Do you enjoy using Java?

Do you enjoy using Java?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy using Java?

• I love Java <3
    • Kill it with fire

Inspired by a post about Android in another subforum.

Also I've never met anyone who likes using Java so I'm curious if these people exist.

[x] Kill it with fire.

edit: In case people misunderstand what I mean, I meant Java Language.

Not sure if you meant using applications made with Java or making Java applications.

In my case it's actually a bit of both but what I hate the most is making Java apps :(

Not sure if you meant using applications made with Java or making Java applications.

In my case it's actually a bit of both but what I hate the most is making Java apps :(

I edited. I meant using the language itself to make applications. :p

Well, I wouldn't say kill it with fire as it does have its good points. (Except the browser plugins, those do need to be killed with fire.) Being able to do the proverbial "write once, run anywhere" is a pretty handy feature to have. Well documented, lots of code out there to work with, etc etc. But the performance can be fairly underwhelming, the GUI toolkits are atrocious, and the language itself is kind of a disjointed mess.. C# is just much more streamlined and nicer to work with.

Java is a good language. I happen to like it, though it's not my favorite.

The absolute worst thing about Java development are the IDEs. I have tried all of the free ones and none are good. Some are slow and bulky. Others are a pain to use. And all of them look like crapware from the early 90s.

I personally prefer C# because it offers all of the same benefits that Java does, but with a whole lot more to offer. And with the advent of Visual Studio Express, it's a much more compelling option for independent/hobby developers. (in my opinion)

• Like 1

The absolute worst thing about Java development are the IDEs. I have tried all of the free ones and none are good. Some are slow and bulky. Others are a pain to use. And all of them look like crapware from the early 90s.

I personally prefer C# because it offers all of the same benefits that Java does, but with a whole lot more to offer. And with the advent of Visual Studio Express, it's a much more compelling option for independent/hobby developers. (in my opinion)

This .. you sir are a mind reader!

You're so right.....and I also have a problem with the 20 thousand frameworks that all do the same thing in a slightly different way and are all mostly incompatible with each other

I dunno -- I agree that most of them are awful and painfully slow, even some of the paid ones like IntelliJ are slooooow. Eclipse is fairly decent though.. it's no speed demon but it tends to be noticeably quicker than most others. Has a few nice features that I wish Visual Studio 2010 had too.. Mylyn for example. Visual Studio has a few nice alternatives but tends to be something monstrously big like TFS or grossly underpowered.

Both have useless gui. Now, if Qt was available for C#. I'd be all over C# again, but they don't. Java has no decent gui whatsoever. C# is what Java should've been.

I started studying Java in school thinking I would pursue a CS minor, and quit after one class. I think, having gone back and taught myself programming later on, had I been exposed to any other language, I would have stuck it out.

Java is a good programming language. the only problem is the IDE.

The current IDE's are not easy like the Visual Studio.

Its just a little painful.

Java is a great language. Very versatile and can help you accomplish anything.

The bad things is Oracle PR. Oracle has horrible reputation for obvious reasons and its reputation is spewing over to JAVA 7.

The other bad thing is things like Eclipse. Eclipse is very slow compared to Visual Studio for example. It is just bad in terms of performance.

The last thing is the older JAVA versions as they have vulnerabilities and destroy the reputation of the latest JAVA 7 releases with all security features and stuff.

Out of all the programming languages I've used up until now (more than a dozen) Java definately ranks on the first place in terms of hatred?

Have you used objective-C?

Have you used objective-C?

Nope, the syntax alone has kept me from using that abomination. (Apart from the fact that IMHO ObjC is completely useless if you aren't using a Mac?)

• Like 2

I don't even know it's there most of the time. I only install it for websites.

Fire? Nuke that bitch.

Java should have never existed in the first place. This is the one time I hope in some distant future, MS open sources .NET (more so C#) so it can be used anywhere and on anything.

Java sucks. Plain and simple.

Prefer C#. I don't mind it as much as how it's used in frameworks and such, getting a web app running with it is much more of a headache than in C#. Tried using Spring Roo, what a headache, took hours just to set it up right. And don't even try to combine different Java packages, try integrating Spring and Google App Engine. Like I said, I'll take C# and ASP.NET MVC for web development over Java packages any day.

Java should have never existed in the first place.

Why? Because you dislike it?

It's an awesome introductory language, versatile and works on nearly any platform.

• Like 2

I used to like Java and then Java 1.5 happened. IDEs aren't an issue because I only ever use either Vim or Visual Studio. :)

P.S. I do feel that 1.7 and 1.8 are on the road to redemption but why would anyone choose Java now over C# when they have a free choice?

For me it's an amazing language to work with. One of my clients uses AS400's and I wrote a credit card processing system using java, I could write and compile on my mac then upload to the as400. It also means that windows users can also run the same code. This just isn't possible unless you have the time to learn PRG or COBAL, now that's something nobody wants to do :) .

• Like 1