%
    aes:				 20.9ms +/- 1.1%
    md5:				 17.7ms +/- 2.0%
    sha1:				 8.4ms +/- 4.4%

date:				  71.3ms +/- 1.2%
    format-tofte:	    35.8ms +/- 2.5%
    format-xparb:	    35.5ms +/- 1.1%

math:				  39.1ms +/- 4.0%
    cordic:			   7.1ms +/- 3.2%
    partial-sums:	    25.3ms +/- 5.3%
    spectral-norm:	    6.7ms +/- 5.2%

regexp:			    24.6ms +/- 1.5%
    dna:				 24.6ms +/- 1.5%

string:			   149.4ms +/- 0.8%
    base64:			  10.7ms +/- 3.2%
    fasta:			   16.4ms +/- 3.0%
    tagcloud:		    49.8ms +/- 1.6%
    unpack-code:		 55.3ms +/- 0.6%
    validate-input:	  17.2ms +/- 2.6%

Umm :/ so basically they are still useless and hide user's music/videos in an out of view part of UI!

Not liking these app(s) focused more on selling instead of playing.

I haven't copied any music to it yet so just seeing what the app already shows, I`ll copy some across in a bit

Thanks!

So IE10 desktop is about 20% faster in SS (though its not really a good bench)

Chrome 19

Total:				  414.1ms +/- 0.7%

3d:				    62.1ms +/- 1.5%
    cube:			    18.3ms +/- 2.6%
    morph:			   18.9ms +/- 1.2%
    raytrace:		    24.9ms +/- 2.1%

access:			    33.2ms +/- 2.4%
    binary-trees:		 3.0ms +/- 15.9%
    fannkuch:		    14.1ms +/- 1.6%
    nbody:			   10.2ms +/- 4.4%
    nsieve:			   5.9ms +/- 6.9%

bitops:			    27.4ms +/- 1.8%
    3bit-bits-in-byte:    2.1ms +/- 25.1%
    bits-in-byte:		 7.5ms +/- 5.0%
    bitwise-and:		  5.6ms +/- 6.6%
    nsieve-bits:		 12.2ms +/- 2.5%

controlflow:		    4.5ms +/- 13.5%
    recursive:		    4.5ms +/- 13.5%

crypto:			    34.2ms +/- 2.2%
    aes:				 12.7ms +/- 3.8%
    md5:				 10.0ms +/- 3.4%
    sha1:			    11.5ms +/- 6.0%

date:				  38.5ms +/- 2.0%
    format-tofte:	    19.5ms +/- 3.6%
    format-xparb:	    19.0ms +/- 2.5%

math:				  30.5ms +/- 3.7%
    cordic:			   5.4ms +/- 9.3%
    partial-sums:	    18.2ms +/- 3.6%
    spectral-norm:	    6.9ms +/- 3.3%

regexp:			    17.0ms +/- 2.0%
    dna:				 17.0ms +/- 2.0%

string:			   166.7ms +/- 0.9%
    base64:			  11.1ms +/- 5.6%
    fasta:			   18.0ms +/- 2.6%
    tagcloud:		    50.0ms +/- 2.0%
    unpack-code:		 62.7ms +/- 1.4%
    validate-input:	  24.9ms +/- 3.7%

alright , 20% faster than FF12 , and 9% faster than Chrome19 in SS. Seems like IE10 is decent enough now ; HTML5 wise , HA wise , Performance wise (though they use cheatcodes for SS :p )

do .mkv files play by default? Can windows explorer see the duration, bitrate, resolution of .mkv files?

Ghost Adventures MKV will not play in Desktop WMP , and being in Chinese I can't see a way to ask it to play in Metro Video Player

Doesn't look like explorer can see anything other than the file size, but I can't add more tabs because they are all in Chinese too

Ghost Adventures MKV will not play in Desktop WMP , and being in Chinese I can't see a way to ask it to play in Metro Video Player

Doesn't look like explorer can see anything other than the file size, but I can't add more tabs because they are all in Chinese too

right click > properties > "change" ?

or

right click > properties > open with ?

for reference of position :

post-293012-0-68412000-1338408994.png

post-293012-0-02206700-1338409115.png

Also , can you post how Explorer with Windows 8 Aero theme , and Explorer with Windows 8 Basic (aero lite) look like ?

right click > properties > "change" ?

or

right click > properties > open with ?

I think it's all Chinese letters so he has no clue what they mean

d.png

6.png

Tried the "Open with" method, there is no option for Metro Video Player, and whatever the other link says, it opens the Store which doesn't work at all

Thanks! Oh i see this "x" @ lower left position of finance ...

Also please post Aero Basic theme look too

And does messenger now support Google Talk/Chat ?

(lawl you must be like ,"Oh God why did i ever tell these kids that i got Win8 RP working")

Thanks! Oh i see this "x" @ lower left position of finance ...

Also please post Aero Basic theme look too

And does messenger now support Google Talk/Chat ?

(lawl you must be like ,"Oh God why did i ever tell these kids that i got Win8 RP working")

Not sure about messenger, I`m not even sure if it will let me use it with not being activated

a.png

So media files now default to opening in WMP instead of Metro style Videos? That's an interesting change in itself, isn't it? Are there separate defaults for opening file types from within desktop apps / Explorer and elsewhere now, like there are with opening links in IE (a change that was made between DP and CP)?

So media files now default to opening in WMP instead of Metro style Videos? That's an interesting change in itself, isn't it? Are there separate defaults for opening file types from within desktop apps / Explorer and elsewhere now, like there are with opening links in IE (a change that was made between DP and CP)?

No the .mkv didn't have a default player, it had a weird green and white icon, might be a missing file icon, not sure, can't find it again, I made WMP the default trying to play it.