[MacBook] Booting to Linux from USB

macbook linux usb

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 gumblecosby

gumblecosby

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2012 - 17:43

try rEFInd. Its a fork of refit currently under development. http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Found it in this thread: http://ubuntuforums..../t-1932652.html

Said to be compatible with lion, but the dev says its still in alpha compared to refit which was beta software

#17 butilikethecookie

butilikethecookie

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2012 - 17:46

Try to hold the "c" key at boot

#18 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:08

try rEFInd. Its a fork of refit currently under development. http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Found it in this thread: http://ubuntuforums..../t-1932652.html

Said to be compatible with lion, but the dev says its still in alpha compared to refit which was beta software

will have to check this out, been wanting to set up a tri-boot

#19 OP whitebread

whitebread

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:29

Try to hold the "c" key at boot

Thanks, will try that. :)

To everyone else... Thank you for your feedback. Now that I know it is possible to boot from USB on my MacBook, I will return to Google and keep searching for how to do it. :)

#20 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 03 May 2012 - 17:58

Thanks, will try that. :)

To everyone else... Thank you for your feedback. Now that I know it is possible to boot from USB on my MacBook, I will return to Google and keep searching for how to do it. :)

but once again, that only works if the flash-drive is formatted correctly
edit: wait, isn't "c" to boot directly into a CD? i thought it was a different button for usb

either way, if you have set up the flash-drive correctly it should show on the list menu when you hold alt/option at boot

#21 Ntrstd

Ntrstd

Neowinian

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:17

but once again, that only works if the flash-drive is formatted correctly
edit: wait, isn't "c" to boot directly into a CD? i thought it was a different button for usb

either way, if you have set up the flash-drive correctly it should show on the list menu when you hold alt/option at boot

Here's what I have tried on an old PowerBook G4 Titanium Model A1025:
If your Power Mac doesn't boot or it has already booted another operating system, reboot and press and hold the 'c' key immediately after the welcome chime. Alternatively you can press and hold the Alt key to get the Power Mac's boot menu.

after chime:
Alt – works, brings up drives for boot.
c – doesn't work by itself.
hold c until you see the apple, and then immediately release that and hold apple and v until you get text - works
t – brings up Firewire logo (wants Firewire drive).

Open Firmware - (it's like a unix command line in ROM). Restart your iMac while holding down Command+Option+O+F. This will place you in Open Firmware. – works.

non-apple KB with the windows key it was ctrl-win-o-f to get openfirmware up

ctrl-apple-o-f to get openfirmware up – doesn't work

#22 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:40

I have a late 2006 MacBook Pro and the superdrive wouldn't read disks. I tried installing Windows from a USB stick (using appropiate guides and tested that it worked fine on a PC) and even an External DVD drive. It doesn't work, then I read somewhere that booting from USB only with Mac OS X. I had no problems booting Snow Leopard DVD in an external USB DVD Drive or from a USB stick (using appropiate guide). I ended up fixing the Superdrive (turns out it was just a dirty lens and used a lens cleaning disk to much success even though I was skeptical about then) and was able to boot the Windows disc from the internal superdrive.

#23 Princess Katie Pixie

Princess Katie Pixie

Princess Katie Pixie

• Phone: Too many phones =)

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:57

The simplest way to boot from a external drive or a CD is going through System Preferences. Under Startup disk select your desired location and click Reboot.

It's that simple.