To make Firefox shine on this unique environment, the UX team on MetroUI project has been focusing on solving some design challenges, such as: delivering a consistent “Firefoxy” experience and also making it native on Metro; designing an equally awesome experience of Firefox Metro on desktop using mouse and keyboard.
Another challenge for me as a UX designer is prototyping and testing a product that has a brand new touch language. I found it hard to simulate the W8 touch experience in a quick and dirty way, withouting building a functional product. In order to get the experience out and gain enough feedback to iterate, I decided to “video sketch” the Start Page of Firefox Metro by just using Keynote.
Making a video sketch by Keynote is simple:
- Step 1: Create a user story. Write a script with scenes.
- Step 2: Place your mockups into Keynote, put them in sequence to match the scenes you created.
- Step 3: Link your mockups together(create animations, page transitions, or maybe just hotspot link)
- Step 4: Record your slideshow
- Step 5: Export as Quicktime movie